Small, casual vegetarian cafe with hand-painted art decorate the tables and the colorful walls. Menu usually includes a daily soup, salads and sandwiches, a main hot plate, weekly specials, and desserts. No alcohol. NOTE: Their other location at 47A boulevard Montclair shut down in early 2012. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Canadian, Western, Take-out

Lola Crumpet
Lola Crumpet

Hippy Alert, Eat HERE!

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2012

Cafe Gaia is great. The service and food are just like the old days when veg was just coming in. This place is the "real deal." On our list for sure. I think there are 2 places in Gatineau, one on Laval and the other not too far away. It's just lovely.

Pros: Great food, Good service, People care/nice patio
Cons: none
gwild
gwild

not bad- a bit pricey for what you get

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2011

I ordered the brown rice with veggies and tofu, and ginger sauce for $14. Ten minutes later they came back and said the only veggies they have left are carrots and red cabbage and would I like something else. So I changed my order to the moussaka for $14. It was good with lots of cheese. It came with a side salad which was very fresh.
My spouse had a sandwich with pesto, olives, cheddar, mozzarella and tomatoes for $9. As you can probably see in the photo it would be easy to make at home and seemed quite pricey considering.
My son had a sandwich with Brie and apples and tomatoes. Once again it was good but not outstanding. My daughter had the veggie burger for $9. It doesn't make our list of best veggie burgers.
The restaurant was very small and the service was slow. The outside was a bit run down. La belle Verte, a nearby vegetarian restaurant, is much better.

Pros: organic, fresh
Cons: slow service, bit pricey, small
jedzen
jedzen

Good food, good service

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2010

I went once with my boyfriend and we had a good experience. I ordered something really simple : a salad. There was greens, sprouts, nuts and seeds, tofu and figs on it. It was colorful and tasted fresh. My boyfriend had steamed veggies with coconut/peanut butter sauce, and that was really good. We had glasses of wine also. The choices for vegan desserts are limited. They had raspberry-oatmeal cookies or date squares. The guy working there was really friendly and seemed to be alone to do the service and to cook. When we asked about the menu he seemed to know a lot and was really helpful. All of the plates were vegetarian but some of them were not vegan, like lasagna and other food, but it's also easy to ask for vegan options. There was not a lot of people so the service was rather quick. I have nothing wrong to say about that charming, colorful little place.

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Gaia: