CLOSED: Cafe Fresh

Veggie cafe. Daily changing menu offers 3 soups, a wide range of main dishes, and a variety of salads. There is a choice of 4 different sandwiches each day. Also serves a variety of teas, including herbal teas, organic fair-trade coffee, and juices. Uses some organic ingredients. Caters for special diets. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Juice bar, Organic
59 William Street South (top floor of Powerscourt Townhouse Centre)
Dublin, Ireland
01-6719669

Open Mon-Sat 10am-6pm, Thur until 8pm.

First Review by Stevie
caperucitaverde
caperucitaverde

Best vegan chocolate cake ever

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2011

I only go there for the vegan chocolate cake (served with a cashew sauce/cream). I have not tried their food, so I can't comment about that. The cake is not consistently good. So it goes from good to "the-best-I-have-ever-had"....it just depends on the day you go and how lucky you are.But is has always been at least "good". It's great to go there in the afternoon (when not a lot of people are there) and just fork your cake slowly and midfully. Love it!

Pros: vegan chocolate cake, atmosphere, staff
IrishVegan
IrishVegan

Best sandwiches

4 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2011

Cafe fresh do amazing reuben sandwiches- vegan. Delicious hot dinners- especially shepherds pie! Very good selection of salads too. Desserts are not to my taste.

organic_lemon
organic_lemon

Talk about fresh!

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2010

I went to cafe fresh for the first time with the VSI and it was pretty good. I had some sort of chickpea curry which was alright, nuttin amazing but i was more impressed with the salads. Its so hard to find tasty veg in ireland and although a little expenisve (but they have VSI and student discounts), it was worth it. filled me up big time! Ill go there again!

Pros: fresh( as the name suggests)
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Certainly worth discovering

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

Located on the third floor of a mall (which, given the exterior, looks more like a manor house than a mall), is this lovely little restaurant.

Like many of the vegetarian options in Dublin (and also those in the same immediate area) it is a cafeteria style restaurant. They prepare a few select meals and specials each day, along with soups, salads and deserts. The portions were quite large as, in my case, with the purchase of a slice of their tomato-and-other-things pie came a choice of two salads.

The staff is very helpful and the 'help yourself' dressings available for the salads opposite the cash register are identified as vegan or not. Water is available, free, by the jug, which I liked a lot - not something you always come across in Europe.

Seating is more than ample so that, even during the lunch rushes, nobody should have a problem finding a seat at any point in time.

The food is quite healthy, as has been mentioned in other reviews. The day I visited there was a raw option specially available which seemed to be a daily feature so raw foodists, know that you are welcome.

As for the food itself, it was good - tasty. Nothing too great, though. The cost was reasonable, by my standards - and those of Dublin, I would maintain.

Cafe Fresh also features a catering service which seemed fantastic. Tons (and I mean tons) of options. Information about this was available in the form of pamphlets at each table.

When I make it back to Dublin, I hope to give Cafe Fresh another try.

Pros: Fresh, healthy options, Pretty big portions, Catering service
Cons: Not not anything too special
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Best place in all of Dublin for healthy eats

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2009

I can see how other reviewers were a little bit confused, but if you just ask the servers, owner and chef are all awesome at pointing out what is vegan. The best part is most of it is prepared without oil and is low fat! We had two or three awesome meals here. The portion sizes are HUGE so I suggest if you are eating with someone who you don't mind sharing with don't get the same stuff and just split it up at the table. I really couldn't decipher the actual pricing methodology there, but the hot parts are supposed to be paired with the cold veggies I believe and I kept getting myself into trouble ordering two hot parts and two cold parts, which was expensive and a ton of food. I suggest again, one person get brown rice and salad and the other get the veggie stew and tomatoes and then split it all up and you get out of their cheaper! At least we did the 3rd time around!

PS, this place is inside a mall on the top floor, if you go up the stairs in the middle you actually walk through another restaurants seating area to get inside.

Pros: no added oil in some dishes, huge portions, great food

Jayjazz
Jayjazz

Healthy

3 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2009

I was a bit confused when I got there the board had so much on it took ages to figure out what was vegan, I went for the miso soup which to be honest wasn't very nice. The salads look good, my boyf (meateater) had lentil soup which again wasn't that tasty. I also had a mixed berry crumble which was really nice. This is a place for healthy eaters raw foods etc, I like veg but I also like a good old veggie shepherds pie or sausage sarnie so maybe a bit too healthy for me. It was expensive but only as most places in Dublin that's city centres for you. Ethics great

Pros: Great ethics, wide vegan choice, cakes
Cons: bit bland
backpasher
backpasher

Hit or miss

3 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2008

Sometimes the food is really good, but other times just average.

The wraps are really good though, as are the cakes.

Petesternz
Petesternz

Pretty average

3 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2008

This place was a reasonable place to get some vegan fare, nothing more. They had a small number of vegan options, and we went for the salads, which were good. The desserts were mostly with dairy, and didn't look that great. The prices, for everything, were exorbitant. Nice location, though.

Pros: OK food, healthy
Cons: not much vegan, prices!!!
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Great food, smallish portions

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2007

Cafe Fresh served great food (and having since been given the cookery book as birthday present I'm pretty impressed with their ethos too). The Cafe itself is a real haven in the shopping centre and my only real gripe is that the prices were fairly high for what felt like pretty small portions. Otherwise a really good place to get a hot and delicious lunch.

Pros: Great food, Plenty of vegan options, Good company ethos
Cons: Small portions, Fairly expensive
innermoonlight
innermoonlight

good place for lunch

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2007

We luckily came across this place for lunch. They had a nice selection of sandwiches to some delicious looking full cooked meals, and friendly service too. Didn't try the desserts but they looked divine. Was a bit pricey for the portion sizes, but normal for Dublin city centre.

Pros: Range of ingredients/style of food, Relaxed atmosphere
Cons: Portion sizes for sandwiches
jacqui
jacqui

Nice place

3 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

Had lunch here - nothing appealed to my mate as it was all very wholefoody (which is nice) but it made difficult for us both to enjoy. I found it pricey, but I think Dublin is an expensive place. The location was nice, there was plenty of room to sit, and I enjoyed the healthy cuisine, but it was nothing special.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Nice location
Cons: Expensive, Limited selection
Stevie
Stevie

Cafe Fresh, Dublin

4 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2006

Mostly vegan all vegetarian restaurant very close toboth Grafton Street and Great George's St in Dublin city centre. Friendly staff, very pleasant atmo. The pumpkin soup was 1st class and the vegan moussaka that they had on today (according to the menu the moussaka isn't always vegan but lucky for me it was today). I also tried the miso soup but much preferred the pumpkin soup. Well worth a visit. I can't decide whether or not to give it 4 or 5 out of 5 (my friend Ciara beside me says 4).

Pros: Bags of vegan choice, tasty food, nice staff and atmo

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Cafe Fresh: