CLOSED: Cafe Eight

Tokyo vegan restaurant cafe. Cafe 8 serves vegan food and desserts. Has an English menu. Note: maybe difficult to find, so ask locals for assistance. Address in Japanese: 東京都目黒区青葉台3-17-7. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering
Aobadai 3-17-7, Meguroku
Tokyo, Japan 153-0042
03-54585262

Open 11:00-22:00 except closed Monday.

First Review by Veganfriend
sarastoked
sarastoked

Great food, not too hard to find

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2010

Unlike other reviewers I had an easy time finding Cafe Eight just by looking at a map. From the Nakamegura stop we walked up Yamata dori until we crossed over the water. Don't turn on that street, but go up one block and take a right. The restaurant is about a block and half away.

Inside the restaurant was dimly lit, but cozy for a rainy night. I opted for the prix fix meal, which included a small sampler of 3 appetizers, a large portion of soup, a weird potato casserole that I found to be inedible, and a really delicious sandwich that came with a side salad. The salad dressing was really delicious. My partner ordered the vegetable curry which was fine, but not remarkable. Came with salad and yummy pickles. Overall the food was tasty and welcomed, but a little expensive. I don't know what was up with that potato casserole though.

They do sell some prepared food items like cookies. I picked up a pack of 3 sakura biscotti and was shocked that they were 700 yen each!

Pros: friendly staff, healthy cuisine
Cons: expensive
Zwhale
Zwhale

Healthy and Delicious

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2009

The food was really good and very healthy. Really fresh ingredients. We spoke no Japanese but could order our food fine. In has a good atmosphere. I had my first vegan cheese cake and it was delicious!
My only complaint was that some of the dishes had run out so the choices was not as large as I would have wished.
To find the place we went along a small river which had cherry blossom trees along it with red laterns hanging from them - which looked really good.

Pros: Great food, Healthy cuisine
Cons: Ran out of food
flamekat
flamekat

Amazing!

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2009

Cafe Eight is not as conveniently located as its sister location, Pure Cafe, but way tastier, and has a bigger menu. It's more of a restaurant than Pure as well. We visited back in April 2008, but can't wait to get back to Tokyo to try it again.

To start, we had deep fried tempeh with avocado that was absolutely fantastic, and my mouth is watering just thinking about it! We shared some roasted veggies and a natto bowl as well. And another starter than I can't remember, but I'm sure it was good. All together with the bottle of organic Greek wine and a beer, it came to 9.000, so definitely the most expensive place we went to in Tokyo, but well worth it. We also had a chocolate tart there that was really nice, and the spicy carrot cake. Chocolate tarts seem to be a standard in Tokyo vegan establishments (we had three during our 4-day trip), but I can't complain.

This is a good place to go on a date or if you're just looking for some awesome vegan food. It was kind of hard to find, but this is one of my top veg restaurants in the world, so keep looking!

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: a bit expensive , hard to find
Precious
Precious

Finally found it!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2008

Took a while since we got off at the Meguro station..OPPS!! Had wondeful veg and bean soup,mixed veg salad,the brown mexician rice with the soy ground beef was the best!!!few glasses of different organic red wines..and a few choices of desert.Muffin,cheese cake and warm apple crumble with vegan cream on top!!!! Im not that into sweets but since Im vegan and miss out at other times I usually try a few!! Yumm!! Open during the lunch break when maybe others in Tokyo take a 2-3 hour break,,usually when i finally find them!!! Sell a bit of soy foods and products there as well.Highly recommend.Im going back this wed for dinner!!!

Pros: Cute place,nice colors, Nice staff, resonable price
Cons: hard to find, not near my place
Baza
Baza

disappointing

2 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

Went there for lunch but got there 3 minutes after the lunch orders finished. Do not rely on the map and don't expect to see a sign until you're 5 metres away.
Staff were not so friendly. Don't think I saw anyone smile there.
The curry was the standard curry you can buy at many vegetarian restaurants - even though I was told it was 'original'.
I had looked forward to visiting this new cafe eight, hopefully a night-time visit will be better.

Pros: nice interior, vegan
Cons: unfriendly, so-so menu during the day, small portions

Guest
Guest

Great Vegan Food

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2007

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Tokyo, vegan/veggie or not, though it's a bit out of the way for most. No matter who I bring here (vegetarian or not... usually the latter), everyone loves every dish. The service can be less than friendly at times, but I find it worth the satisfying dishes. All the desserts are great too!

Pros: great food, non-smoking, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: out of the way, unfriendly at times
Veganfriend
Veganfriend

• non-vegetarian

Hard to find, but great food

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2007

They had the BEST sandwich I'd ever had on top of tons of options an English menu and good service. Don't trust the map on their web site though, this place is hard to find but doable if you ask the locals.

Pros: Good food, good price
Cons: Hard to find, Bad Map

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Cafe Eight: