Cafe Deux Soleils

All vegetarian as of May 2010. Some items contain eggs and/or dairy; limited vegan options. One dessert item, the rice crispy square, may use marshmallows with gelatin. Casual atmosphere. Live music on weekends. Not affiliated with Cafe du Soleil. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Western, Take-out

First Review by philjdomm
kwanza
kwanza

Good value for money, but not vegan-friendly

2 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2012

Cafe deux Soleils is a dark and rustic joint. It is not very vegan friendly, although I did find that my tofu scramble was quite tasty and offered good value for money. I also saw that they had smoothies made using vegan alternatives to milk.

Not a brilliant experience overall, but my food was OK.

Pros: good value for money
Cons: not many vegan options
UnsexyVeganMale
UnsexyVeganMale

ugg, no

2 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2012

a vegan dinner companion got some real cheese in her supposedly vegan salad, gross!
So was that incompetence or carelessness? either way, it sux.
My chili was decent, but unspectacular
I abhor hipsters, especially when their stereotypical apathy affects my vegan food
and its accompanying inattentive customer service
Shoddy vegan selection
My first, and very likely last visit as a vegan.
For vegans, don't bother; vegetarians, ok, I guess.

stawamas
stawamas

Cigarette smoke everywhere

2 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2011

I liked the vegan chili, though the place was cold, service was terribly slow, staff inattentive, unfriendly and apathetic and what should have been an enjoyable meal, was spoiled by all the smokers who stood right outside the front door or by the patio which had open windows, so all the smoke wafted inside the restaurant. This happened to me on three occasions and I definitely won't be going back!

Pros: Tasty chili, Free parking, Good location
Cons: Unfriendly staff, Poor service, Smokers everywhere
NicoleV
NicoleV

Terrible food, bad service

1 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2007

I have eaten at many restaurants in Vancouver and Toronto, and this one was one of the worst I've been to yet. Two friends and I went on an open mic night, and there were only two severs to take orders at the tables, rings in orders, serve the lineups at the counter and look after everything else the cook wasn't doing (when he was actually around). From time to time that staff would disappear somewhere, especially when we were waiting for a forgotten bits of our orders to be brought to our table.

Our food took more than an hour to get to our table, and that was after we were told several of the dishes were were interested in weren't available because they'd run out of the ingredients! When our food did arrive, it was cold, half-cooked, and poorly plated. The "French fries" were partly raw, slimy and tastelss paper-thin strips of potato. The plate of nachos chips we ordered came with a huge pile of chips with only raw bell peppers and onion tossed on them and tiny 1/8 cup containers of salsa and guacamole, which they had the nerve to charge us extra for despite us asking for no cheese on the chips. There were a couple of labeled vegan options on the menu, but the selction is very slim and disappointing.

It was also quite cold in the place and most people were wearing their coats and/or scarves and hats at their tables.

The only positive aspect I can think of about this restaurant is that it is a decent space for small events.

It has been around for a while, and I have heard that the brunch is not too bad. But it's far too expensive for the poor quality of food and service. I would rather go without eating than ever go back to Cafe Deux Soleils.

There is another Cafe De Soleil at 1393 Commercial Drive, and I hear it is a decent vegetarian restaurant (Cafe Deux Soleils serves meat) that I think may be confused with with Cafe Deux Soleils.

Pros: Large space
Cons: Terrible food, Bad service, Too expensive for such poor quality
Aloo
Aloo

Well, I suppose they knew what a vegan was!

3 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2007

After spending some time around Canada, I was relieved to see that I didn't have to explain what a vegan was. Finding a vegan option, well, that was a little bit more difficult! Fancy having vegan burgers, with non-vegan bread! Very disspointing options, salad anyone? I found the service was friendly, the food was good, but I wouldn't recommend it to fellow vegans.

Pros: fresh salad, service
Cons: not many options

philjdomm
philjdomm

breakfast vegan

3 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2007

i think they improved their vegan selection and u r not paying for service so expect it.

Pros: tofu breakfast

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Deux Soleils: