Family friendly restaurant. Music some nights. Price: Inexpensive more-less
English
306 New Cross Rd (New Cross Gate tube)
South East London, England SE145AF
020-83202317

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Jemima
beitme
beitme

nothing special

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2010

The place looked nice; it's your casual laid-back cafe. The food, though on the healthy side, was bland. The price was okay. I'd only go here again if I lacked the means to cook and there were a lack of alternative places to go.

Pros: healthy food
Cons: bland food
Jemima
Jemima

One of a Kind

Posted on 12 / 22 / 2008

The front sitting area has warm red walls and old wooden furniture. It makes you feel you have closed off New Cross Rd and entered another place when you step in. There is a notice board with information on events they are holding such as jam sessions. Passed by one of these in progress and it was off the chain!! with standing up piano playing, dancing with tables and chairs stacked to one side! Go out the back and there is a spacey garden with generously spaced, sturdy, wooden garden tables. Toys are strewn around and there is a sort of children's play area too. Was great sitting out there one sunny Saturday morning, with main road traffic audible close by, but not being able to see it and being away from it in a slice of nature/ garden.
When I went, there were young people, probably from the nearby college and families with young and older children. Also the owner's two young children wandering around.

There is all day breakfast which you can assemble from your own choice as the items are all charged separately. There were also a couple of vaguely North African sounding dishes such as cous cous with tomato based vegetables on the blackboard. Beverages include coffees and teas and juices. Changing cakes and slices.
I had a mushroom and cheese omelette with toast and baked beans. The omelette was pretty much cooked just the right amount. There were tiny pieces of eggshell in it though so every now and then I hit a crunch. There was one homemade juice left when I got there that was mint lemonade which was light and yummy. I had the last glass of it. The brownie I had was actually really cake - it was dry and crumbly. Tasted more chocolaty brownies before too. Coffee was fine for London. Had worse and better.

I was served after a bit of a delay by harried but friendly woman who I advised prices to for what I was having from blackboard behind her. Food was a bit of a wait.

Unbeatable value - great for nearby students. Omelette with toast was well under a fiver, juice about one pound fifty, coffee about two pounds or two fifty.

If you are making a detour to stop by, call beforehsand to ensure they are open. Although they stock "Vegetarian London 2008" guide, their hours vary from the ones listed for the cafe in there at times. I have turned up a couple of times and they have been closed/ open when I expected them to be otherwise. The owner gave me an approximation of opening times when I asked so I guess they open when they feel like it.

Pros: unbeatable breakfast value, respite from New Cross Rd, some food/bev hits the spot
Cons: unpredictable opening hours sometimes , some food/bev hit and miss

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Crema: