CLOSED: Cafe Compassion

Open-air gastro cafe and bar, operating since spring 2011. Chef is trained in raw vegan cuisine and can create raw meals on request. Brunch served Saturday 11.30am-4pm. Safe bicycle parking and will refill your water bottle even if you don't order anything. Has wi-fi. Directions: Coming from the old town via Suthep Road, find your way to Suthep Road on west side (Suan Dok gate), proceed for approx. 800m due west, turn right onto Sirimangkalajarn Road at traffic junction, the landmark for this junction is a granite wall with gold lettering marked "Chiang Mai Neurological Hospital," continue north for 600m, turn right onto Soi 11, proceed to end of soi, and cafe is at the end of the road. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Western, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine
21, Siri Mangkalajarn Soi 11
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Open Tue-Sat 11.30am-8pm, closed Sun-Mon.

• Cash only

First Review by wildlyalive
Georgie Porgie
Georgie Porgie

Good for Thailand

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2012

I'm a bit spoiled on vegetarian restaurants as I used to live in San Francisco, but Cafe Compassion is one of the few veggie places in Thailand that has some decent Western food on the menu which is why -IMO - it is getting so much fame.
Their veggie-bugers are not great, but the best that I have had in SE Asia.

Pros: Good vegetarian food, Good Western food, Good raw food
Cons: Out of the way, A little pricey
PeaceOut
PeaceOut

Needs improvement

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2012

Hard to find and outside the center of town. The portions were small and the prices were high. Lots of dairy. Wouldnt recommend.

Cons: limited menu, small portions
robert ritchie
robert ritchie

great vegan options!

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2011

my wife and i just spent a month in chiang mai and we loved it so much that we ended up eating here every few days. the menu has some great vegan options (the philly steak sandwich was amazing), and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful to accommodate any of your dietary needs. a true gem for the vegan finding themselves in CM. might be a little hard to find if you're not familiar with the area, but well worth seeking out. only complaint was they are closed on Mondays and Sundays has a brunch menu that is more vegetarian/egg heavy instead of the full menu with vegan options.

Pros: great food, vegan options, friendly staff
Cons: slightly pricey

JustinSchneider
JustinSchneider

Wonderful food, place

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful dinner. She ordered the wonderful mackin' meal (mac & cheese); I had the veggie burger. We couldn't help but top it off with the delightful wet chocolate pleasure cake. It was probably the best burger (veggie or not) I've had outside of the United States and by far the best veggie burger I've ever had. I had a few sauces ready to "touch up" the flavors, but after the first bite, I pushed them away. The mac & cheese was always amazing. I barely had a chance to sneak a bite before my wife ate it all. Finally, the cake was perfect. It had a nice buttery flavor surrounded by chocolate sauce. Above all of that, the staff was wonderful, and it is such a beautiful place to go and chill. It's a bit more expensive than some places, but the feshness and superiority of ingredients is well worth it.

Pros: Excellent food, healthy options, good value
Cons: Typical beer selection, Occasional barking dogs next door, too many good options
wynz
wynz

Stands out among the rest

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2011

What a pleasant surprise this place was. Probably the healthiest meal I've eaten in a restaurant, but shockingly tasty at the same time. One of those rare places that could even satisfy hardcore carnivores.

Pros: healthy food, quiet atmosphere, friendly owners
Cons: i don't live next door
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Great find in Chiang Mai

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2011

It's not generally our style to eat Western food whilst in Asia but Cafe Compassion sounded interesting and after a month in Thailand we were after a bit of a break from the usual tom yums, so we landed here one night.

And what a lovely find! The vibe is really chic and chilled at the same time. The location is a bit out of the way so probably need a taxi to get there, but this also means it feels a bit secluded and special. The people who run it (they are not Thai - British, judging by the accent) are really nice and accommodating too. Great for a chat and very knowledgable about food and health, which is obvious from the food.

In addition to a vege burger we ended up trying a raw pad thai from the specials menu and wow, it was great! Best raw pad thai we've tried to date.

Vegans should be a bit careful, they do use some butter and milk etc. Certainly worth checking out though. Wish we had time to go back again - next time for sure.

Pros: chic vibe, friendly service, great food
Cons: a bit out of the way, menu's not huge
wildlyalive
wildlyalive

A Perfect Place for the Makings of a Happy Belly

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

I just recently went to Cafe Compassion for a friends B-day party and was highly impressed by the delicious food, quenching Tamarind soda elixir ( virgin )and the most divine choco brownie that I have bitten into... the atmosphere is sleek and inviting with an alfresco dining - go and try it out yourself and indulge in the goodness!!! YummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmErrrrrrrrrrrs!!!

Pros: great food selection, reasonable prices, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Cafe Compassion: