Raw food that's organic, vegan, wheat-free, and dairy-free. Has share plate options. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Relocated from 260 West Esplanade 120 in early-2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, All Raw, Canadian, American, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Chipkale
vegan frog
vegan frog

Wonderful flavours

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

We went to Cafe by Tao today for the first time. It is on the other side of the bridge, so not very convenient, but now I know how good it is, we will make the trip again!
Wonderful and friendly service, Tao has a menu board and also a separate menu with photos. Perfect.
We had the soup of the say, which was cream of mushroom - it was out of this world. Very creamy with pieces of mushrooms mixed in. This was cooked though.
Then we had a slice of raw pizza and a portion of raw lasagna and for dessert a trio of crepes.
The lasagna were very fresh and flavourful, and the pizza very tasty but the most amazing part of the meal was the dessert.
The crepes were filled with marinated apples, dry fruit and nuts and had the most amazing coconut/maple cream on top.
They also sell homemade raw supplies so I could not help myself and stocked up on chickpea miso, coconut and maple sauce.
I highly recommend this place if you are in North Vancouver and like raw food.
PS: While they don't cook with honey, they do sell some raw honey and offer it as a sweetener for coffee/tea. They also sell bee pollen but again, do not use it in the food. The food is strict vegan, the shop is not.

Pros: Fresh and organic raw food, Free parking nearby, Friendly service
SimoneDeBoudoir
SimoneDeBoudoir

Just Wonderful

4 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2013

This place is a gem. Everything there is good, but I suggest trying the raw pizza, the lasagna, the crackers with dill nut cheese, and a couple of slices of their homemade cake (I like lucuma and mesquite the best so far!). Oh, and the kale chips are not to be missed. My non-vegan friends all love this place and it's at the top of their lists of Vancouver restaurants. The owner is fabulous, so sweet and just full of joy. You can also buy a lot of foods to go, such as the vegan burgers, the dill nut cheese, the kale chips, marinated mushrooms, and many dehydrated fruits (for much less than grocery store costs. The only complaint I have is that sometimes the meditative music is just too much, one long chime after another until you're too zoned out to talk to anyone. The days they play this I usually take my order to go and skedaddle. Also some of the other staff is a little reserved.

Pros: Fabulous and healthy mains, Fabulous and healthy desserts, Great foods to purchase and take home
Cons: Weird, disorienting music at times, Some staff could be friendlier
subarcticdude
subarcticdude

Great Raw Food Restaurant in North Vancouver

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2013

Two of us Turista Foodies - one Gluten-challenged, the other Vegan - tried this delightful restaurant after discovering it on the HappyCow website. The menu was most interesting, and the friendly helpful staff were quick to respond to questions that came to mind. We selected soups - one cold and other warm - followed by Rawkin Pizza, and Lasagna for Entrees, and a side of Kale Chips. Sweets were Lacuma and Double Chocolate cakes. Everything was perfect. Also had an opportunity to chat with Agat the owner/chef "en francais !" We'll be back when next in the city. Highly recommended.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
Cons: rainy day outside
Chipkale
Chipkale

• herbivore

Go to Lonsdale Quay

5 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2012

A short ferry ride across Vancouver harbor then walk through waterfront park. Super friendly, relaxed atmosphere, totally vegan, fresh and delicious. Think Gorilla on the North shore. Nothing is too much trouble, just ask. And they have a very cool website.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 26, 2012

Pros: Like home away from home, Super friendly service, Sympathetic to animals

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe by Tao: