Cafe Botanika

One of few vegetarian restaurants in St. Petersburg. Menu is in Russian and English. Tabouleh, hummus with red pepper, arugala salad with balsalmic dressing, tomato soup, and more. Has wi-fi and a children's play area. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Middle Eastern, International, Western, Beer

First Review by Sapphire
emahelena
emahelena

beautiful botanika

5 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

Botanika is one of the older vegetarian cafes in the city and it's an old favourite of mine. In the winter you pull back heavy velvet curtains and enter a cosy yet light space, round tables, delicate plants painted on the walls. The selection of teas is extensive and they are all quite remarkable. Glass teapots are balanced over candles keeping your tea warm. A huge menu of vegetarian and vegan dishes of various cuisines gives you so much to choose from! The food is DELicious, the curries, the carrot patties, the raw cheesecake!
The staff are young and lovely. There is a charming play area for kids.
In the summer they open up the terrace and you can sit in the sunshine admiring the church opposite. Botanika is located in a lovely area near the Fontanka river.
I love sitting here for hours on end with friends or even on my own.

Pros: excellent food, great atmosphere, no smoking
Cons: mostly vegetarian rather than vegan
stasleontyev
stasleontyev

Good atmosphere and very good food

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2013

The place is situated not far from Summer Garden in a nice area. Relaxing interior, good music and friendly staff. Food taste great, but the portions became a bit smaller, than a year or two ago. Not cheap, but fair money for the place. Brilliant kid's zone. Call for booking a table.

Pros: Well decorated interior, Friendly stuff, Good food
Cons: Once we had wi-fi problems here
a112
a112

• raw

small, crowded, expensive

4 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

Too expensive for medium size dishes. It was over crowded at the time of my visit. But this place is popular between saint-petersburgians

proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

...

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

i went to cafe botanika with a friend, and we both enjoyed our meals & dessert. it's simple food, but done well. plus, the staff was friendly and helpful.

Pros: food, staff, portions
Cons: price, needs more vegan choices
Huber
Huber

A real find in St. Petersburg.

4 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2012

On a recent trip to St. Petersburg my friend and I were fortunate to find Botanika. It is conveniently located, not very expensive with a lovely atmosphere. It even has a play area for young children. I travel with a non-vegetarian who was equally happy with the cafe.

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, kid's play room

ecotraveller
ecotraveller

Super food, great service, relaxed atmosphere

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2012

This is a fantastic little place about 5 mins from the Summer Gardens. Wide choice of food, great quality when it came, healthy portion size and very tasty. Would highly recommend this to vegetarian/ vegans struggling with the general lack of fruit and veg in northern europe. Service was very good.

Pros: healthy global cuisine, nice atmosphere, good service
Marike
Marike

Good food!

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

I was here last summer. I have been to this restaurant 3 times, as I really thought it the best place in St. Petersburg for a vegetarian meal. The staff are very helpful and friendly and speak English. The food is good. Simple and tasty, and there's plenty of choice.

Mafalda
Mafalda

Very good

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2011

The place is very pleasant, the cuisine is simple but carefully. they have an english menu. Not so cheap...

ericgoldman
ericgoldman

Excellent Choice for Vegetarians

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2011

One of the few bona fide vegetarian restaurants in the St Petersburg metro area, and easily the best meal of my visit. I had 4 small blini with honey (delicious), a bowl of borscht, and a soy wrap sandwich. Cost for the three dishes was 660 rubles (about $24)--not cheap, but it kept me full for the day. The interior decoration was hip and modern, and there was a separate two-level play area for kids. This place could relocate to California and compete there successfully.

Jonathan Ahlbring
Jonathan Ahlbring

Splendid

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

Just had a wonderful dinner there. Well worth the walk up from N.Prospect. Even my father who is otherwise a meat-eater found it very good.

hexanne
hexanne

A Jewel in this Crown City

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

While working aboard a cruise ship we stopped overnight in St. Petersburg for 8 nights, not consecutive. Each time we ported I beelined for this restaurant. My first time there a private wedding was taking place and the attendants were dancing and singing Krishna's praises. They invited us in to join and sing. Lovely tattoed Russian Hindus? sang and chanted together while we watched and then ate cake. We were delighted! Each visit was charming and brought more delights to our palates. Wonderful environment, delicious food and friendly staff (no English) made this a treasure on our Baltic itinerary. As a vegetarian with dairy and wheat allergies, they were able to deliver substantial and inviting food options. A MUST for St. Petersburg Vegan visitors.

Pros: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Raw
Merciless666
Merciless666

lovely refuge for cold days in April...

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

it's pretty hard to find decent vegetarian food in St. Peterburg. Though many restaurants have veggie options for cheaper prices this restaurant was our favorite. Lovely made dishes with lot's of regional food, nice teas and a friendly alternative atmosphere. The portions could be way bigger for their value on the other hand. Your best choice, if visiting SPB.

Pros: cosy, friendly stuff, central
Cons: no cheap, 2 small portions, no much alternatives
wildfang
wildfang

Tasty food and friendly people : )

5 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2010

I really enjoyed the food at Cafe Botanika. Everything was fresh and tasty and I had a big choice of vegan dishes. I ordered Borshch and a falafel wrap with mint sauce and had tea - everything was cozy and nice. Only the prices were a bit high I found (paid around 18€ for everything), but that's just St. Petersburg I guess. Would definitely go there again.

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: not inexpensive
luvs2travel
luvs2travel

LOVE THIS PLACE!!

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2009

This has to be one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants anywhere. We enjoyed it so much that we ate there for lunch three times. I loved the Bohemian ambience of the place with olive green velvet sofas instead of chairs and reggae or New Age music playing in the background. Cafe Botanika has an English menu with vegan options clearly marked. Their offerings are international (e.g., Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, etc.). They have a wonderful selection of juices, too.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value
Cons: can be hard to find
curly
curly

A real find in a city without many vegan options

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2008

A lovely little restaurant, nice food with a fair selection of vegan dishes (and many things that can be made vegan on request), good wine list and decent beer. Nice atmosphere and friendly staff. Definitely worth a visit.

Sapphire
Sapphire

Excellent Restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2008

This restaurant was so good we went back again. It had a nice atmosphere and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

There was a really good choice of food from different countries including local Russian cuisine. There are menus written in English and they list the ingredients which is useful in case of allergies. The prices were reasonable. We had a 2 course meal and a very large beer for under £20 for 2 of us.

The restaurant is about 15-20 minute walk from the main street Nevsky Prospekt but well worth making the effort.

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Botanika: