Serves meat, veg options available. Offers an extensive vegetarian menu that includes appetizers, tofu, soy meat, freshly baked breads, salads, fresh juices, vegan desserts, and beer. Brunch on Sunday. Serves also fish and poultry, no red meat. Has wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Puerto Rican, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
407 San Francisco Street, Old San Juan (Plaza Colón)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
787-722-5205

Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm

First Review by VeganPike
veganscorpio
veganscorpio

Wonderful!

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

We ate here three times during our stay in Puerto Rico. The coconut-tomato tofu was delicious as was the Mofongo. Also had the vegan breakfast and the vegan French Toast. Superb! First night I had the vinaigrette tofu sandwich. Also good, but nothing compared to breakfast and the coconut-tomato tofu dish.
Everyone was well versed in the vegan options and if they didn't know they asked the chef.
Last night eating here we wanted the vegan carrot cake to celebrate our anniversary. They were out; however, the chef was kind enough to make a special vegan crepe with fruit, dark chocolate and delicious coconut whipped cream.
Highly recommend! Great location too and about the only restaurant in Old San Juan that's open late and consistently throughout the week and weekend!

Pros: Vegan Options, Knowledgeable Staff, Food! Taste & presentation were superb!
Cons: Can be slow if busy.
toscafr
toscafr

A Must Destination in Puerto Rico

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2014

As an extremely selective customer I am not easy to wow however, Cafe Berlin did.
Excellent service, exceptional food, in an old spainsh world town. it is hard to beat.
From plate presentation to taste the food was wonderful. Well worth the time searching for a parking spot.
Go and experince for yourself the fusion of tasty Puerto Rican spices with healthy entrees'.

Pros: Food, Service, Ambience
Cons: Parking
slithers
slithers

Few, but Tasty

4 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2013

There are a decent number of dishes (at least 6 entrees) in the Vegetarian section of the menu, but some elements may be non-vegan - you'll have to ask. Fortunately, my waiters on both visits were fluent in English and understood "vegan" so was able to identify these for me.

I enjoyed their dinner and lunch (once each) - would've eaten there more, but was staying out on a resort near Luquillo, a bit far from Old San Juan.

If you want to try vegan versions of traditional Puerto Rican foods (e.g., mofongo), this is the place for you. I had a Veggie Guava loaf and one of the tofu dishes (I forget which), which were both tasty, along with at least one substitute for non-vegan side. The atmosphere is nice, kinda artsy & relaxed, and it's near the center of town, including a square that features frequent performances.

FYI, if you're vegan and you want to eat out (especially if your Spanish is bad), this is a great option to have, as the island is not very vegan-friendly.

Note: this is from my visit in September, 2013 (getting to this review late).

Pros: atmosphere, nice, vegan-knowledgeable staff, tasty, traditional dishes
Cons: parking is tough (Old San Juan)

jdestefanis
jdestefanis

Great brunch

4 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2013

The food there was great. We went 2 or 3 times in the couple days we were touring San Juan. Highly recommended.

TraciC
TraciC

Vegetarians like tofu, right?

3 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

The veg section of the menu is mostly marinated tofu dishes. The one we got had uninspiring slices of soft tofu in a VERY good sauce. (I prefer tofu with more texture.) The bean & rice side was nicely seasoned - I could have eaten a whole bowl of that!

We also got a wrap which was full of subtle flavors, none of which I could taste after the first bite, which included a large piece of very strong raw red onion. :(

We got a piece of vegan banana cake, too. It's not a sweet cake with icing; it's more of a moist spice cake. It was a fairly small piece, but reasonable pricing given what I've spent on other vegan treats, and better tasting than many.

Maybe it's not a go-out-of-your-way destination restaurant for vegans, but it is a good place to eat when you're in Old San Juan.

Pros: Convenient tourist location, Good flavors
kmilitello
kmilitello

AMAZING food

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2013

Cafe Berlin was an amazing find in Old San Juan, especially for veg eaters. It's at a beautiful location, and we sat outside and ate several meals there. They have many vegetarian food options, and many vegan options on the menu. They even offered to veganize their "mofongo" (make it without butter and no animal products). Food items included several tofu dishes, grilled veggie options, marinated portobello mushrooms, amazing stuffed vegetarian wonton appetizer, vegetarian loaf entrée made of lentils and brown rice that's served with fresh sautéed veggies, etc.. It was wonderful to find a restaurant that combined traditional puertorican cuisine with vegan friendly options. They also offered a vegan dessert. They do not serve red meat, but they do serve chicken and seafood. The non-vegans with us thoroughly enjoyed their meals there too. Loved. Loved. Loved Cafe Berlin.
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 25, 2013

Pros: Nice outdoor seating, Vegan dessert option, Large vegetarian menu
Cons: Pricey, Closed mondays
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Old Town location

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2012

Cafe Berlin is conveniently located in Old Town close to the cruise port. We were on the Holistic Holiday at Sea cruise and while visiting the forts, it was easy to pop over for lunch. It was really busy, so we had to wait awhile for a table, but it was worth it. The menu has a separate vegetarian section and the waiter was very knowledgeable about what was vegan. Their homemade bread is not vegan (due to eggs), so we didn't order any sandwiches, but nearly all of the entrees were vegan (or could be made vegan). We got the coconut tomato tofu which had a great flavor and the soy steak Argentino where we swapped out the mashed potatoes (not vegan) for the plantains based on the server's recommendation. He was right...very tasty. We wanted to get the vegan carrot cake as well, but they were already sold out (likely due to others on the holistic cruise eating there as well). Overall, the place is very nice with an outdoor patio and friendly staff.

Pros: separate veggie section, knowledgeable staff, convenient location
Cons: not vegan, wait for tables
dr
dr

Can't wait to go back.

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2012

We went there a few years ago. We still rave about it. Although we live 3,000 miles away. Cafe Berlin just might be worth the trip back.

aleal
aleal

Vegetarian Menu, good location

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2012

This restaurant is located in Old San Juan, on the edge of Cristobal Square. They have quite a few vegetarian/vegan soy and tofu options, including an Argentinian Soy steak.
The service is great and they also have a great selection of drinks.

Pros: lots of veg options, location, service
Cons: price
Islandgirl
Islandgirl

great veg friendly place in Old San Juan

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2011

This was our go to place while visiting Old San Juan. There are great choices for vegetarian food. The service was excellent, the location perfect, and the vegetarian food choices were numerous. I was also impressed with their dessert menu!

Pros: choices, flavorful, location
nathan_h
nathan_h

great choice for veggie takes on carribean dishes

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

There is a lot of non Veggie stuff on the menu, but there are also a good selection of veggie items -- done up in the classic local styles. An excellent choice.

Pros: great taste, many veg options, veg versions of local classics
Cons: also serves non veg food
bhenrich
bhenrich

Great location- good food

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2010

Cafe Berlin could not be in a better location. Right next to a busy park in Old San Juan and the people watching is terrific. Indoor and patio seating and a full bar inside. They are not strictly vegetarian but do have a full section in the menu for vegetarians and it has a great variety of Puerto Rican inspired dishes and the usual comfort foods. Almost all the vegetarian items are vegan or can be slightly modified to be vegan. The dessert menu is not very vegan friendly- offering only Carrot Cake. The staff was very friendly and informative.

As I often do, I asked the waiter what the best vegetarian dinner was. He recommended the meatloaf so I tried it. It was a little too realistic for my tastes- it looked and tasted exactly like real meatloaf but upon close inspection you could tell it wasn't. It was covered with a great mango sauce and lots of sauteed vegetables and came with mashed potatoes. I did enjoy the food but would elect something less meat-like next time, and I will most certainly be returning to Cafe Berlin- it is the only vegetarian food in Old San Juan.

Prices are high, but all food in Puerto Rico is very expensive because they import almost everything except plantains.

Pros: Excellent location in Old San Juan, Freindly staff
Cons: They serve meat
MikeyMike
MikeyMike

Loved it

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2010

I went with a meat eater and we both loved this place. It is the Square at Old San Juan and it's beautifully situated. The veggie menu is limited, but it is the most extensive in all of Old San Juan (and most of Puerto Rico I think). The staff was knwledgeable and very helpful with menu selections. It's a bit pricey, but everything is in Old San Juan (tourist spot). I highly recommend this place.

Pros: Great food., Outdoor seating, Staff
Cons: none
tsap
tsap

just okay

3 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2009

The vegetarian choices are limited primarily to tofu based dishes. Unfortunately there are not a great deal of options in the area. A bit pricey for what you get but that is generally true for the area. Service was good - not very busy when we were in.

melimarz
melimarz

Awesome fod & ambience

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2009

This restaurant/internet cafe is beautiful and laid back. The food was great and not too pricey at all. I got the philly "steak" sandwich. They were really friendly, too.

Pros: beautiful place, great food, friendly ambience
lifefan
lifefan

Just wonderful!!!

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2009

Well, I'm back from Puerto Rico again! this Island amaized me every time I go, people there are so nice and warm that you never want to leave. As plan I returned to Cafe Berlin because as always is been my favorite place in old san juan. For my surprise I found a new dish on the menu, a veggie "parilla" (that means grill vegetables) this comes with tofu sticks in some delicious sauce, hmmm... also I always order the strawberry banana "steak" and the carrot-green apple fresh squeeze juice.
I highly recommend to sit back in the terrace and enjoy the view of the plaza with a glass of wine.

PS. Always good.

Pros: excellent food, excellent service, beautiful place
lunabeamsc
lunabeamsc

Best Veg Food in San Juan

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2008

We just had lunch at Cafe Berlin, it is without a doubt the best vegetarian food I've ever had in Puerto Rico. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was uniquely Puerto Rician. Try the mofungo (amazing) and the tofu criolla (tofu in a creole sauce with yuca, peppers and onions). We ordered the monfungo (side dish), rice (side dish) and Tofu criolla for two people to share and it was around 22 dollars (11 each) Not bad for an amazing meal! Enjoy!

Pros: Amazing Puerto Rican FoodFood, Friendly Staff, Modern Cafe Appearance
Cons: A little pricey (but amazing view)
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Awesome vegan friendly place in Old San Juan

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2008

The bread isn't vegan so skip the lunch menu down to the huge selection of Tofu Entrees. Get the second one down. It comes with awesome Yuca and a delicious marinara sauce. The Plantain appetizer is veg, too! A must. They have soy ice cream as well. You won't be disappointed while in Old San Juan! Go for dinner if you're staying in the area.

Pros: vegan friendly
Cons: bread isn't vegan
VeganPike
VeganPike

Great Drinks, Okay Food In Old San Juan

3 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2007

If you need someplace to eat in Old San Juan, you pretty much have 3 choices: Cafe Berlin, the Rasta place about a block away down Calle San Francisco, or make it yourself. Cafe Berlin is a nice little place with a sorta fancy-ish, touristy atmosphere. I wound up there 3 times, and the service varied from very sweet but slow to maddeningly idiotic (we had to explain FIVE times how to make a latte, even though it's on their menu). The food is alright, but a bit pricey. A friend and I shared the Philly Steak Sandwich, which is made from extremely salty, marinated tofu, a salad that I wouldn't recommend to anybody, some amarillos (fried sweet plantains) that were delicious, and a fabulous, to-die-for cocktail called the Mangito, because it's sort of like a mojito but with fresh mango in it- soooo delicious! Though at $6 plus tax and tip, it certainly isn't cheap. Anyway, the sandwich comes with tortilla chips, which I found annoying, but other than that it's not a bad choice if you're totally hungry and need some protein. Other than that I didn't try any of the fake meat dishes, and if you're into having an all-veggie sandwich w/ no meat substitute, you can get one for under $6 which isn't bad for here. Overall, not spectacular but beggars can't be choosers in veggie-hatin' San Juan.

Pros: Nice Atmosphere, AMAZING DRINKS!!!, Nice location
Cons: Overpriced, Mediocre food, Wildly fluctuating service

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Berlin: