Serves meat, veg options available. A charming, comfortable walk-up cafe in the city center with a rooftop deck. Maybe 100% veg or at least very vegetarian friendly. Offers crepes and lasagna on the menu, as well as cakes and cookies. Cafe drinks including coffee, tea, beer & wine. Has a vegan carrot cake for around 700 kr and chamomile soy latte. The owner seems to be a transplant from New York City who uses his own recipes for everything made there, including New York Cheesecake & chocolate cake (with dairy and egg). Has wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
Skolavoroustigur 22a, City Centre
Reykjavik, Iceland
+354-5522278

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Sarah P
HarrisonEdwards
HarrisonEdwards

Beautiful little place.

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2014

Very Vegan friendly, nice staff, quick service and quite reasonably priced compared to the rest of Retkjavik! Recommended :)

eravencroft
eravencroft

Open Sunday morning...

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2014

Not exactly bursting with vegan options, but on a slightly rainy, chilly Sunday morning, when the rest of Reykjavik is asleep, this place was perfect. The carrot cake is delicious, as everyone says, but maybe a bit much on the icing for breakfast. The apple crisp my wife ordered was a better choice. The barista in training made us an excellent couple of soy lattes, and I hope the owner keeps her on board! Also, the atmosphere of this place is great. The walls are covered with over the top kitsch (cuckoo clocks and stuffed toy animal deer heads) and the Star Wars themed bathroom is absolutely ridiculous.

Pros: open Sunday morning, Star Wars bathroom, Damn good coffee
Cons: not many vegan options
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

All about that cake...

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2014

As other have mentioned- if you're vegan, this place is ALL about that cake. DAMN, it is good. You pay for it thought- I think a slice cost me about £6, which is damned expensive...but I was happy to do it once as we had a week in the country!

This place is cozy, I also found out after that there is an upstairs too. They have veggie lasagne and vegan chilli- they also had two soups on the go- one of which they said was vegan as it was tomato base. The chilli is a big portion (we shared it, i'm not a big chilli fan) it could have done with a few more chips to eat it with.

Downside- we went around 3pm, it was fairly busy but none moreso than anywhere else in town. We waited about 20minutes just to get our coffees the first time we visited (with no apology for delay)....
Few days later we returned to try again for the chilli..this itself came quick, but I ordered carrot cake and this took also 20 minutes to arrive!? They forgot my order....again, no apology.

If we visit again I will go back to have the cake but don't go if you are in a rush!

Pros: CAKE
Cons: waiting ages

jjkingan
jjkingan

Cosy, funky atmosphere and nice vegan offerings

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2013

I've been here a few times and had the vegan chili (good and very filling) and the vegan carrot cake and soy cappuccino. Everything is excellent. Interesting place, cozy atmosphere to sit for a while on the sofas with friends. Kind of a hostel atmosphere.

Pros: vegan carrot cake, vegan chili, soy cappuccino and other coffee drinks
Kmie
Kmie

Amazing vegan carrot cake!

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

Everything is in the title but there's more with excellent soy hot chovolate, vegan Chili and delicious vegetarian lasagna!

Highly recommanded!!

Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Great coffee and cake, free wifi

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

The inside has some interesting decor, but it's cozy and friendly. The owner is fun and is American so speaks English fluently. The only vegan item on the menu that I could see was the carrot cake but it was delicious so I didn't mind. The coffee was great and I loved their cappuccino. Plus they have free wifi! It's a nice place to hang around.

Pros: Vegan carrot cake, Good coffee, Nice place to hang out
Cons: No vegan meals
Sandora
Sandora

Like a living room

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2013

The place feels very welcoming! It looks like a cozy living room (so exactly what I'm looking for in a coffee house ;-) ). Staff are friendly.

I was there a lot in 2010. Then came back 2012. They usually offer the carrot cake, which is the only vegan food most of the time. But it is one of the BEST cakes I've eaten!!

Pros: furnishing, atmosfear
harry the taoist
harry the taoist

Nice environment, mediocre food

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

The staff was friendly and very "vegan" friendly, although the carrot cake (mentioned above) was the only vegan item. It was ok. The vegetable lasagna was microwaved and had a chunk of ice in the middle. Go for the deck and the nice staff, not the food.

Pros: Deck, Staff
Cons: Mediocre food
ChickpeaDee
ChickpeaDee

Nice Cafe

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2012

This is a tiny cafe that is really cozy. I visited Cafe Babalu in March 2012. They had soy milk for lates and vegan muffins. Really nice staff and interesting decor.

Pros: vegan muffins, decor, location
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

carrot cake it is!

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2011

Super friendly coffee shop up a flight of stairs off the main shopping street on the way to the cathedral. It is famous for its TOWERING slice of carrot cake, which can easily feed six people. They also have soy milk for coffee, tea, hot chocolate treats. Don't miss their outside seating if weather permits. There are a few rooms for seating.

Pros: carrot cake, soy milk hot coco
Cons: lack of more vegan food
Fanny
Fanny

Feels like home

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2011

It almost feels like walking in to someone's home when you set foot in this place. It has two rooms for guests insides, that will remind you of someone's living room, sofas, bookshelves, boardgames, pictures on the walls and assorted decorations. There's also a roof top terrace for warmer days, with a great view over one of Reykjavíks most crowded streets. They have a quite big assortment of hot and cold drinks, all of which you can get with soy milk instead of cow milk. On their standard menu is also a vegan carrot cake, from which you'll get a huge slice. It's not anything special, but it's totally OK. Sometimes they also have other baked goods that are vegan.

Pros: the atmosphere, vegan friendly, free wi-fi
Cons: a little bit to expensive
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

nice little cafe

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

came here twice while in reykjavik. first time got a coffee to go cause roof top was to crowded. second time i had the hot chocolate which was good. i was the only one and sat on the rooftop which was lovely.

Sarah P
Sarah P

get the vegan carrot cake!

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2010

This cafe was recommended for their vegan carrot cake- a worker at a veg restaurant in town recommended that I go here for dessert for what they called "the best vegan cake in town"- they were right! I don't think anything else on the food menu was vegan, but soymilk was available for drinks, and the owner and staff were very vegan-knowledgeable. After explaining that i wanted a hot drink without caffeine, the owner whipped up a "camosoy latte"- with chamomile tea.

The cafe was so comfortable, with homey but cool atmosphere- people were hanging out in couples eating, in groups talking, and individually reading or on the computer. The outside deck was full of diners each time I went there, regardless of the hour.

The cake was, as described, the best vegan cake in town. It was a huge slice, and very delicious! It was 700 kr, which is not inexpensive, but worth the price for the treat if you can afford it. I wish I was aware of this place earlier in my trip, as I would have hung out here whenever I had time to read, write, or eat dessert.

Pros: amazing atmosphere, friendly, funny staff, excellent vegan dessert
Cons: somewhat pricey cake

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Babalu: