Vegetarian cafe turned vegan in late-2014. The lunch menu consists of 3 set meals only. Emphasis is slow food using local produce. Offer bagels with herb marinated tofu cheese. Relaxed atmosphere that's quiet for the noisy Shinsaibashi area. In Shinsaibashi area on a side street off of the main drag. Directions from Apple store and Nike on Midosuji Ave, turn to "Europe St." Walk you'll see the signboard in front of big gorilla signboard of the pet shop. Confirmed open Mar 2015. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Japanese, Beer/Wine
1 Chome-6-12 Shinsaibashisuji
Osaka, Japan 542-0085
06-62120066

Mon 12:00pm-10:30pm, Wed-Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm

First Review by kat.ross
Tiggy
Tiggy

Very nice place to relax over lunch...

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2015

The cafe is a lovely space above the bustle of Europe Street. There was jazz music playing when we came in and there was a relaxed atmosphere and pace. We ordered from the lunch set menu: potato and creamed corn quiche and creamy mushroom risotto for me; and onion and beet salad and hummus bagel for my companion. We ended up sharing anyway. The entrees were OK but nothing exciting. The risotto was creamy, almost buttery in texture and taste and had a subtle rather than intense flavour. The hummus had a home-made quality, with a bit of texture rather than being totally smooth, which I liked. The bagel itself was delicious and fresh (baked in-house), so we took a couple home. We ordered soy lattes for after (mine hot, my companion's iced) and also decided to share dessert. The vegan cheesecake was delicious and the green tea muffin was nice too. This place is so nice we returned later for cold drinks and I'll come back next time I'm in Osaka.

Pros: Nice relaxed space above the busy street, Fresh bagels
Gally
Gally

Stereotypically Bad, Expensive Vegan Fare

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2015

I was excited about trying this place last fall, but it's basically a caricature of everything people dislike and criticise about vegan food. It's pretentious, obscure, very overpriced, and mysteriously devoid of any and all flavour.

The starter salads were quite alright, but the bitter melon curry I had practically gave me nightmares.

I sat there, concentrating, trying to discern any kind of perhaps sophisticatedly subtle taste that the thin, watery, oily, offensively sparse portion of "curry" sauce might have, but alas, there was none.
It seemed as though they overcooked tiny pieces of the goya (there were no other veggies or anything) in too much oil, then remembered that it was supposed to be curry and therefore have some kind of spice or seasoning, and threw in some cardamom pods at the last minute.

I left hungry, dejected, and questioning a number of recent life decisions that led to my having had to sit through that meal.

Pros: The coffee
Cons: The food
CharlotteDrene
CharlotteDrene

Hummus!

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2015

Finally some hummus in japan!
I ate two bagels and a quiche from this place. Hot damn, they were good.
Cute wee place.

emma_13
emma_13

Lovely Vegan Oasis

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2015

This is a great spot in Shinsaibashi to retreat for a hand prepared vegan meal. Dinner sets are 2000 yen for a starter (I love the salad, which comes with a complimentary side of home made veggie bread), main (usually curry, risotto or bagel meal), and a drink. Dessert is extra money, the chocolate cake is amazing. Sometimes they do not have all items, such as curry or chocolate cake. The couple who own the restaurant are friendly and calm. Usually it is quiet with one or two other tables occupied- so, relaxing but not lonely. Definitely recommend.
Only bad remark would be that I found the chocolate muffin (purchased to take home) was a bit dry and disappointing.

Pros: Vegan!, Nice atmosphere, Flavourful and fresh
Cons: Sometimes run out of menu items, Muffins aren't great, Opposite from depressing pet shop
corrinalyon
corrinalyon

atl

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2015

Delicious delicious delicious!!!!
Super friendly and helpful staff
Thanks ATL!

Pros: super close to shinsaibashi, great fresh food, excellent coffee
Worrybeads
Worrybeads

oishi desune

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2015

On the 2nd floor, great food, English menu, but closes at 18h on Saturday. Hope to visit again

necius
necius

Great little vegan cafe in Shinsaibashi

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2015

Spending a day in Osaka, my girlfriend and I decided to check this place out. It was really well located, just off the main drag of Shinsaibashi. The atmosphere was pretty cool, very modern and clean, though not a lot of seating, so it might be difficult to get fed here on a busy day.

We both had the three course lunch set, which was very reasonably priced. I had a soup, a bagel with hummus (I was craving hummus after living in Japan without hummus for a year) and a chocolate muffin for desert. All three courses were delicious and had a great depth of flavour. My girlfriend had a couscous salad, a risotto, and a chocolate cake. The risotto was disappointing, but the salad and the chocolate cake were delicious (the best vegan dessert she's ever had, she says). I also had a soy latte, not because I'm a big coffee drinker, but just because I could. It was great to my definitely-not-a-coffee-connoisseur taste-buds.

The meal was great value for money and, apart from a slightly disappointing risotto, the food was all excellent. I would definitely eat here again, and encourage others to do so also.

Pros: Great location, Good value for money, Great desserts
HappyOtter
HappyOtter

amazing chocolate cake

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2015

The food is pretty good, but the dessert is incredible :) nice little place.

beckettthedog
beckettthedog

Great Vegan Meals

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2015

I've been to Cafe Alt a couple of times, and the experience has always been positive.
Generous portions of delicious vegan dishes, served and prepared by beautiful, friendly people. Nice setting, near Hommachi Station. The menu is available in English and changes daily.

Pros: food, service, location
naob
naob

Food made with love & care

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2014

Lovely food. l tried set menu & vegan soy cheese cake (was fantastic!) l'll be back again for sure, thank you!

Gilles et Sylvie
Gilles et Sylvie

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2014

First of all the restaurant is totally Vegan now . We went with a non Vegan japanese friend and a vegan italian cook the evening September 2nd . It was absolutely fantastic and will love it . The owners , a young couple, are very friendly , the quiche was delicious as everything else . We recommend strongly this restaurant.

Pros: excellent food, good value, very friendly staff
Swish
Swish

Friendly place, perhaps a bit expensive

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

Nice place for a vegan lunch. We took a chance, since we were close, even though some earlier reviewers mentioned that you had to have a reservation and that this cafe was not for families with kids. However, the staff was very friendly (especially to our daughter), and no reservation was required. Only con was that it was a bit expensive, but only in comparison to other vegan restaurants in the city (and this is one is much closer to the central shopping district, so we were not surprised).

Pros: Friendly
Cons: A bit expensive
zebsu
zebsu

Absolutely delicious vegan food, friendly service!

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2014

I went here last night for the first time, and for 2,000 yen, had an absolutely delicious dinner, which consisted of a vegan quiche with Japanese pickles, a savory quinoa/pumpkin/potato pastry, a delicious plate of edamame/soy bean curry, and organic coffee/tea at the end of the meal.

Totally satisfying, and I would go back anytime for dinner. Menu changes daily (there were multiple options to choose from, for both the appetizer and the main dish).

Furthermore, the restaurant is no longer "vegetarian," but is now 100% vegan, which is great! The couple that runs the place are absolutely cool and friendly, and the decor and ambiance of the all-wood traditional rustic Japanese style made the restaurant a pleasure to dine in. I would go back anytime! :)

Healthfoodhunter
Healthfoodhunter

Big Disappointment

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2014

Went there for lunch on the weekend and was shocked at what a big let down it was. Over-priced, small quantity and unlike the impression given outside on their menu.
Topped my order off with the carrot cake and was served a cold/dry muffin, which was not much more than a 1/4 cup of food... for 600 yen! Unjustifiable in terms of quality and quantity.
Absolute disappointment in the way of Japanese quality and will never return there.

iokan
iokan

Ticks all the boxes

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

"Atl Cafe" is a rare place. It is one of the few restaurants in Japan that is actually easy to find (cross the road towards Nike from the Apple Store, keep walking until you have the pet shop on your left, Atl is opposite on the right). Besides this, I liked just about everything about it. The atmosphere is relaxing, the personnel is very friendly, the menu is available in English and of course the food is both healthy and tasteful.

I went here for dinner and especially the spinach risotto was very tasteful. The very next day I went back and had the hummus bagel, which was even better.

Most tables seat two people, but one can also sit at the bar and watch the food being prepared in the open kitchen. Since this is a low volume place, all food is prepared from scratch so it takes a little longer than usual for an order to be served.

The price for a three course meal (amuse, starter and main dish) might be a bit steep at 2000 yen, but considering the quality of the entire experience I was happy to pay for it. For me Atl ticks all the boxes!

Pros: tasty food, relaxing atmosphere, easy to find
Cons: not cheap (but not expensive either), a little wait for food to be prepared
AlohaEigo
AlohaEigo

Cozy, tasy, and artsy, but not that satisfying

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2014

This is a cozy spot if you are in the area and just need a light meal. When seated, you are given three wooden menus (dinner sets, drinks, deserts) and a nice view of the street below. The meals are tasty, though similar to a French restaurant in artistic presentation of food and small portions. I am personally more of a substance-over-style kind of diner, so I will probably not be returning. Though, if you do prefer a plate that looks like a painter's canvas and are eating light, this place is for you.

Pros: flavor, presentation, environment
Cons: portion size, selection, slow
laminarflow027
laminarflow027

Amazing Staff, great atmosphere!

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

This is great place for vegans and the staff is absolutely fabulous. I had the spinach and mushroom risotto - it was fresh and just the right amount filling. The vegan brownie for dessert was also really good. The music was also very laid back, ideal to get away from the busy Shinsaibashi shopping areas. Great place to stop by for lunch.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Polite staff, Good fusion food
Cons: Sort of slow, but worth it
al30sh
al30sh

Not kid friendly, make a reservation

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

We arrived 20 minutes after they opened, excited to try the food. The restaurant was virtually silent and we were practically shooed away by the hostess who said there was no room for us and to come back another day. I wondered if it was because we had a child with us who was noisier than the library like vibe inside. It seemed like there could have been room for us, and I guess they take reservations but the hostess didn't really explain how we could actually come back and eat there.

Cons: need a reservation, overwhelmingly quiet and formal feeling, not kid friendly
elena6324
elena6324

Note: the pin drops a few blocks from where it is

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

We went looking for this cafe, and based on where the pin dropped on my map, we were a few blocks off. As we made our way back, we stumbled upon it. Thankfully! It's on that street that it indicates, but only a 1/2 block off the main shopping corridor - just next to Denim & Supply Ralph Lauren. I didn't see the Krispy Kreme other reviews mentioned... I think it has closed. Look for the giant pink gorilla (I've attached a photo).

Fantastic cafe! The woman there (I assume owner) cooked/prepared everything on the spot. We got the lunch set - starter, dish, drink for 1,500 Yen. Great value. Everything tasted so fresh and delicious! I had the soup & risotto and my husband got the salad & bagel with hummus. Truly delicious!!

Also note that this site indicates that they're closed after 2pm. We were there around 3-4pm on a Monday (with a few other patrons), so I think they have expanded their hours.

The cafe is upstairs, but there are plenty of signs indicating where it is, so once you're in front of it (across the street for the giant gorilla), you'll easily find the door you need to go through. This place is clean and cute.

Enjoy!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 12, 2014

Pros: Delicious & fresh, English menu, Cute & clean
Cons: pin drops in wrong location on map
LindaGlimstedt
LindaGlimstedt

Cozy cafe near the central shoppingstreet

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

We went here on our first day in Osaka. We tried one of the lunch sets, which contained of a bagel, salad, soup and ratatouille. It was a light and pleasant meal, nothing spectacular. But it was very cheap! We wanted to go there more times, but it was closed due to the new years holiday.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff, Central
jesse
jesse

Nice for variety

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

I had the curry which was clean and healthy. Wasn't salty enough so they kindly brought me salt.

I agree with semichi. The bagels are dry and I'm not sure why they would concentrate on bagels.

It's a very nice little environment on the second floor. The staff were very nice and the place feels enlightened.

My suggestions would be to offer more substantial meals - especially considering that the prices are fairly high. As with many vegetarian / vegan restaurants, they need to concentrate on offering *protein* - meaning tofu and other beans. After I left I had to drink some soymilk because I felt undernourished.

The dessert was very good if a bit dry.

Would recommend, and hope to return some day.

Pros: clean food, Enlightened, Nice staff
Cons: Not enough protein, Dry food, Not cheap
semichi
semichi

Not-so-good food, good dessert and soy cappuccino

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

I went there for lunch and was disappointed by their food. They had homemade bagels but there was no spread on it. It was very weird to eat a dry bagel. The quiche was not so good and felt like a giant potato paste cake.

The salad dressing and dessert was pretty good. I like their soy cappuccino the most.

Pros: good location, nice vibe, friendly staff
Cons: food was not so good
lemurcat
lemurcat

Great desserts!

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

I got the bagel plate and my friend got curry. My food was good but she said hers was too salty. The desserts were pretty amazing, some of the best in Osaka. We tried the chocolate tart (amazing), shortcake (very good), and pudding (we agreed the pudding itself was amazing, although my friend didn't like the coffee-flavored topping).

Pros: English menu, Mostly vegan, Awesome desserts
Cons: Vegan options not labeled, Depressing pet store across the street, It's on the 2nd floor, so stairs
Aya
Aya

A nice place

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

Atl Cafe was quite nice. I ordered a bagel set, my partner had a vegan curry. I wouldn't say the food was very special. It wasn't off, but I felt it was 'dead', too sterile maybe.. Everything had been prepared in advance, which wouldn't be bad, but the food lacked vitality. Anyway, in Japan you are happy with what you get.

I also ordered a strawberry cake that looked great in the picture but the taste wasn't anything to write home about.

Even though I don't think this place was very special, I would go there again.

Pros: A nice place to have a hot drink&cake :p
Cons: The food isn't freshly made.
slo0go
slo0go

Most delicious vegan dessert ever

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2012

This place is really cute. The staff was very friendly, and completely knowledgeable of veganism. We were shown an English menu and told which of the items were vegan. I ordered the bagel lunch set, and my boyfriend got the curry set.

The homemade whole wheat bagel was absolutely delicious, and the soup it came with was so creamy! The set also came with marinated tofu that was very olive oily (yum!). My boyfriend's curry was also very delicious.

The sets come with a drink. I got the soy cappucino and he got the soy latte. The cappucino was fantastic. Then came dessert... I ordered the kugelhopf (sp?), which was like a fruity pound cake. It was delicious, but the chocolate tarte was the MOST DELICIOUS VEGAN DESSERT EVER, and I say that coming from New York City and having eaten all kinds of vegan desserts. What a surprise! I had to tell the staff in (my poor) Japanese how good the dessert was. So chocolatey and rich! Mmmm! And the creamy sauce both desserts came with was so good. The meal was slow, as described on this website, because the staff made everything to order. What a nice, relaxing meal :)

They take credit cards!

Pros: Vegan options, Most delicious vegan dessert ever
Cons: Sort of slow, but worth it
KirstenLoreen
KirstenLoreen

Dinner

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2012

I just got back from eating at Cafe Atl. I was really excited because I've mostly been cooking all of my food, as I've found it pretty difficult to ask for vegetarian items in restaurants. I ordered the curry with cous cous. It was good, but not great. The curry had only a few vegetables, I definitely could have done with more of the curry and veggies. My bill totally for 1600 for the curry and a glass of ice tea. So, in my opinion it's pretty over priced for what you get.
The interior is nice, wood floors and furniture. The staff didn't really speak english but they had an english menu and they seemed to understand most everything I said. I wouldn't mind going back with a friend for lunch or coffee, but I don't think I'll be going back for dinner.

Pros: nice staff, good atmosphere
Cons: small portions, over priced
odizzido
odizzido

Went on october 29th 2011

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2011

Those directions suck poo for people who don't know what the krispy kreme sign looks like. They also suck for anyone who used the map with the marker on it since that isn't where it is at all. I fit both of those. In the hopes that nobody else has the same trouble I did the real directions are as follows:
Completely ignore the map on this site. Just get on the subway and take the train to Shinsaibashi station. Once you get off and out of the station(there are four exits that I noticed) you want to be on the arcade street which is a pedestrian street that is covered. If you aren't on that street when you exit you need to head east a little. It should be about a 15 second walk. There are big street gates with Shinsaibashi written on them at the intersections so you can make sure.
Head south until you hit the krispy kreme....the sign is white with red text, then turn left and Atl cafe & bar will be very close.

Anyways as to the place itself it had a fair number of people in there. I never spoke english with the staff but a couple of others did and I didn't notice them having trouble. I got the veggie curry thing as well and it was good and 900円 with some iced tea. Not bad and a place I would goto again.

Pros: vegan curry, good price
Cons: somewhat limited selection
kat.ross
kat.ross

First day in Osaka for vegan & vegetarian - great!

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2011

I am vegan and my boyfriend is vegetarian. We fortunately printed off a list of veggie friendly restaurants before flying to Japan, as we'd heard eating food without fish would be difficult here. As Osaka was our first destination, we decided to go to Cafe ATL. The directions on this site were very good, as we spotted the Krispy Kreme store straight away. The cafe was lovely inside, and there were only two other people there along with myself and my boyfriend. We don't speak Japanese, however have learned a few key phrases to ask for the type of food we can and can't have, and the staff at Cafe ATL were very accommodating. They complimented us on our Japanese, and said if we were going to Tokyo we'd have to try Deva Deva Cafe. I had brown rice with vegetable curry, which was delicious, and my other half said the dish he had was lovely too. A good start to what we're hoping will be a great trip - thanks Cafe ATL for restoring our hope in finding veggie food in Japan :-)

Pros: Reasonably priced, Good portions, Friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Atl: