Extensive breakfast menu, a lunch special for around 5 euro, sandwiches, coffees (with soymilk option), and non-vegan desserts. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food

First Review by Elven
NirVeg
NirVeg

A small haven for vegans

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

It is really rare to find a place that takes the time and attention to prepare 'true' vegan food, and this cafe surley does that. they have 5 special options for main dishes which are 100% vegan, all are delicious, plus a soup and salads. also great cakes with some vegan options. In short- we kept coming almost each day of our vacation to Haffenbrot, which sums our positive experience there. really recommended

Pros: delicious 100% vegan options on menu, good value, friendly staff
bdk418
bdk418

Good food, great service

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2014

Four of us enjoyed our dinner at this restaurant. Two of us had their veggie burger meal, which came with great fries and a small green salad. It was filling, tasty, and totally worth the price. One of us had a salad for dinner, and she was pleased, the other also had a burger. If we find ourselves in Lubeck again, we would definitely return to this restaurant!

David Jones
David Jones

a nice candle-lit meal without meat!

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

it has been some years since I found a really inviting location to enjoy veggie food so Cafe Affenbrot (Monkey Bread!) was a great surprise. The Menu included a lovely fresh pumpkin soup with wholemeal (monkey?) bread and some really yummy tempura vegetables with a delicious sauce. There is also a midday offer with a different special dish every day The candlelight made it all the more special of course. As soon as it gets warmer will be back to sit on the very inviting terrace.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 29, 2011

Pros: great atmosphere, lovely food, friendly service
Cons: none I noticed

NIlsI
NIlsI

really just vegetarian

2 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

I thought it could be easy to have vegan options for a vegetarian restaurant but the Cafe Affenbrot just offered two vegan dishes - when I've been there...

The taste was ok but nothing special and too expensive for not getting filled.

I decided not to go there anymore...

Cons: few vegan options, pricy, nothing special
hungrig
hungrig

Limited vegan options

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2012

There weren't many vegan options when I was there, though that may have changed. I had the tofu burger. It was good but small.

Cons: Small portion
pfafff
pfafff

2 stars

2 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

when I read "vegetarian" I think of healty food but it's not what I've found in the cafe affenbrot. there were seitan and tofu (which I didn't find elsewhere). I don't remember the name of my plate, but there were only arugula and fried tofu. there are endless ways to cook tofu and seitan. fried, is the worste. and it's unhealty. the plate was poor and I was still hungry. my girfriend was unhappy as well. I spent about 18 euro for.. nothing. I ate better at the last floor of the karlstadt (centre of lubeck). a self service restaurant with vegetarian soup, legumes, fresh vegetables, pasta.. there was also meat and fish, but there were many vegetarian choice. and it was cheaper than cafe affenbrot.

AndyT
AndyT

Nice and friendly vegetarian bistro, vegan options

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2012

A very nice vegetarian "bistro" type restaurant with a food selection of vegetarian small dishes. Of course there could be more vegan dishes and it would be great if those were specifically marked on the menu, but there was a decent selection and the dishes themselves were quite tasty.

The waitresses were friendly and the time it took for the food to arrive was also ok. Prices are fair. Definitely a place that can be endorsed to fellow vegans who happen to come to the lovely city of Luebeck.

Pros: Good food, friendly staff, wide selection of coffees/teas
Cons: most dishes include dairy/eggs, surcharge for soymilk instead of cowmilk
SannaS
SannaS

Nice vegetarian bistro

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

Nice and easy restaurant. After reading the reviews, we were expecting a 'bistro' kind of place, not some fancy Michelin-restaurant, and that is what we got. Service was friendly, maybe a bit slow. Place was cosy. Toys for kids both inside and outside. Food was quite good, and well worth the money. My husband is vegan, and it was not a problem to prepare his food dairy free; tomato soup was served without cream. (Most dishes did contain cheese or other dairy products.)
Tofuburger was quite small, but that was mentioned on the menu, and it cost only 4 €, so I it was not a supprise. The burger was a little 'dry'.

thebadfairy
thebadfairy

Excellent.

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2011

I live in Denmark and any time I'm passing even anywhere near Lübeck I will make sure to stop just to go to Cafe Affenbrot. I've always found the staff incredibly friendly, the food good, large portions and the prices fair. They don't have many vegan options though. An English menu is available on request.

Pros: Good value, Friendly staff, Hearty food
Cons: Few vegan options
hack_man
hack_man

Crafts Fayre Atmosphere

3 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2011

Wasn't expecting much based on reviews but a train trip to beautiful Lubeck was essential whilst in Hamburg. The cafe is fairly easy to find at the other end of town to the Hbf (train station). It's accessed either through a small shopping centre or at the main entrance on the other side. Staff are OK, not overtly friendly but not unfriendly. The menu is quite extensive with daily specials, burgers, pizzas, salads, omelettes, baked cheeses, hot and cold drinks, wines & beers. The tofu burger was very small (2 spicy balls in a small bun) but tasty. The mushrooms in white wine sauce with salad and garlic bread was satisfactory but more like something you'd get as a vegi option at a wedding perhaps. The atmosphere here is a bit like a boring crafts shop, people coming and going and just being functional. Glad I went but wouldn't go back.

Pros: soya milk
Cons: limited vegan, pricey, atmosphere
Sarah Smile
Sarah Smile

Disappointment

2 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

My husband and I walked 25 minutes in the pouring rain to this restaurant, I was so happy to find a vegetarian restaurant in this small town. We walked in to find the walls vibrating from the punk concert next door. I would have tolerated it but the rudeness of the server and the atmosphere of the restaurant turned us right off. We decided to leave and head to the Italian restaurants across from the Holstentor Gate where we had to eat for the 3 days that we were there.

Cons: Atmosphere, Rude Staff
veganik
veganik

Not very vegan friendly

2 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

The only vegetarian place we knew of in Lübeck, they don't have many vegan options, and what we did have was fairly bland. The portions were too small for a proper meal, good (but expensive) for a snack. The staff were a bit rude as well.

Guest
Guest

cheese, cheese ,cheese!

2 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2009

I have tried this place a few times in the hope it would become more vegan friendly. They eventually brought in soy milk which helped but they became less and less accomodating when it came to the issue of cheese. The last time I visited I recieved nothing but contempt from the waitress when I simply asked if it was possible to leave cheese off the meal. They have recently updated their menu and it seems that the portions have gotten smaller and the price higher. I will not be going there again. It is a good vegetarian restaurant, but there are other places in the city which are alot more vegan friendly.

Pros: perfect for cheese lovers, Soy Milk
Cons: not vegan friendly, not friendly
Gijs
Gijs

Affenbrot

3 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2009

This place is easy to reach on foot when exploring the historical centre of Luebeck. Vegan dishes are rare and the tofu sandwich I had was not very spectacular. The vegan soy milk shake was great though! For such a big place it is surprising that the toilet is shared with the neighbouring shops. To visit the toilet you need to pick up a key from one of these shops.

Pros: nice atmosphere, great vegan shake
Cons: not many vegan choices, average sandwich
Elven
Elven

Monkey's bread

3 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2009

.. that's what the name of this extraordinary place means. Hidden at the back of Luebeck's old city center, it has a nice menu offering a large variety of dishes. The burgers, omelettes, sandwiches, soups, pies and quiches might not exceed "fastfood" or "snack" status, but the food is good and fresh, and the portions enormous. Vegans will be disappointed because nearly everything is smothered in grilled cheese ("ueberbacken", typical German-style). This also makes the dishes rather heavy on the stomach. Also many fresh juices and ice-cream. Nice and friendly service and the only vegetarian option in Luebeck.

Pros: Nice environment, Lots of choice, Giant portions
Cons: Nothing vegan on the menu, Too much cheese

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Affenbrot: