Serves meat, veg options available. Eclectic, homey atmosphere. Veg choices include fried artichoke sub, vegan chili, and buffalo tofu sandwich. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
825 W Cary St (Cherry St)
Richmond, Virginia 23230
804-649-1042

Open Tue-Fri 8am-10pm, Sat-Sun 9am-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by smylly
aidil02
aidil02

Tahini Garlic dressing of my dreams

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

I seriously have dreams about this Tahini Garlic Dressing! It is that good. Hubby is omni and he loves to come here with me so this is an easy date night choice for us.

I have had the black bean burger, the "chicken" salad sandwich and the "chicken" satays. All were quite good, but I prefer the last two items the most.

The pace of service is not always what one would prefer, but everyone is more than friendly.

Portions are also pretty good.

Pros: Price, Portions, Tasty
Cons: Water takes a while to get
meredith
meredith

Oldie But a Goodie

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2013

Awesome place to eat with omnivores and vegans alike - it's hard to find breakfast places like that!

When I went to VCU, I lived a block and a half from 821. It's since changed addresses (it's at 825 now), but the food is still just as good and it's now much cleaner.

Tips:

1) a must order: Rosemary Potatoes. Do not forget to order the rosemary potatoes.
2) Tofu Po Boy, Breakfast Burrito, & Tofu Scramble are my faves. Good grits, fresh fruit... They have sriracha and are good about coffee refills and knowing what's vegan and what's not. (their biscuits are not vegan, btw)...
3) Sometimes they have delicious vegan desserts! They are posted on the walls with the day's specials on a chalkboard on the front window (hard to see at times).
4) expect a wait on the weekends if you go after 1015/1030am
5) speed of food delivery is hit or miss. I've been in there with two other tables and haven't received my food for half an hour. I've been with a packed house and received my food in 10 min. Worth the wait though.

Pros: good atmosphere and vibe, usually friendly staff! , Great place for people of all diets.
pentagoth79
pentagoth79

The place to go for breakfast

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

Their new building is much newer and cleaner. They have a really good vegan breakfast menu. Everything I've tried was great. The service is good too.

Pros: Good food, Good service, Good selection
Cons: Serves meat:(
robpaterson
robpaterson

Excellent vegan Selections, and They Deliver

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

I stayed at a hotel downtown and decided to try this place because I am vegan, and they deliver. I ordered the Buffalo Tofu Sandwich, which was so good that I ordered it twice. The first time I opted for onion rings, where excellent, the second time I asked for fried artichoke hearts (as a separate side), which were unbelievably good. The herbed orzo was a disappointment (did the job, just not amazing), but overall, if what I ordered is any indication of the quality of the other vegetarian items on the menu, I will definitely order from this place again if I am ever in Richmond.

Finally, I am extremely grateful that they deliver. If you are staying downtown, there is almost nothing for vegetarians (many restaurants downtown don't even have a single vegetarian dish on the menu, although most will make one if you ask), and many places either close early or open late or are not opened at all on the weekends, so the fact that they are one of the few vegan-friendly places that deliver is hugely helpful.

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Good Value, Friendly Staff
Cons: Need More Veggie Meat Analogues
smylly
smylly

Favorite vegan breakfast in Richmond

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2011

Although they serve meat and cheese, they still have the best vegan breakfasts! The vegan breakfast burrito is awesome. They also serve some vegan cakes from Blackbird Bakery that are pretty tasty.

Pros: good vegan food, good service, nice atmosphere
Cons: a little small/can get crowded

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe 821: