Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort

A 55-acre private sanctuary with breathtaking views, a 2007-foot ocean beachfront, a lakefront on Church Pond, waterfall fed Indian Brook, and all modern conveniences. Offers various types of comfortable accommodation and a bistro specializing in vegetarian and vegan fare using fresh, wild, and local ingredients. more-less

First Review by lolaphilly
dbm
dbm

Wonderful vegetarian and vegan options!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

My wife, my colleague and I recently had a wonderful vegetarian dinner at Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort. The owners, Paul and Barbara, were super friendly and the food was extremely good. We highly recommend to anyone visiting Cape Breton Island to visit their excellent Bistro.

Pros: Very vegetarian and vegan friendly, Hosts are very friendly, Location is beautiful!
lolaphilly
lolaphilly

Soul Food with a Healthy Twist

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

I made my way up to Cabot Shores in the cold months of January, and the food was a highlight. Prior to my visit, owners Paul and Barbara asked me over the phone what my dietary preferences were, which I thought was very kind. Yes, I do fall into that "pick eater" web, where wheat sensitivity and fish-only ways rule. But such specifics were welcomed with open arms. How unusual!

Barbara is a lovely Swiss woman who pumps out creative, delicious dishes- every meal was an "ah-ha" moment. The cream of cauliflower cheddar cheese bisque? I still dream about it at night. From build-your-own veggie tacos (homemade bean pastes, a buffet of interesting ingredients, and an array of fabulous sauces) to breaded haddock cakes, wheat-free pasta + yummy meat-free sauce, and things like
black walnut shortbread or pumpkin cookies for dessert? It was appetizer, main, dessert, and full-out service.

The food is made with heart, as fresh, local ingredients are used as much as possible. I found out that in the warmer months, Cabot Shores grows all their own veggies and herbs in a garden outside. How lovely. Above all, the hospitality was out of this world. In a spot so relaxed and with no fronts, I enjoyed real, wholesome meals that were absolutely their own cuisine. It seems like Barbara has an inner sense, and I like that. The food is healthy, hearty, creative and delicious. I implore anyone (vegetarian or nay) to stop by Cabot Shores the next time you're in Cape Breton! Bon Appetite.

Pros: healthy, homemade , inventive

Dear Owner and Manager of Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort: