Vegan cafe and takeaway opened in Nov 2012. Offers a large range of food like bagels, hot meals, and sandwiches to starters and vegan desserts. Beverages include juices, shakes, hot chocolate, coffee and teas. All food is cooked on the premises by staff. Also has an area selling vegan groceries, shirts, and accessories. Profits go towards the upkeep of the C-A-L-F rescue animal sanctuary. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Western, English, Bakery, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by ravenswing
PandaGledhill
PandaGledhill

Vegan omelette and cheesy chips - really!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2014

This amazing café provides 'normal' food, they type of thing you might miss when you first went vegan or the things some meat eaters would feel comfortable with. Massive menu (which means you'll keep going back!) provides such a good choice! I took my teenage niece this time who had a full on meal of bangers and mustard mash with peas and gravy and I had the breakfast omelette with cheesy chips and coleslaw (and later chocolate peppermint cheesecake!). It's well priced so you won't break the bank if you have a family meal there. It's inspirational and beautiful to look at and filled with exciting crafts and gifts. It even sells the stuff they use in the kitchen (I bought some squirty cream and marshmallows for hot chocolate at home and some rashers and 'ham' slices). All the proceeds of the café fund their sanctuary making them the most lovely, hardworking team ever - a pleasure to visit!

Pros: Extensive menu, Good value, Seaside location
RozelleCunningham
RozelleCunningham

Fab

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2014

Took a trip to calf today to sample the food and look at the shop.
Ate a lovely vegan meal and made several purchases in the shop.
( Our dog loved his doggy treat.)
All of which was a delight and we will certainly be joining you again.
Many thanks you do an amazing job.

Pros: friendly staff, great value, delightful shop
furry_face
furry_face

Excellent cafe selling delicious vegan food!

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2013

There are very few vegan places to eat so we made a special journey to Scarborough to try the CALF cafe and we weren't disappointed! Even though the weather was cold outside, the cafe interior was warm and welcoming. The menu had a good choice of meals and there were daily specials on offer. We chose the all day vegan breakfast and burger and chips with a side salad. Our meals were served in good time and were very tasty. For dessert we both chose the hot chocolate fudge cake and it was divine! Worth a visit just for this! You wouldn't have to be vegan to enjoy the food here and it's very reasonably priced so do give it a go if you're in Scarborough at lunchtime. All profits go towards the upkeep of an animal sanctuary which makes eating here even better!

Chris Phillips Vegan
Chris Phillips Vegan

What a wonderful place, in a lovely town

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

There are few towns that have genuine ALL VEGAN Cafe's/ Restaurants. Scarborough is so lucky. This is run by lovely caring people, who know how to serve lovely food, suitable for anyone, and willing to make changes to suit people who have allergies or great dislikes of certain foods. A place you can take anyone to.

Pros: Wonderful food, lovely atmosphere, sensible prices
ChrisGeeson
ChrisGeeson

The best veg cafe in Yorkshire

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

CALF is a fabulous place. An amazing range of mains and desserts, as well as a shop. What really makes it stand out for me are meals like mock-chicken bbq salad and meatless bacon & sausage breakfast ciabatta. You don't see choices like those everywhere! I know so-called mock meats aren't to everyone's taste and that's probably why you don't see them on very many veggie cafe menus. But in my opinion they are just another way of adding variety to an already variety-filled diet, so why not? You can pretend they have a different name if you like. Flavoured soy/wheat protein?
Anyway, there's plenty more to their menu. Did I mention their gorgeous waffles and their home-made vegan icecream? Their fabulous decor? Their fundraising for the animal sanctuary? You really must visit CALF. A step away from the beach and and right on the main shopping street. A perfect day out!
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 19, 2013

hack_man
hack_man

Vegan Oasis

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

100% vegan delights to be found here - the main courses are well priced and super tasty. For our visit on 18 May 2013 we had the mock chicken Provençal served with potato skins & salad and a breakfast ciabatta filled with bacon, tomatoes, sausages and mushrooms. All delicious. For dessert a vegan waffle with divine chocolate sauce, whipped cream and banana and a chocolate and banana cake with cream. Look no further if you'd like a luxury soya milkshake, maybe next time!!  There is just too much choice. Such a friendly and inviting place with a strong focus inside on being kind to animals which is a very important message. Will definitely be back here again, I really hope they do well and go on for years to come. For what this place is and represents it has to be 5 Happy Cows for me.

Pros: Good food, Fair prices, Animal friendly
ConflictJohn
ConflictJohn

Oasis of Serenity and Indulgence

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

While on a road trip to Wakefield, I decided to take a 90 minute detour specifically to visit the lovely folks at C-A-L-F as I'd read so much about their cafe and project on Facebook and was sympathetic to it's cause against cruelty that I so wanted to see the cafe for myself.

Firstly, it's situated on the street right behind the harbour and fortunately at the bottom of the hill. The building is dappled like a Friesian cow, so you won't miss it.

Going through the door you're greeted immediately with an earth-mother kind of look, but don't look to your left, as that's where the chocolate cakes are :) The cafe is beautifully decorated, that it's much more than what you'd call a cafe, and in actual fact it's a cafe/shop. There's a beautiful painting on the ceiling of all the animals C-A-L-F struggle to represent, indeed until every cage is empty.

So we sat down and looked at the menu. There's all types of snacks available from sandwiches to vegan burgers, with mock meat or traditional bean-based. Ice-cream desserts, soya of course, Luxury soya-Milkshakes and of course THE CHOCOLATE CAKE. I had the vegan bean burger and a chocolate luxury milkshake (with a scoop of soya ice cream at the bottom). Everything was great and top quality. Prices were exceptionally reasonable, especially for a seaside town, but too cheap that it encouraged me to eat more than my waistline should have allowed. Only then did I notice the specials board, damn, but I couldn't eat any more. The Cruelty-Free Chocolate Cherry Liqueur cake was delicious and I reckon so thought everyone else, as I must have had the last slice.

There are all types of teas, herbal and otherwise, plus coffee and our favourite Fentimans selection of Cola, Ginger Beer and all.

The staff were warm and welcoming, and service was great too. I took note of the sign, Be Nice or Leave, obviously intended for the not so nice people who like to tease vegans.

If I lived in Scarborough, I'd be eating there quite a few times a week. And while I've eaten in other vegan cafes and restaurants, nothing quite compares to the rustic elegance of C-A-L-F, Compassionate Animal Liberators & Friends. Every penny that C-A-L-F make goes to help save lives, so I left with a full belly and a warm heart back on my 4 hour return-leg to Glasgow.

And when you leave, don't forget to tip the cow on the counter, she needs donations :)

Pros: Great Quality Food, Ethical Food & Beautiful Surroundings, Genuine & Polite Staff
JonB
JonB

Fabulous place 4 veggies, vegans (and carnivores)

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

Such a lovely place to eat that we went twice in the 2 days we were in the area. Our dogs were welcome and slept by the fire while we stuffed ourselves with savoury delights served with amazing salads (not just the usual iceberg and a chopped tomato you find in most places). The desserts were just plain annoying - annoying that there was so many and we had to stop ourselves from being greedy and only have one each! We could of just one big vegan eat-a-thon here. In fact, what an idea for a fundraiser for our animal sanctuary!!

CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT AGAIN.

Pros: Fab food, Fab staff, Fab atmosphere
ficam
ficam

Great vegan food and lovely atmosphere

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2013

Lovely staff who are keen to help, delicious vegan food including fabulous baking. Great for lunch, or just coffee and cake.
Worth driving 50 miles for :)
Lovely open fire makes calf a welcoming winter venue.
All that and you get to support a worthwhile cause - win win!!

Pros: Fantastic savouries, Excellent baking, Lovely atmosphere
LibWilson-Stephens
LibWilson-Stephens

Amazing food, beautiful cafe, amazing ladies.

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

C-A-L-F cafe is by far the best cafe I have visited.

I have visited many times over the past few months and it by far exceeds expectations every time. It is so good to see such committment to the animal welfare cause and such amazing food at the same time. The food consists of cruelty free main meals which vary every day - all delicious. The desserts are to die for and change daily as well. There is a variety of hot and cold drinks, the milkshakes are especially good.

All food is 100% vegan and so so tasty! I would recommend this cafe to anyone, vegan, veggie or just interested in trying something different. There is also a lot of information leaflets about animal welfare that you can pick up.

This cafe serves gorgeous food at affordable prices and does so so much more - the ladies who run it are friendly and lovely, they put everything they have into promoting cruelty free lives and they use all their profits to help rescue animals.

I would eat here every day if I could I like it so much!!!!

Pros: great food, reasonable prices, you are helping rescue animal
Cons: non
VeganCal
VeganCal

Spectacular in every way

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

I couldn't be more impressed with C-A-L-F. My vegan family and I quite often make a special trip to Scarborough (we live in Teesside, about 45 miles away) to support this wonderful cause and to sample some of the beautiful food (the cakes are out of this world!). The staff are always attentive, fast to serve and friendly (anyone who says otherwise is wrong) and despite the busy lives they have with looking after all their rescue animals and running a cafe at the same time, they still have time to stop and have a chat. I also have a C-A-L-F hoodie, bought for my 25th birthday, which was made as a custom order super-quick, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Great food, excellent service, beautiful surroundings, lovely staff - AND you get to support a fabulous cause at the same time. How can you go wrong?

Keep up the fantastic work ladies!

Pros: Generous portions, Amazing vegan food, Noble cause
Cons: Not enough customers - GO THERE TODAY!!!
ravenswing
ravenswing

Delicious food, cheap prices, committed staff

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2012

This is a beautiful cafe, and it serves delicious food. I had a cheese and pickle pasty which was gorgeous, served with vegan coleslaw and beans. They do a selection of drinks, including milkshakes blended with icecream - yumyum :) For pudding I had a chocolate mousse with coconut cream topping, and at the bottom there was a little chocolate truffle - a lovely suprise. I got a drink, main and pudding for under £10, complete bargain!! Will definately be going again, it's great to see staff so committed to animal welfare, I would recommened to anyone.

Pros: Delicious food, Beautiful cafe, Cheap
  • sharon calf sharon calf

Thanks so much...Hugs from calf...EVERY PENNY we earn goes to the cause and animals.
    We work for nothing but the rewards of seeing animals lives saved far out way money in the pocket.
    X