Serves meat, veg options available. Menu includes a vegetable & tofu section. Has yellow bean tofu (soy-free). The noodle dishes can be made vegan and are marked if cannot be. Servers understand vegan diets - let them know. Price: Moderate more-less
Burmese, Southeast Asian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
4721 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, California 94609
510-652-2900

Open Mon 11:30am-3pm, 5-9:30pm, Tue-Thur, Sun 11:30am-3pm, 5-10pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-3pm, 5-10:30pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by pepperka
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

yummy

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

We met two local friends here for lunch as it's one of their favorite places. They made a good choice! We all started with wine and cocktails along with the lotus chips. We let our friends do the ordering and we enjoyed the eggplant, pea shoots and fiery tofu along with some amazing coconut rice. The service was good and they never rushed us even though we were taking our time ordering, etc. Definitely a place to check out if you are in the neighborhood.

Pros: tasty vegan options, wine, beer and cocktails
Cons: not all vegan
pepperka
pepperka

Undecided

3 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2011

It's hard for me to decide for sure how I felt about Burma Superstar. We went on suggestion from a few friends, some of which are vegan and some not. Be warned you'll have to wait a long time to sit, and there isn't really a good area to wait unless it's nice outside. The seating situation isn't great if, like us, you're stuck right next to the bar in front of the area where the servers are walking the whole time--like trying to eat in the middle of a crowded sidewalk or something.
We made sure to tell the server we were vegan, and didn't explain in as full detail as normal since he jumped in and said he understood perfectly. The Peashoots were really really good... honestly I still think about them fondly and this was two months ago. Oh, and the coconut rice is also really yummy. But I'm 99% positive our spicy tofu dish had fish sauce or something similar. It smelled like fish and had that too-slick feeling in my mouth. We asked the server and he said there was no fish sauce, but his expression read more along the lines of "tell them what will involve the least fixing on my part." We ate some of it, but seriously... when I opened the leftovers the smell of fish just wafted out.
My suggestion would be go for the peashoots, and be extremely precise with your server. And don't take "no" for an answer if your food tastes fishy.

Pros: peashoots!, decor, location
Cons: service, seating, price

Dear Owner and Manager of Burma Superstar: