Vegan and gluten free bake shop. Vegan cupcakes, cakes, cookies, muffins, pies, bread & baked donuts. more-less
3054 Dundas St W
Toronto, Ontario M6P 1Z7
647-352-2975

Open Mon-Sat 10am-7pm, Sun 12-5pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by halston
Guest
Guest

best cupcakes ever!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

A heat wave was hitting Toronto when we were visiting in July. Bunner's was sort of on our way to the Science Center, so we decided to pick up some dessert. There is no seating available in the store, which was okay by me, as there was no air conditioning in the store. We tried the red velvet, strawberry cream (summer special, I think), and chocolate. Those were the best cupcakes I have ever had! The cake itself was very moist. I'm usually not a fan of a lot of frosting, so I removed about 50% of it, and the rest went very well with the cake.

It's a good thing I don't live in Toronto. I'd be eating cupcakes every day and getting super fat!

Pros: excellent cupcakes, friendly staff
Cons: no airconditioning
maulydaft
maulydaft

Little Gem in the Junction

4 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

Toronto's FIRST vegan bakery! (Yeah it took us long enough! :P)
Gluten free and tasty as heck. Personally I go ape over the "creamies" - chocolate chip cookie with icing cream in the middle. There are always lots of cupcakes to choose from and they even have savory pastries too. Wish I lived closer!
The chickpea pockets are really great.
Prices are a little expensive.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 28, 2011

frenchtoast
frenchtoast

Yummy Cupcakes :)

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2011

I went for the first time today- I am not vegan or gluten free but I was really impressed! I had a sonic gypsy cookie, a doughnut and a cookies & cream cupcake... The cookie was good, not very sweet but had deep flavors of cocoa and coffee.. The doughnut was to die for, so good.. and the cupcake was soft and yummy.. Everything I had could certainly stand up and outshine their non vegan gluten free counter parts. They didn't have any coffee and have a very small shopfront, but recommended an indie place across the street which let me eat the goods there :)

Pros: friendly service, yummy food, cute & clean
Cons: tiny shop
oneoh1
oneoh1

Amazing Cupcakes and other Sweets

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2011

I've been to Bunners several times now. Great place. The cupcakes are amazing. The cakes are incredible and the cookies are tasty. Everything's strictly vegan.

Pros: fresh, made right at the store, great location
Cons: store is small, so popular they run out sometimes

Ken4057
Ken4057

Quite disappointing

3 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

Came here mid-afternoon and very little was left. We were looking for whoopie pies, which they were out of, but luckily they were still available across the street at an indie cafe. We got a frosted lemon cupcake, an oatmeal cookie and picked up a whoopie pie at the cafe.

My ladyfriend and I are what you could call 'heavy vegan cupcake users'. Their cupcake was not very good at all in our humble opinion. The frosting was bland and dense, and so was the cake portion.

The whoopie pie is a cookie sandwich composed of two large chocolate cookies and vanilla frosting filling. It's the trend in the city right now. Bunner's version was sickly sweet and very salty. Ugh. We both felt gross afterward (and we only ate half of it and saved the cupcake and cookie for much later). It's the only vegan version in the city, though, so fml.

The oatmeal cookie turned out to be the saving grace of the visit. It was chunky, flavourful and wholesome. I'd happily go back just for that.

I hope they improve their recipes, perhaps by studying other local vegan cupcakes. Until then, Burlington's KindFood has far superior cupcakes (available in Toronto solely at Panacea Grocery Store as of the writing of this review). Sweets From The Earth also do a fine Irish Coffee cupcake.

I wish them luck in any case.

Dear Owner and Manager of Bunner's Bake Shop: