Bulan Thai Vegetarian...

Thai food menu featuring starters, salads, noodles, fried rice, currys, stir frys, and main entrees with choice of mockmeat or tofu. Brown rice, coconut rice, and other rice available. Everything can be made vegan upon request. Small and casual. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by eric
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great food!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

I can't say enough about how tasty this place is. The price can add up after appetizers and entrees and desserts, but all of it is VERY delicious.

I recommend the mock-chicken satay for an appetizer. It's incredible!

Street parking can be hard to come by - that's the only downfall.

Pros: All-vegetarian
Cons: Difficult parking
Fritz
Fritz

Best Grilled Dumplings Around!

3 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

Yes, we LOVE Bulan's grilled dumplings, which are always delectable! I know of no other restaurant that has dumplings this good! We almost always order them for our appetizer. And, in general, the food is quite tasty. Some of my favorite entrees are: Eggplant Lover, Sizzling Pla Rad Prig, Pad Kee Mao "Drunken Noodles," and Chow Mein.

Unfortunately, the restaurant is tiny, and this factor has caused us not to go there nearly as often as we probably would if there were more room. Also, on at least one of our several visits, the noise level was very high, which we didn't like. The service, however, has always been good. Due to the tininess of the restaurant, we usually call for delivery, and the delivery time has usually been quite reasonable.

Pros: Outstanding grilled dumplings!, Tasty food, Good service
Cons: Restaurant is tiny, Sometimes very noisy, Prices are a bit high
melindaN
melindaN

very good!!!

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

pumpkin tofu and the eggplant is excellent! wonderful service ... great place for super good Thai food!

Chia
Chia

Thai Vegetarian Food

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Bulan Thai Vegetarian review.

My husband and I have eaten here several times, usually when we happen to be in the Melrose Area. Sometimes the food is good, sometimes average.

What I like about the menu is that it's varied and very authentic Thai - no western burgers and wraps like the other Thai veggie places in the LA area.

The taste, however, tends to be on the salty side and can be very spicy (Thai style), so ask for mild and less salt.

Small space, nicely decorated.

NMarx13
NMarx13

I love this place!

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2011

There are many great things to say about Bulan, but I have to say that their food is fabulous. It always tastes good & unlike most other thai food it never suits as heavy afterwards in your stomach. Their buffalo chicken wings are extremely addicting & I just live the Busaba Pumpkin dish. Yum yum!
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 18, 2011

Pros: Great food, Healthy, Fast delivery

Bud Coffey
Bud Coffey

Note to me missed! Silver Lake location

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2010

When I take friends to vegan restaurants I'm prepared for "lovely tasting cardboard". Not the case at BULON. "This is really good" is the norm here. I espically like their pumpkin main entre (sorry I don't remember its name). They also have great coconut flavored rice. I've eaten in lots of veg restaurants in my 30+ years as a vegan, and this is one of the best.

Pros: Excellent, Great $ value, Friendly staff
earthville
earthville

Above average in taste, but not all vegan

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2010

Bulan is our go-to Thai place in LA when dining out with non-vegan friends. We agree with the comments below from gr8vegan and Sonja and Dirk, and we have little to add except to say that we feel the kind folks at Bulan have a nice touch with the subtleties of taste and presentation that we appreciate.

Pros: Very tasty vegan Thai dishes, Nuanced flavor and nice atmosphere
Cons: Not all vegan, Not organic, Parking
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Crisp fish with green apple

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2009

The crisp fish with green apple is my favorite dish there and I probably never would have tried it if not for the reviews here. The flavors together are just marvelous. And they have sticky rice with mango...yummy! We go to the Silver Lake location now, but this one has a nicer atmosphere and decor.

Pros: authentic thai, crisp fish, sticky rice
Cons: parking
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Great Veg Thai Restaurant to take a non veg person

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2009

Bulan is decently priced, parking is $5 via the Valet, but at least you don't have to drive around looking for a spot. Its not 100% vegan like many of the Thai restaurants but much of the menu is vegan or vegan optional. It has one of the nicer interiors on the Veg Thai Scene. I'd say it'd be my #1 place to take non veg people interested in Thai food, but its definitely not my favorite Thai restaurant, I'd rather eat at a 100% vegan one. Still they did a great job with my meal, Drunken Noodles with the pad thai noodles and no oil! healthy & spicy!

Pros: will do oil free, inexpensive
Cons: $5 valet, not 100% vegan
elaineastorga
elaineastorga

LOVE this place!

5 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2009

i love all their dishes! the place is very small, the people are super nice, and the food is great!!! parking is a hassle though. love their "chicken" wings!

Pros: GREAT FOOD!
Cons: parking
HOMEBODY
HOMEBODY

What Happened?

2 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2008

We've been eating here for years, and it's always been consistently good... until last week. We ordered two dishes, both things we've eaten before. Eggplant with fake chicken and spinach with tofu. The eggplant wasn't cooked. It was hard and bitter. We sent it back. It came back still uncooked. Still hard and bitter. We ate what we could, a few pieces were soft. On to the spinach. It wasn't cooked either! Raw spinach is not a big deal. But the dish wasn't very good either. Bland, uncooked. I don't know what happened to this place. We asked if maybe there was a new chef. They said it's the same chef. Maybe we came on a bad night. We didn't get any discount or apology about the food. Almost $40 including valet parking... so much for a nice evening. We went home hungry and irritated. No more Bulan for us!

Pros: good menu
Cons: uncooked food, difficult parking
The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Average

3 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2008

Been here serveral times, usually with a friend or two, and we would share our food. I've had the currys, the stir frys, most of the appetizers, and a couple of the soups.

Food in general is okay and can be improved. The flavors are strong but too much on the heavy side - lots of sauce, salt, and sugar. I would suggest for the kitchen to tone down the sauces, and let the aromas of the vegetables themselves surface.

The atompshere is pleasant.

Pros: all vegetarian, convenient location, varied menu
Cons: heavy sauce, salt, sugar, small portions
enchantingenergy
enchantingenergy

The absolute best...if you know what to order

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2007

Hello, May I begin by saying I am a very picky with my thai.. lived in san francisco and have eaten thai all over the world. I LOVE bulan besides the fact that its woman owned and operated there is no msg and its veggie! I have had some mediocre things here tho, and since i have had almost everything I would suggest,
-sate-dumpings(grilled!)-summer rolls (NOT fryed spring rolls)-tempeh- (none of the noodle dishes are that great)-all the curries are amazing-the garlic pepper chicken-the asperagus- and the banana dessert! ENJOY!

Pros: great service, amazing food, clean
Cons: bad noodles!, too far from where i live...
erbavore
erbavore

Wow, Thai Food that's 100% veggie,,, Impressive...

3 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2007

Wow, Thai Food that's 100% veggie,,, Impressive...
Too bad the food Wasn't impressive.

We started out with soup. I had Tum Kha which is my favorite soup. It was fairly good. Not the best I had, but acceptable.

Our Spring Roll appetizer was as BAD as it gets. :(

We had ordered 2 main Dishes. I ordered mine "SUPER THAI HOT," well I couldn't taste the first chili, nor could I taste the peanut sauce.
I asked for more sauce, but they had to make it for me and charge me. :(

I eventually took some sauces they gave me and made it into a tasty dish, but it took effort on my part.

My partners dish on the other had was completely horrible. The dish and silverware was dirty and the taste, and the taste of the food was horrible. She finished my dish.

As I reflect upon the overall experience, I actually did enjoy it. I would go back to try some additional dishes and see if I could find an gems in the menu.

Pros: price, selection, friendliness of staff
Cons: taste of food, cleanliness was barely acceptable
Guest
Guest

bulan in melrose

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2007

my first time to eat in this restaurant. my husband and my son went over to this place because we heard a lot of good things about it. we were vegetarians for 29 years and never found the best vegetarian resto here in LA. so there we went and not so far from our home. first we tried the spring rolls, oh my god!! it was the best ever! and then they served the food we ordered after that. the pad thai was excellent, the curry tofu and the mixed veg was cooked by gods! i have eaten into different thai veg resto but this one is far excellent. they serve very little and little pricey but hey! we had a wonderful and satisfying lunch. it's true what they say, it was cooked nicely and there was no after taste. the service was very good too, nice atmosphere. try and visit this place you will be amazed.

xtfrclqn
xtfrclqn

flavorful food, friendly people

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2006

I randomly ordered delivery from Busaba after finding their menu tucked into my screen door about two weeks ago & have fallen in love with this restaurant. So far we've tried prik king fried rice, seaweed rolls, pumpkin and tofu, satay, & dumplings & we have loved everything. The people are genuinely nice. A total pleasure.

Pros: super friendly staff, tasty food, intriguing menu
think4leafclover
think4leafclover

vegan friendly

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2006

as a vegan, i was very happy to see the menu, which has vegan & vegan-optional items clearly marked. banana rolls w/ coconut ice cream is divine. portions are small but this place caters to white americans with its fusion menu. parking is a nightmare but to be expected in this area--order delivery instead if you live within 3 miles to save yourself the hassle.

Pros: vegan-friendly, tasty
Cons: parking, small portions
eric
eric

Real Thai Vegetarian Style

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2006

Great that this all vegetarian Thai restaurant has opened in Los Angeles! Busaba has a Thai-only menu and many interesting choices (i.e. "seaweed rolls"). The staff there were very friendly and welcoming. The owner said it was her goal to create a restaurant that reflects true Thai cuisine versus a California fusion, separating her from the other 7-8 vegan Thai places around town. We did visit on their opening day, but even so, overall the food & feel of the place was good, casual, home-style Thai. Brings back the memories! Looking forward to seeing how this place progresses in the future.

Pros: Authentic vegetarian Thai, Nice staff, Relaxed atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Bulan Thai Vegetarian Kitchen - Melrose: