Serves meat, veg options available. Small buffet restaurant offering hot and cold dishes including soup, salads, tofu, fruit, and more. Aug 2013 reported limited veg food choices. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Asian, Chinese, Thai, Buffet, Take-out, Non-veg

Pamina
Pamina

Not too tasty...

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

I visited the Buffet Restaurant because it is located very close to the British Museum. Staff were very, very friendly and the price was also ok considering that you can have as many servings as you like. Unfortunately, though, I didn't like most of the food, it was far too oily and some of it seemed overcooked.
What I liked was the interior and the pleasant atmosphere.

Pros: Great location, Friendly service, Affordable buffet
Cons: Food not tasty for my liking
hokusai77
hokusai77

Inexpensive buffet

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2014

Nice restaurant, with a choice of vegan items.

Pros: inexpensive, nice place
Cons: now offers meat
Aya
Aya

They now serve meat!

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2012

When I went there several months ago, the place seemed to be quite empty (it was quite late in the evening) so I got a take-away box.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 25, 2012

I have now heard this place started serving meat, so I am not going there ever again.

Cons: Not vegan anymore, They serve meat

dr
dr

Good Food. Good Price.

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2012

As tourists in London, we were very happy to find this Buffet. (Where are the healthy food options in London?) The food was great and the price was very reasonable. The restaurant manager was very chatty and some might consider overly friendly, but if you don't want to talk to this nice friendly person, you don't have to. I can't wait to go back there again.

Lady Vegan
Lady Vegan

At least one other branch in Shepherds Bush . . .

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

The food is really nice, and everything is vegan, which for me, AS a vegan, is nice to know so I don't have to worry or pick and choose according to what I can or can't eat, and I love Chinese food. I didn't know there was any such thing as vegan lamb like they have in their curry, but it has a nice texture and I think it works well. They have lots of nice mini starter foods, and the coconut jelly is nice. The food is lovely, I could eat more of it than I did today.

So why didn't I?

Because I found the behaviour of the staff towards me so rude and upsetting.

The first night I went in to the New Oxford Street branch I was too late to eat in and was going to get a takeaway box. I was faced by staff who wouldn't even smile at me, told me everything they had to tell me with blank/unfriendly faces, told me how much the takeaway would cost, showed me where to get the box and as I went to fill it said in a way I found rude "you have to pay first". I walked out upset and as I got to the door they started to talk at me, and I have been back on subsequent occasions when, after I have filled my plate and as I am starting to relax, they have banged surfaces right behind me, several times, and once I looked in the mirror and saw the person doing it and laughing. When I confronted them they denied knowledge.

Today I went into the Shepherds Bush branch. Soon after I went in and started to speak, a female staff member went running off chattering in my speech rhythm. I get that all the time and always experience it as a psychological assault and a form of mugging, especially now, four months homeless. It is more invasive than anything I know. There was also a chocolate swiss roll and I got excited, because I liked it when I wasn't vegan and I asked if it was vegan, and they became very defensive and rude in the way they dealt with me over it.

I became so confused I didn't know what I wanted or what I was doing there, I felt the control was so great. I was so upset I couldn't hide it, and they just kept ignoring me until eventually I realised that letting a person sit there trying to eat their dinner that you expected them to pay for after upsetting them so much, and feel so upset and degraded that they couldn't hide it, and you as the staff do nothing to help or apologise, was actually abnormal behaviour by the staff.

Being vegan is great, except for the sellers I have to deal with. I know the rumours. I feel completely betrayed by the vegan community.

Pros: Chinese, Good food and choice, Cheap
Cons: Felt so controlled it confused me., Rude and unapologetic, Almost greasy spoon attitude - hurtful
Miggi
Miggi

Buffet V all-you-can-eat vegan chinese

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2011

We also went after visiting the British Museum (what a cultured lot we veggies are). It's easy to find.
There are quite a few places like this dotted around London serving very similar food but I felt this was one of the best ones we've tried.
We enjoyed the starters and dips, dumplings, hot and cold dishes. As well as mock-meat dishes there were some dishes of green beans, broccoli and mushrooms which were very tasty alongside the noodles and fake meat in blackbean sauce. The soup wasn't great but I'd recommend trying everything. There were some little extras like the bowls of ground peanuts to sprinkle on, which were good. There was certainly lots of choice - you can arrive back at your table with completely different looking platters of food.
As well as the usual fruit salad for dessert there was melon and pineapple, a sago pudding and there were jellies made with coconut too.
The decor was really nice and the staff were very friendly, bringing free top-ups of tea etc. It was bustling but never too crowded.
There is a fairly constant stream of patter from the owner which made us smile but could become irritating "Ah, you've not been here before, then you don't know you have a favourite table sir" and so on - and a tendency to talk to you for a just a little too long but he was very friendly and it gave the place a bit of character.
Seems odd to add a service charge to a buffet price but it's still a good price for a full, filling meal.

Pros: Affordable food in the west end, ALL VEGAN!, Good range
Cons: Adding service charge looks odd, Tad over-friendly!
TheWarblingCuckoo
TheWarblingCuckoo

Nice atmosphere and ok food

Posted on 11 / 04 / 2011

Visited Buffet V at lunchtime, the eat-as-much-as-you-like buffet is £6.49 (it says £5.90 on the menu but a "service charge" is added, although it's self service).

I liked the design and the general atmosphere - good turn over of people but not hectic, nice lamps and wooden decor.

The waiters and waitresses were nice, maybe slightly on the pushy side (despite there being several empty tables they asked me if I had finished twice before I actually emptied my plate...) but helpful and happy to help.

The food was ok - I wasn't expecting high cuisine and I love Chinese style all-you-can-eat places generally, I wasn't disappointed but I'll be specific just for the sake of information.
I really enjoyed the fried section, the spring rolls and tiny samosas were lovely. Potatoes were VERY salty but nicely cooked. A thing that looked like sesame prawn was actually just toasted bread, not unpleasant but a little surprising. The "prawn" crackers were very nice.

Tried a selection of the salads, the broccoli were good and do try the mushrooms, they were lovely! Also the noodle-like salad was nice.

The mock meat section looked great but I didn't really like it - the mock meat was at best tasteless and at worst not very nice. I don't mind mock meat in general, but these only seemed to mimic the look of meat but didn't taste like much - neither of meat nor anything else. Some of them had a better texture than others, but I wasn't too impressed overall. There was a thing that looked like mince that was quite nice and tasty.

The noodles were very plain, but had a good texture and tasted great with the "mince" and in general with some of the more flavoursome stuff.

There were also peanuts and raisins, I wasn't sure how to eat them but I love nuts so it was good.

Fake shrimps, look cool but don't have much taste of their own, you might want to try them with the sauce.

The soup was lovely, if a little salty, but a very nice complement to the meal.

There are virtually no desserts, only fruit and tapioca, a little sweet for me but quite nice.

Overall, well worth a visit if you're in Central London, nice atmosphere, nice people and honest food.

Pros: great location, cheap and tasty, good atmosphere
Cons: mock meats not great
djmoonlight
djmoonlight

Cheap and Tasty

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

Read about this place on HappyCow and thought it would be worth checking out.
It was very cheap only £5.49 for a buffet lunch, there was loads of choice, lots of veg and salads, as well as many soya based fake meat products. The only downfall was some of it wasn't labelled.

Pros: cheap, tasty
Cons: not all labelled, busy
estefinparis
estefinparis

Not a healthy option...

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2011

Buffet is located in New Oxford Street, a convenient spot for shoppers. The restaurant itself seems to attract quite a bit of attention from passers-by, although the moment you enter you are greeted by a very strong and unappealing smell of fried food (to make matters worse, they generously sprayed air freshener while we were eating!). The buffet consists mainly of fried food: spring rolls, mock meats, crispy seaweed... all covered in a coat of oil. The food is tasty and they have some interesting options, but it will probably make you feel heavy and it will certainly take a long while to digest. If you do eat here, try to eat small portions and stick to the few vegetable options available! On the positive side, Buffet is really cheap and you will have all-you-can-eat for the price of a starter at some other London vegan restaurants.

ejthiggs
ejthiggs

Good stuff

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2011

All-you-can-eat buffet. I took my omnivorous family here for a quick evening meal after visiting the British Museum. We arrived at about 6pm and we were almost alone! However, the food is really tasty and everything is presented very attractively. There are a range of starters, including soup, spring rolls, sesame toast, 'prawn' crackers, chips, crispy seaweed and fried peanuts. Main dishes are almost all vegan 'meat'-based, eg. black bean sauce with beef-style pieces. There are also several vegetable dishes, rices dishes, and noodle dishes. We each ate 3 or 4 plates of food! For dessert there are slices of fresh fruit and a fruit salad - not as impressive as the main course food.

Pros: Lots of variety, All you can eat, Very very cheap!!
Cons: Cash only, Dishes are difficult to identify, No alcohol served
JanaVegan
JanaVegan

always good

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

I've had dinner here a thousand times so far. The food is fresh and tasty, and the price unbeatable! You can choose from a wide ranch of raw and cooked dishes. Lot's of veggie stuff, mock meats, noddle, rice, and fruits. There is also a soup and some unhealthy but tasty fried things... :)

Pros: excellent food, fresh, awesome value
cadugdale
cadugdale

Happy vegan take out:)

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2011

For £3.50 I was let loose with a plastic box, which I happily filled with a fantastic selection of vegan goodies! I opted mainly the many tofu varieties, along with some rice and salads for my supper, as I'd eaten a hearty lunch. IT was fantastic to know that everything was vegan - I didn't need to ask if it was suitable for me!
Next time I'm in London, I plan to eat in the restaurant, too. Exellent value for money.

Pros: vegan, many gluten free dishes, reasonable price

Dear Owner and Manager of Buffet: