Small Mexican fast food restaurant with limited seating. Huge burritos. Tacos with your choice of tofurkey sausage, roasted potatoes or chipotle tofu. Has a vegan pizza. All items can be made vegan by substituting dairy with guacamole at no extra charge. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by fatguts
darb
darb

Ahhh the Memories

2 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2014

I have been going to Budgies since it opened. I used to salivate at the thought of their burritos, but sadly no more.

Realistically with the food that I have been getting from them in recently, I would hardly be motivated to cross the street if I was hungry.

Budgies used to be good, but not any more.

Pros: Veg Resturant
Cons: Inconsistent Food Quality, Hipsters Creating Lineups ...
djoe
djoe

Tasty Fast Food

4 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2013

If you are on the go and you just want to pick up a quick lunch, then Budgie Burrito is a great stop. They are quick and friendly and more then happy to make any order vegan.

And yes, as someone pointed out above, that they are hippy and bearded, but who cares, they make good burritos at a super reasonable price, what more do you want?

And for the record, I am picky and we order from BB quite regularly.

Pros: good food , good price , can phone ahead to order
Cons: parking is not awesome, but who cares
UnsexyVeganMale
UnsexyVeganMale

2 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2012

+ decent portions
+ accessible location

- I HATE it when stupid hipsters with greasy full beards or moustaches prepare my food
- mediocre flavours
- now my own home is far from immaculate, but if I was serving food, I'd at least have a clean-looking environment

kimward8
kimward8

Yummy

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

Good vegan burritos. The tortilla soup is also good. However, I don't know why they don't use daiya cheese for the vegan options (I suggested it a while ago but they still don't have it). So lately I've been going to Bandidas Tacqueria instead.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday February 16, 2010

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Meh

2 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2011

If you have functioning taste buds and you like good tasting food, Budgie's Burritos is not for you. I ate here for lunch this week and was unimpressed overall. I ordered their most ordered items by vegans, the Blair Stanley. It came with tofu, rice, beans, salsa, guacamole, and a roasted red pepper and chipotle sauce. First off, the rice was hard, the tofu was cubed flavorless mush, and the burrito was flavorless overall. I barely saw a hint of the guacamole or the salsa too. My bf disliked his meal as well (and he ordered something non-vegan) - he had the same complaints as I did, hard rice and flavorless overall. The place is also very hipster/grimy and the seating area is very dark - my bf mentioned that Canada must have lower standards as to the cleanliness of their restaurants, given our experiences in Vancouver, this very well may be true. 2 cows since the food was somewhat edible.

smania
smania

Good fast food

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

Close to bus stops, and open late. The menu is limited, but the food is good. The Henry and Poser were good (Poser was messy), and quick from ordering. Seating is limited. The wait-staff were nice.
Sort of dark. Better for take-out than dine-in.

Pros: good food, quick, good location
Cons: dark, limited seating, dirty silverware
Jessica-Chickpea
Jessica-Chickpea

Budgie's Burritos... Yes Please!

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2010

I am from Melbourne, Australia and lived in Vancouver for 12 months. Budgie's was definitely near the top of our list for a quick meal when in a rush and would not hurt the hip pocket. We frequented this place most weeks if not more than that! The nachos are great with veggie ground round, frioles or black beans and avocado as a free vegan option over the cheese/ sour cream. There are two sizes to choose from in the burritos. The Henry was always a favourite as was the Hendog which is a combination of two burritos on the menu... ask for this one specially though as it is not listed. Cheap sodas and organic beverages make this a great little dine-in or take-out Mexican eatery when in the Mount Pleasant area of Broadway in Vancouver.

Pros: Good Mexican, Very Cheap, Super Relaxed Staff
Cons: Lack Of Tables When Busy, No Vegan Cheese, No Vegan Sour Cream
Koemi
Koemi

Cheap with some Yum

3 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2010

They got a few things wrong with our order, but we quickly forgave them, as they made us the nachos we decided against getting...I'm pretty sure it was an accident on their part. The guy who took our order looked really high. The food was yummy though!

Pros: cheap, yummy, cool decor
Cons: high staff
Ketty
Ketty

fresh salsa!

4 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2009

Tasty, cheap tacos and burritos, with great salsas. In May 2009, 2 tacos for $5.50 Canadian. Friendly staff, very casual atmosphere.

Guest
Guest

yummmm

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2008

very delicious and cheap

Pros: friendly staff, good prices, tasty food
fatguts
fatguts

I'm so over it.

2 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2007

I have been a huge fan of this place and have sent many customers their way in addition to my own frequent visits but no more. I am being treated like I'm bothering the staff! Hey, when you're done dancing, would you mind making me a burrito? Sorry to interrupt your conversation, but I'd like to give you some money! The food is delicious. It can be inconsistent depending on the whim of the hipster making it but I can overlook that. But I have been there shortly after opening only to be told to come back later, I have been there before the posted closing time and turned away because they'd already shut down, and, most recently, I was there 15 minutes before closing and treated with outright disdain by the staff who were obviously trying to close early. What?! You close at 10! It's not like I'm rolling in at 4 in the morning demanding a specialty order! Love the food. Won't be going there anymore. I don't mind waiting for food and I appreciate character in a place but Budgies has grown simply intolerable.

Pros: great food, vegan options
Cons: staff attitude

Dear Owner and Manager of Budgie's Burritos: