Buddha's Vegetarian Foods

Very inexpensive, 2 people can eat for $15. Reported open to HappyCow, April 2012. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Buddhist, Chinese, Vegan

First Review by dkingdesigndotcom
iLOVEspaghetti
iLOVEspaghetti

Cheap and yummy

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

went with my sister and her husband while visiting Toronto, they are carnivores. We all loved the food (i had the best thai noodle soup i ever had). clean, friendly, and in a great location. Price cant be beat.

Pros: Good amounts, Yummy, Nice atmosphere
Cons: TV on the wall with marketing media
jssmith
jssmith

Highly Recommended

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

I've been going to Buddha's Vegetarian for over 10 years, and it is definitely one of my favourite Toronto vegetarian restaurants. The food is delicious, comes out fast and hot, and the price - you can't get better than the price. I agree with others - don't go here alone. Bring a friend and if you order more than 1 entree, be prepared to bring some home. I also love the no-frills attitude. It just works.

Pros: Excellent food, Reasonable price, Great atmosphere & staff
qwlqwl
qwlqwl

Great Place

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

small menu
small restaurant
food tastes great
very large portions for 8 to 12 dollars
they just added a satay beef item which i hope to try tonight

Pros: vegan, huge portions
krissimi
krissimi

great hot and sour soup and seitan

3 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

Some of the food hasn't always pleased my tastebuds here but they do make great seitan and hot and sour soup. Nothing fancy about the atmosphere

JK
JK

I love this place

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

This is still my favourite restaurant in Toronto after over 15 years!!!! They use very fresh ingredients and if you like huge meaty shitake mushrooms, look no further. I love the crispy spring spring rolls, imitation duck, soy rolls, and hot and sour soup... the cashew dish is also very nice or try the beancurd with mixed vegetables, like the duck, but loaded with veggies and Chinese delights like black moss and bamboo fungus. Bring a container for leftovers and eat all week!!!!

Pros: Huge Portions, Excellent Food , 100% Vegan
Cons: Atmosphere...., No Credit cards, No Bottled Water

vegified
vegified

Best hole in the wall ever

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

don't go here looking for charm. accept what it is. it's a hole in the wall. it's amazing. anyone who gives this place a bad review doesn't know what to order or is looking for something that this place is not. the people who run this place are friendly as long as you're not a prick. the fake duck is absolutely outstanding. the spring rolls are delicious. anyone who likes veggies should be able to appreciate that the veggies are always fresh. the veggie dish with cashews is really good. i no longer live in the area but i make a point to come back here every time i am in the neighborhood. i love this place beyond words. it's cheap. big portions. good food. go get some fake duck already!

iwilldeny
iwilldeny

quantity over quality

2 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

Well, they definitely have massive portions. When my boyfriend and I went I wasn't expecting such huge portions and thought it was weird when our server walked away halfway through our order. I guess they assumed we knew we'd be getting a huge casserole dish of food! So we ordered two dishes plus the large appetizer special. I can't say I really enjoyed any of it though. One of the things in the appetizer was okay, it was really the only thing that had a distinguishable flavour from everything else (it was gluten that had a sauce that was a bit sweet and acidic). It seemed like the sauce they used was just soy sauce, corn starch and water. Same sauce on both things we ordered.

I've heard that it's changed a lot in the past few years and it used to be amazing. I had heard a lot of great things so had been looking forward to it.

Pros: huge portions
Cons: huuuge portions, small, limited seating, not very good
oneoh1
oneoh1

Great food, Great Price. Great management

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2010

Well, the ambience isnt exactly 5 star, but its cozy, the service is friendly, the food is magnificant and very reasonable, and as an added nice bonus, it's very very vegan friendly. Also they have heaps of free buddhist literature. Great place. If you're in the neighbourhood, give it a try!

Pros: Good Price, Great food, friendly service
RockStar
RockStar

Great for those on a budget

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2010

I am a fan of Buddha's. This is the only place where I will order a mock meat - I love the duck here with the spicy sauce. I also enjoy the soy roll, a lot. The sweet and sour soup is a must if you are coming here for a meal to share. The rice and noodle dishes are good for the price, but not too impressive. You get a really great deal for the price - big portions, quick service even if the atmosphere is lacking somewhat.

Pros: Cheap, Quick service, Big portions
Cons: Atmosphere
dem
dem

Great value for your money

4 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2010

The portions here are huge and the prices are very inexpensive. If you are going for the first time, go easy on the ordering (one appetizer and main is more than you need) and be prepared to take home leftovers. The food is plain but reasonably tastey. The service is pretty fast. The washrooms and decor are not that great.

Pros: cheap, inexpensive
Cons: decor, washrooms
pfalvo
pfalvo

great veg deal

4 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2009

Looks like a hole in the wall. It's bigger inside. Friendly staff. Hearty, tasty food. Busy atmosphere - but cosy enough. Unbelievably inexpensive. Three of us (adults) got stuffed for $23.

Pros: cheap, good, friendly staff
Ken4057
Ken4057

The best deal in town

4 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2009

My gf and I go here with the express purpose of taking care of our next six meals. We order 4 or 5 dishes and take most of the food home having stuffed ourselves to the gills.

The atmosphere is also probably the worst in Toronto: low ceilings, harsh florescent lighting, not clean by any means. You aren't there to admire the decor.

Avoid the yam rolls at all costs. Most other items are safe. There's one dish which comes with approximately 2 kilograms of mock duck-ish tofu along with various veggies in a clear sauce (non-noodle). Ridiculous and ridiculously tasty. Sorry I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure you could describe it successfully to the waitstaff.

Pros: best value in the city
Cons: dirty and potentially depressing int.
nimbochen
nimbochen

In my opinion... 2 Cow's are to much!

2 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2009

In my opinion... dirty, smal and unapppetising! NoGo!

Cons: dirty, small, unappetising
IdeaOfOrder
IdeaOfOrder

Huge Portions / Okay Food

2 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2009

We definitely should have read the reviews about this place--the portions are HUGE. 3 - 4 people could easily share a dish.

The food was pretty lackluster--it was like every other generic chinese food place with a good mock meat selection. We got 3 different dishes (whoops!) and they all tasted about the same--just with slightly different mock meats. The veggies were pretty weak as well--though I'm generally not happy unless my meal has broccoli.

Pros: cheap, huge portions
Cons: boring, huge portions
Rosalita
Rosalita

Don't go alone....

3 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2009

I just went there for the first time and the portions really are HUGE! The staff is friendly and I kinda liked the busy atmosphere, but there was still some dirt on the bok choy in my meal- vegetable, rice, tofu and dirt?! not a mouth watering combination.
But I'm definetly gonna give it a secound chance, sometime in the future...

Pros: huge portions, cheap
girlwiththedog
girlwiththedog

Our go to

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2009

We go to Buddha's at least once a month. Most birhthdays we celebrate begin at Buddhas. Bring a few people, order a few dishes and the bill will likely be under 10 bucks per person including tip. There are two keys to a successful buddhas meal. First order appropriately. Portions are huge, one main dish will easily feed two people.
Second, order the right menu options. Some dishes are defintley better than others.

Best dishes
1) the duck-amazing. We get it every time we go
2) spring rolls-huge and amazing
3) #33-rice noodles-my favourite
4) #35-curry noodles-my partners favourite
5) cashew nut vegetable-vegetables, tofu and a generous portion of cashews
6) the sauces-the sweet and sour sauce and the chili sauce can't be beat.

Avoid:
1) yam rolls-very gross
2) wontons-very dry
3) The gluten plate-horrifying

Questionable: The hot and soup soup. This was a favourite for years but in the last couple months its been off more than 50% of the time.

All in all, Buddhas is a favourite and probably the vegetarian restaurant we frequent most often. Highly recommend it for a casual dinner with friends or a quick weekday lunch.

Pros: inexpensive, food quality
Cons: ambiance, the gluten plate
holyseitan
holyseitan

AMAZING value.

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2009

Buddha's is pretty amazing. The food is dirt cheap- even when I've been really poor I could justify eating out here. If you get Buddha's special with fried noodles ( under $7) it's enough to feed 2 hungry people and you'll probably even have left-overs! I've taken a bunch of people here over the years and they've always enjoyed it. I recommend the faux duck! My non-veg boyfriend is addicted to it. The only potential down-side is the complete lack of decor, it's a pretty austere place with white walls and harsh lighting. Nonetheless, food is amazing value, tasty and the servers/people who own it are pretty swell people too.

Pros: cheap, huge portions, faux duck!
Cons: food can be pretty greasy, ambience
Deano
Deano

Small place - HUGE portions

4 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2007

If I ate there every day, there would only be room for me in the entire restaurant. Each main course (about $8) is more than enough for two hungry people. It's basic food but the value for money is incredible.

Pros: Crazy cheap, Amazing value, Good wontons
Cons: Small dining area
dkingdesigndotcom
dkingdesigndotcom

Always Bring Containers or Order Just Half Portion

4 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2007

Mountains of Foods for 8 CND (excluding gratuity).
Both of us and our food container were totally full. Very nice tea (no tea bags- tea bags= bad for your health). We found it refreshing that none of the veg places we've been so far (in Toronto) uses tea bags. Most of them, including this place uses styrofoam for take outs. So, do bring your own reusables whenever possible, :)!

Pros: SUPER HUGE PORTIONS!, A MUST VISIT for Budget Travellers!!! , Will Be Back With Our Friends, :)!
Cons: Don't like their chili sauce (condiment), Very TINY SPACE, so do tip generously,:P, !!!

Dear Owner and Manager of Buddha's Vegetarian Foods: