Serves meat, veg options available. Thai food restaurant. All sauces and curries are vegan suitable. Has tofu and mock chicken, mock fish, and mock shrimp. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
301 10th Ave N (N Ocean Blvd)
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
904-712-4444

Open Mon-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 12-10pm, closed Wed.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by djmichael
calamaestra
calamaestra

excellent!

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

I enjoyed the tom yum soup and they made the massamun curry without beef and added tofu. It's some of the best curry I've ever had. The staff was friendly. I'm visiting from out of town and can't promise I'll be back soon, but I will return to this restaurant when I return to Jacksonville.

ChristaElizabeth
ChristaElizabeth

Great For Vegans

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

I am always excited to go here! What I usually order is:
lunch special (usually around 11 dollars and you get a nice amount of food)-
appetizer- summer rolls (no meat)
soup of the day is usually the veggie soup which is good
salad that comes with it
and my entree is the drunken man noodles with NO egg and soy chicken which is absolutely amazing. I recommend this place to all vegans/vegetarians
I would give this 5 stars if I could!!

Pros: vegan, vegatarian, low cost
Cons: slightly under staffed
dct
dct

Wish there were more like it!

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2013

I found this gem on Happy Cow (thank you!) while searching for friendly eateries near Ponte Vedra FL. I took some friends who are non-vegan and a little conservative on the food front, so it was a little risky. Thankfully the food wowed ALL of us, especially me. Great menu full of choices and so customizable a vegan feels like a king in this place. Great spices, great preparation, really friendly and caring waitstaff. One big downer was the long wait, and there also was an issue with the food timing. Some guests recieved their soup, some didn't. Some had entrees, some were left waiting. But in their defense, the place was PACKED and it hit them fast. We walked in and groups of people started streaming in at the same time. I think they did the best they could, and did comp our soup to try to make it up to us. I just wish more places like this existed, especially in our home town. Highly recommend this place!!

Pros: Many Choices, Great Taste
Cons: Service a little slow

djmichael
djmichael

Formerly Buddha's Belly: Great service and food

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

It was my good fortune that the place I'd planned to go was closed on Mondays. Thanks to Happy Cow, I found instead Buddha's Thai Bistro, where I received perhaps the best service I've ever gotten at a restaurant. If money were no object, I would have left a 100% tip for my waitress. And the food was great, too.

Name change: Apparently another business by the name of Buddha's Belly brought legal action against this establishment, forcing it to change its name to Buddha Thai Bistro. However, as of August, 2012, the shopping center sign, the building sign, and the menu all still say "Buddha's Belly."

Thanks to the listing on Happy Cow, I knew that this restaurant had mock meats and was vegan friendly. You have to know to ask, because the menu does not make that clear.

I was surprised that this Thai restaurant had a mostly American wait staff. Most of the diners in the restaurant were American, too. But the owners and cooks are Thai--it is family owned.

Aside from tofu, one can get dishes with mock fish, shrimp, or chicken. One of the several questions I asked of my waitress was the source of the mock meats. If I recall correctly, it is a place called VegeUSA, out of CA. Though I'm not big on mock meats, the fake chicken I had in my dish was quite good.

Each time I asked a question of my waitress, she went back to the kitchen and came back immediately with an answer. I found that to be an amazing level of service.

The prices are a bit higher than I'm used to seeing in Asian restaurants, but this place is a cut above the rest, including its upscale ambiance. I got a kick out of seeing "Jeopardy" airing on the TV above the bar.

I ordered a dish from the Curry section of the menu called "Pra Ram (Amazing)," which is a "rich peanut curry sauce over spinach and steamed broccoli on a sizzling hot plate." I chose mock chicken, a generous portion of which came atop the vegetables. A large amount of sauce came in a gravy boat, so that I could pour it myself. Though not listed on the menu, carrots were a part of the dish.

For dessert, I wanted to try the vegan taro custard, but it was out of stock. So instead I ordered mango sticky rice. It was great, with perfectly ripe mango atop purple sticky rice, sprinkled with black and white sesame seeds and presented on a plate complete with a drizzle of kiwi dipping sauce.

Don't miss this place if you get the chance.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 18, 2012

Pros: Excellent service, Great food, Nice ambiance
Cons: Higher-than-average prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Buddha's Thai Bistro: