Kosher Chinese vegetarian restaurant with another location in Flushing. Items that have egg are marked on the menu, otherwise food is vegan. Has vegan dim sum and a wide range of faux meat dishes. There are several large tables for families and parties, as well as small tables for two. Previously located on Main St in Flushing. Kitchen closes at 9:30pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Cantonese, Asian, Kosher, Take-out
5 Mott St (Chatham Square, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10013

Jenna935
Jenna935

fabulous vegan meal!

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2014

I tried this restaurant on the recommendation of an employee of the Chinese American Museum. My family and I were not disappointed. The food was awesome and plentiful. The service staff was friendly, albeit service is not their strength. I have added this restaurant to my favorites and will definitely be back when I return to NYC.

Saramste
Saramste

Good Food!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

We did our best to go to several different restaurants during our recent visit to NYC (as there are so many delicious options), but we found ourselves back here a couple of times, as we really enjoy the food! We were not extremely impressed with the service, as some of the servers were dismissive and a bit temperamental. The individual that appeared to be the manager was extremely friendly, but our server left our table to help other customers (and did not return) when we asked too many questions about the menu. We tried a few of the starters, but they seemed to be a bit hit or miss. The Spring Rolls were extremely greasy, the ribs with black bean sauce tasted nothing like a vegan rib, but rather like small balls of tough soy protein in a fairly tasteless sauce. We also did not enjoy the seaweed crab meat roll, which again, tasted nothing like vegan crab meat. On a positive note, we really enjoyed the Cruller Roll, which was a fried bean curd, wrapped in a sticky rice layer similar to mochi (but not sweet). We also really loved the Barbeque meat fried rice, which they described as being very similar to Pork Fried rice (although I've never had Pork fried rice, so I can't verify that). Also tried to Barbeque meat with cabbage, but we found the Barbeque meat fried rice much more enjoyable. Overall, pretty good food!

Pros: Good Food, Reasonable Prices; Great Lunch Specials
Cons: Poor Services
slo0go
slo0go

Great!

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

I have been coming here for years. It's pretty close to the courthouses in downtown Manhattan, further away from the busiest areas of Chinatown. They have a great lunch menu. The lamb lunch special is my favorite. It comes with soup (wonton or hot and sour), and an entree and choice of white or brown rice. This place also has a great dim sum menu between 12-4p (I believe). It's more authentic Chinese food, not the Americanized crap. I recommend any of the rice rolls, the fried eggplant with veg meat, the fake roast pork buns, the bbq veg meat appetizer, the shumai, the lettuce song appetizer, the taro "seafood" bowl, etc etc etc!

The food is very heavy and sometimes pretty fried.

The only place that I think has better fake roast pork buns is the Vegetarian Dim Sum House, which is dim sum all day everyday, located on Pell Street a block or so away from Buddha Bodai. Unlike Vegetariann Dim Sum House, though, Buddha Bodai is not cash only.

Buddha Bodai has a sister restaurant in Flushing, Queens with a very similar menu.

Pros: Great food!, Moderately priced!, Dim sum/lunch special!
Cons: Takes credit card

Babette
Babette

Good Lunch Deals

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2014

I like to go to Buddha Bodai for lunch since you can eat very well for a few dollars.

I recommend :
-wonton and hot n sour soup
-General Tso Veg Chicken

I don't recommend :
Veg Chicken in Black Pepper Sauce

Pros: Good Value
Cons: Atmosphere could be better, Staff not really friendly
Veganstrength
Veganstrength

amazing vegan dim sum / Chinese food

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

Best in the city. Try the veg pork buns, Chinese broccoli, general tsos, "beechi" mushroom rice roll, hong king noodles...it's all great! Much cheaper during the week for lunch. Gets crowded on weekends after noon

baruchadam
baruchadam

Best Veg Restaurant in NYC

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2014

Stunning vege restaurant. Don't miss this gem.

Pros: friendly , variety, satisfying
Cons: Parking
SethV
SethV
  • non-vegetarian

Excellent and Inexpensive

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2013

I eat here often when I am in NYC. Kosher and vegan are a great combination. The lunch menu fed us both for about $15! Sweet & Sour soup was excellent and the General Tzou was excellent. Dinners are also great. I have yet to be disappointed. All of my companions have been equally pleased.

Pros: Tasty, Inexpensive, Unique
GPreis
GPreis

Great Menu

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

I go here when I can. Some of the dishes are really very delicious. Try the lamb stew, General Tso, or the BBQ rice. Never had anything bad here. It's a large place, sometimes very crowded which tells you something, doesn't it? Prices are good. And it's kosher too!
Updated from previous review on Friday June 28, 2013

Pros: Huge menu, Large portions, Kosher
Cons: A little far from the subway
Winterhunt
Winterhunt

ugh

Posted on 03 / 20 / 2013

Had high hopes due to reviews and was in southern Chinatown so decided to try it. If you like grease and rude service then this is your place if not walk the 5 blocks or so north and go to Wild Ginger and eat well in a nice space with friendly service. This was pretty awful
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 20, 2013

Pros: umm...
Cons: greasy, rude
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Good Food. Mostly vegan

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

My wife and I tried this place last night. It's a typical decor for a Chinatown restaurant, nothing fancy. They have a large menu with pictures and non vegan items are clearly marked. The service was good, the food was good, and the prices seemed fair.

steveveg
steveveg

My favorite Chinese vegetarian restaurant

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2012

This is my favorite Chinese vegetarian restaurant. I go there frequently. The food is always great. The space is comfortable. There are so many choices, it is hard to choose what to order! Have never been disappointed.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
cheroyma
cheroyma

Dim Yum!

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

Went for lunch, only 6.95 for a delicious General Tso mock chicken. It was sweet and spicy! My friend had veggie dim sum that was yum! I can't wait to go back!

Pros: low price, excellent food, good service
vegified
vegified

best veg-chinese place in ny!

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

i love this place! the faux-meats are really good. the pineapple fried rice comes in a pineapple and is absolutely delicious! the cheese cake is insanely good. the people are nice. it's a veggie oasis in china town!

Deer Fields
Deer Fields

Great restaurant

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2011

We love Buddha Bodai. IT is my dad's favorite restaurant to eat vegan. So twice a year, we go to NYC to visit him and take him there almost every day that we are there! We get only the vegan items on the lunch menu. For dad, my husband and I we order 4-5 lunch dishes and usually end up eating it all! Sometimes a dish will make it to his place! The waiters all know us and for dad's birthday, they give him dessert with a candle. WE love the food. Sometimes we go to the one in Queens where the dragon lady is! The manager there who we call the dragon lady, is a b...but the food is great!

Pros: great food, friendly staff except 1 who looks sad
Cons: wish it were wherever we go
Rchltrrs
Rchltrrs

Yummy :)

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2011

There's a wide variety of foods that taste great. It's more pricey than your normal casual chinese restaurants but the portions are generous. while There are done healthy options, a lot of this is greasy veg-friendly fast food. If you're trying to county your calories, order carefully.

Pros: Delicious, Generous portions, Lot's of variety
Cons: Can be greasy
Vegan Goddess
Vegan Goddess

so so

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2010

Food is good but service is BAD. They're rude, bring appetizers after entrees, and lied about ingredients. MUCH better to go to Happy Buddha about 1-2 miles away. But if you want to risk the downsides here, the food is good.

veggiegoth
veggiegoth

quite tasty!

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2010

went here with a big group so we ordered a bunch of different things. i ordered the orange "chicken" which was delicious. a few other things i tried were very good as well. there was only 1 or 2 dishes that were not too good.

Fallopia Tuba
Fallopia Tuba

My default Chinese restaurant

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2009

Buddha Bodai has become my default Chinese restaurant; with the unfortunate closing of Vegetarian's Paradise a couple of blocks away, I had to scramble to find another Chinese in Chinatown I liked as well. Buddha Bodai, with its first location in Flushing, opened this location around the time Vegetarian's Paradise closed.

This place serves huge portions of fresh, healthy food. Not everything on the menu is vegan; it's noted on the menu which dishes contain egg. One very important point is that they make all their mock meats on premises and are kosher; they display the Kashruth certification on the wall.

They also display a certificate in which the owner, Kent Zhang, is named an official "Shark Finatic." He's proud of this; one of the specialties of the house is vegan shark fin soup. At a time in which many species of shark are becoming endangered precisely because they've been overfished for their fins, more places should serve vegan shark fin soup.

I've been eating my way down the menu, and have enjoyed most of the dishes. One of my particular favorites is the sauteed watercress with "foo yee" (fermented bean curd) sauce. I also like the taro dishes, such as the taro fish--which is taro molded into a fish shape. They also offer desserts, including vegan cheesecake and ice cream. After the meal, you get a plate of orange slices and a fortune cookie; the cookie, of course, isn't vegan, but I always read my fortune anyway.

Pros: excellent quality, fresh
thinkingfield
thinkingfield

Best food, (almost) worst service

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

Bottom line, this is the BEST veg chinese food you can get. I have been to China 3 times, this is the only place that comes close to authentic. The chef is a genious. However, the service is pretty bad. I have been going here for over 10 years and they're still not very nice. Some of the staff are okay but some are nasty. But the food is SO good. Dim sum for lunch is cheap and delicious.

Pros: Taste
Cons: Service
markc7
markc7

Overwhelming number of choices, great mock meats

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2009

Great place for vegan dim sum. The menu contains far more choices on the menu than the nearby and apparently more popular "Vegetarian Dim Sum House". Tasty mock meat versions of an incredible number of dishes, including shark fin soup and jellyfish, as well as classics like duck and shrimp. Reasonable prices. Highly recommended.

Pros: Selection, Price, Authenticity
smk26
smk26

so creative, so yummy, so cheap!

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2009

my family and I have been going here for years.
the food is delicious. It approximated the taste and texture of meat, which might be nice for some people.
the service can be a bit rude, but on the whole, the price is right.

Ashleigh
Ashleigh

My sister and I got food poisoning.

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2008

I ordered the mock duck, my sister had the orange beef. Naturally we swapped dishes, and neither of us were satisfied with either one. They were both dripping with grease, overly salty, and barely palatable. A few hours later we were getting ready for bed and the food poisoning kicked in, we were both up all night with horrible stomach cramps and other unpleasant symptoms. Completely not worth it.

Cons: food poisoning
Guest
Guest

AMAZING!

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2008

I ordered sweet and sour veg "chicken". My mom (who isn't even vegetarian) ordered the same thing and LOVED it! Most of their food is vegan

and they have vegan desserts (soy ice cream and "cheesecake", both of which were delicious)

I highly recommend it if you're in Chinatown!

Pros: Huge portions, Good prices, Great food/desserts
condekedar
condekedar

Tasty, simple, filling

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2007

Buddha Bodai has a huge menu with many innovative vegan dishes and some traditional Chinese dishes using mockmeats. I found their garlic-pepper chicken to be filling and tasty, without being oily or heavy. Their walnut shrimp was good, but a bit too sweet for me. Their cheesecake was simple, but great tasting, but their ice cream was too icy, dry and flavorless. On a whole, this is a great restaurant, though.

Pros: Selection, Prices, Taste
Cons: Ice cream
A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.

The Best Vege food in the world!

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2006

Incredible vegetarian Cuisine, AND KOSHER TOO! I have fooled countless meat eaters with the "vege-pork". The tastes are explosive and unique and they take your taste buds to another world. The service is friendly and the portions are huge. Their 4 dollar lunch special is the best bargain in NEW YORK! Try the vege lamb casserole, the vege pork, orange chicken or anything else 'cause EVERYTHING IS GOOD!!

Pros: awesome, delicious food, affodable

Dear Owner and Manager of Buddha Bodai: