Budatip - Health Station

Small open-air storefront managed for many years by dedicated female buddhist monks. Public temple upstairs. Located opposite Mooks Residence just after Soi 7/1 off Chaloem Phrakiat. Go north on 3rd past Central Rd,'vegetarian food' sign hangs left-side, past right-side Carrefour turnoff. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Thai
223/4, Moo 9, Chaloem Phrakiat (3rd Rd)
Pattaya, Thailand 20150
Closed now

Mon-Sat 10:00am-6:00pm

First Review by mredz
matimatik
matimatik

Not bad sometimes and seems vegan (not sure)

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2014

I tried two different soups there (I recommend the one on the first picture, with vegetables, seaweed, tofu and not spicy at all; another one was fake chicken soup and those fake balls are no good). Will update after trying something else next time (it's a bit complicated as not everything in the menu is translated to English or has pictures, all you can do is to point and ask... and pray a bit, yes).

Everything in the menu is 50 baht, although they might have something else for different prices. They have rice for just 10 baht (I always order it), drinks are cheap too (10 baht for Coke/Sprite if I remember correctly) – none of them is in the menu, so just ask.

Sizes are good, at least soups.

While I'm not completely sure, it seems pretty much vegan to me (1. they have permament "เจ"/Jay and "100% 齋" signs everywhere and as far as I know both mean the closest local thing to "vegan food", sort of religious lent; 2. I didn't see anything even remotely like dairy/eggs in the menu or in my plate, although I haven't tried everything yet; 3. staff confirmed it, assuming that we understood each other). But it needs further inquiring.

Another reviewer told an awful story about real pork, but the lady who served me confirmed that all the pork/chicken/fish/whatever are fakes (although they are pretty disgusting anyway). Maybe something was changed since then.

Definitely better then another vegan place in Pattaya happycow and I are aware of.

Pros: Cheap, Mostly tasty, Might be vegan
Cons: Staff is really not always attentive, Not all menu is in English/with pictures, A lot of disgusting fake meat/fish stuff
Kelly Kelly
Kelly Kelly

Point and Pray

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2014

Thanks to the people who posted reviews I decided to try out Budatip as it is not too far from where I am staying.

I was sold on going there when I saw the photo someone posted of a plate of tempura. (one of my favorites)

To find it, just across the street is MOOK that has a big sign on its roof and on street side > good landmark.

When I arrived, no staff were around to greet me. All of them were in the back. So I went and stood by the hall to the back waiting for someone to notice me. When someone did come out they just went right on past me. I had to call out to ask for a menu.

Turns out they only have one menu for the whole restaurant so I had to wait until another table was finished with it.

When I got the menu I found that only some of the listings had a sparse English description that in most cases did not really describe much. It did have some photos but only for a fraction of the items. Sadly I saw no tempura photos on the menu, the main reason for my coming. So I just did a point and pray at a couple of photos that were there.

One dish came back that looked like the photo. The other was completely different than the photo (I guess I did not pray hard enough:-))

The prices are small 50 Baht ($1.60 USA) per dish but so are the servings small.

What I was given came with rice (no rice in the photo). It was white rice with a bit of whole grain red rice added in. I saw no options for brown rice but perhaps I would have if I knew Thai.

Fortunately the spice level not quite over the very peak of my tolerance so I could manage it.

Seating is on wooden benches with zero padding.

Once I did order, the food was not long in coming. No one checked in to see if the food was all right or not. Fortunately it was quite tasty!

Can't say that I really know how many Happy Cows to rate this place. I guess it depends on what an individual is looking for.

If your main goal is tasty food and you are a gambler that does not care what dish ends up in front of you, come on down to Budatip - Health Station. You will enjoy it. If not, bring along a Thai friend to help you get what you are looking for.

Pros: Good food, Reasonable price
Cons: Unclear menu unless Thai speaking, Staff not attentive
mortem1
mortem1

Good place

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2014

2013
We ate here every day with my husband in July 2013. The staff was very friendly, we came every time with joy. The food was always delicious (almost all the dishes on the menu for 50 baht). Several times we came, when the cafe was already closed, but the chef always took us and cooked for us takeaway. When we had to leave, we agreed that she will cook us Breakfast and food in the airport. We were very grateful and happy to have remembered this café.
2014
Recently we came to this cafe again, I was frightened by the feedback from KoVeg. I saw the new staff, but the food was vegetarian. The café has racks with vegan products. New chef almost don't speak English, so one of the visitors told us that the previous chef had gone to the temple. Ordered the food was delicious, although it was not as in 2013. I recommend this place.

Pros: Many vegan dishes, Cheap and clean
Cons: Some tasty dishes from menu is not.., ..available

Bob Sultan
Bob Sultan

good inexpensive basic vegie restaurant

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2014

As indicated by a previous review, this place is no longer operated by Buddhist nuns. However, the proprietor is a vegetarian and a Buddhist and I saw only vegie food served. Proprietor speaks only a little English. I found that dishes did not always resemble the pictures but all were tasty. Lots of fresh basil, excellent white-red mixed rice. Very clean. Most entrees 50 baht ($1.65).

Pros: good vegie food, inexpensive , English and picture menu
Cons: little English spoken
KoVeg
KoVeg

Used to be good

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

I have been there few times and used to have delicious veg Thai food. The chef (lovely Thai lady) cooked aroi aroi veg food every time and we used to chat while I enjoy the meals.

I don't know what happened, a couple weeks ago when I went there, I saw new staff and I didn't see the chef anymore. The new staff recommended me to have red pork over rice ( even though this is a veg restaurant, you can still order with traditional dishes' name) so I ordered it.
Guess what, it was REAL PORK, not fake meat! I was shocked and I couldn't believe this happened in a vegetarian restaurant! It seems like this place has changed to a "Veg friendly" so they can meek more income.
I have not gone back there since then...

Pros: (Used to be) delicious veg Thai meal , (Used to be) friendly staff, Clean
Cons: Served me with real meat, New staff who are hard to communicate with
Zambezikid
Zambezikid

Pretty average food

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

Went here for a change and cos I couldn't find one of the other places listed.

The food is pretty average, to be kind.

Green curry had way too much basil and cream and not enough chilli, noodles looked like they were out of a super noodle packet.

And the menu is written in Thai with English translations that a 3 year old could have done a better job on. If you can't read Thai, it will make understanding the menu quite difficult.

Pros: Fairly cheap, Food cooked from fresh
Cons: Average food, Location is bad for main tourist areas, Unfriendly menu
anjobaba
anjobaba
  • fruitarian

Ok

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

Thanks to the map I foud easily the place.
I had some "chiken with Kana" , kana is a local vegetable.with rice .
the portion was small but so the price. all 45 baht.
the lady "almost" nun (as she told me), was speaking good english.
they try to convert me or introduce me to taoism that they follow as spiritual/live path.

nice place!!!

Pros: they speak english
Cons: not organic
mredz
mredz

Excelent Food

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2011

This restaurant has very healthy and wholesome food in addition to great traditional Thai dishes. The Nuns running it are exceptionally friendly and more than happy to speak English and assist you with any special needs. If you are struggling to communicate then ask for Noom she has excellent English and is very helpful. I highly recommend a visit to this restaurant if you are visiting Pattaya.

Dear Owner and Manager of Budatip - Health Station: