Tokyo vegan food restaurant offering a small selection of food, and desserts without sugar. Vegan except for honey for drinks occasionally. Has an English menu. No smoking prohibited. Directions: located in Harajuku, in proximity to the Harajuku JR station, 1/2 block from Omotesando subway exit onto Jingu-dori, Loiuis Vuitton shop is on the corner. Exit from Omote Sando Station and go towards Harajuku station, walking on the left side of road, turn down the first alley on your left, follow the signs from there. OR use the Ginza line, exit at Omote-Sando station, use exit A1, walk a few meters down the street and turn immediately left into the small alley. Cafe is further down on the right. Address 東京都渋谷区神宮前5-1-17. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Macrobiotic, Japanese, Juice bar, Take-out

Ricardo
Ricardo

Re-opened again

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2014

The restaurant has been reopened on September 5th. after being renewed. The menu does not seem to have changed much, though.

Jishinseiren
Jishinseiren

Good food/atmosphere

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

This is one of my go-to places. That is surprising, given that it is in Omotesando, one of the best areas for vegan food. I love the Mushi Yasai dish, and the drinks.

Pros: Wide selection, Nice atmoshpere
poopixie
poopixie

very high quality, good big portions

5 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

Really liked this place, ate here 3 times for dinner. Some of the staff speak good english and you are given an english menu which has a lot of nice options. I was impressed by the variety of things and quality. Always busy, in fact we had to wait one of the times we went. Through the back of neal's yard remedies so (maybe) this is why it seems to be full of chic women. Very wholesome food and nice desserts.

nanamagari
nanamagari

Great Place For Vegans In Tokyo

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

Come here once in a while for dinner. Great vegan restaurant. Had their steamed veggies (steamed in a bamboo pot) dinner set and a green drink the other night. Excellent.

Had great weather and sat outside. Very nice environment.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 19, 2014

Pros: Great Food, Excellent Location, Nice Environment
tobymcmahon
tobymcmahon

Beautiful Little Cafe In Harajuku

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

This cafe is a slice of heaven in the hussle and bussle of harajuku.

The store is part of a multi story healthy living complex. The cafe, on the bottom floor, had inside and outside seating and offers both set meals and an al la carte menu.

The food was a great simple japanese vegan fare but the desserts are amazing. All in all the meals were reasonably cheap and filled us up. The staff were exceptional.

To find this place from the main street end you may have to go through a cosmetics store (but dont worry - its there!).

Pros: Location, Atmosphere, Food
Cons: Small Seating Numbers
cinchoua
cinchoua

Wonderful Food

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

Taste, freshness, presentation, service - all were wonderful. If we ever find ourselves in Tokyo again we would definitely visit this little veggie oasis. A quiet space amongst the hustle and bustle.

Note: the cafe is in the same space as the Neal's Yard store, at the back. It's not quite obvious when you arrive and we were a little confused until the sales woman noticed us from inside and ushered us in the right direction.

Smaik
Smaik

Cute little cafe

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

Very friendly staff and good atmosphere! The food was always good and I loved to go there even just for a small tea and to relax :)

Pros: Relaxing atmosphere, good food , very friendly staff
Shauna333
Shauna333

Delicious and Friendly

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2013

I first went here in 2010, buying a bento from the Deli to take on a daytrip to Disneyland. I wasn't overly impressed, but now that I have eaten in the restaurant I change my opinion!

I ate here twice on a recent trip to Japan in March 2013. I booked both times, but there were free tables on both occasions, so probably not necessary. It is really easy to find. I came from Harajuku JR station and walked along the right hand side of Omotesando Street, and when you pass kiddyland, you're half way there. It's just past a church and then you turn right to Neal's Yard store, and walk through to Brown Rice Cafe.

The staff were really friendly, although they didn't speak much English, there was an English menu available. I ordered the daily set menu, which was rice (brown!), steamed vegetables and tofu with a sweet miso sauce dressing, hijiki seaweed, miso and a selection of vegetables with pickle, mashed and covered in different sauces. It was nice, but I wasn't blown away and found the sauce a bit too sweet.

The next time I came, I had the burger set, and that was absolutely delicious! It came in a bun with vegetables, pickled cauliflower, chips and salad. I loved it, and they made their won bread, which was light and not too much of it. I also had the amazing amazake tart - fermented rice, cranberries and pecan nuts - I loved it! You could get these to go also, for sale at the counter, and I got a couple along with yummy chocolate heart biscuits (which they told me had butter, so they're obviously really clear on vegan/vegetarian distinction). I also had a drink that was a combination of iced tea and mandarin juice, which was delicious.

The place is in a great location, and the service is pretty quick and friendly. The clientele is young professionals and groups of girlfriends out shopping in the area with their designer bags.

I really loved my second meal and will definitely go back next time I'm in Tokyo!

Pros: Easy to find, Delicious burger, Takeout snacks available
Cons: Expensive
BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Nice restaurant in cosy atmosphere

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

The restaurant is actually really easy to find with a nice and central location near Harajuku.
The place is really cosy and you can even eat outside in the little terrace.
You have the choice between 4 lunch menus including drinks (price is reasonable).
They also serve sake.
Staff was really friendly but they only spoke a little English. Menu is in English and also has some pictures of the dishes.

Pros: Location, Choice of menus
LucidDreams
LucidDreams

Tasty

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

Cozy little restaurant a little hidden. Food tastes really nice. We ordered some kind of dinner set with lots of small dishes. A desert was also included in the set which we didn't know so we ordered parfait and ended up getting two deserts :)

Pros: delicious food
bebenus
bebenus

Healthy lunch in peaceful setting!

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

Recently went for lunch here with my 17 month old daughter and we thoroughly enjoyed the peaceful cafe after busy day in Omotesando. Food choice is small but healthy and no sugar deserts make it even more appealing without the guilt of extra calories. I had lunch set that included bento box of tofu and vegetable choices, miso soup, pickles, brown rice and a drink (opted for iced tea).

For detailed review and photos check out http://www.bebenus.com/brown-rice-cafe-vegetarian-heaven-in-tokyo/

sglcklch
sglcklch

Fantastic lunch place

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

Came here for lunch on a Saturday with my partner. The place was quite small; we arrived just a little past noon time when they opened and all the indoor seats were already taken. Not wanting to wait, we took the patio seats even when it was 30 degrees out. No fan. Would be nice if they would put one or two out there. I suggest that you come right when they open or an hour or two later until the lunch crowds die down.

That aside, this cafe was a gem. Located in the heart of the Omotesando area, it made for a perfect lunch spot in between all that shopping. We ordered two different sets, both of which came with miso soup, a drink, brown rice and a dessert. The food was cutely presented, simple yet packed a lot of flavors. We especially liked the lunch box filled with different tidbits. The gomashio was the freshest I'd ever had in Japan and made a heavenly complement to the brown rice.

The setting was clean and bright. Atmosphere was lovely and relaxing. Staff spoke little English but, as usual for Japan, was very kind and forthcoming. I found the portions perfect, just enough to make us feel pleasantly satiated without getting all stuffed. It was slightly pricey but well worth it. Do plan a lunch here while in the area!

Pros: excellent food, location
Cons: no fan on patio
pa5
pa5

Great spot!

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2012

A great cafe for lunch, since as noted the portions are not always huge. The cafe is very cute/trendy looking. I had a tofu burger with wasabi on it, which was absolutely delicious. Also had the tofu tart for lunch, which was also great. There was a short wait, but I enjoyed browsing the attached food store, where the staff was very helpful in telling me what particular foods/oils were in English.

Third Eye
Third Eye

Great place!

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

We ate here last year and loved it, food was delicious and healthy, totally recommend it also had yum options at the little store attached to the restaurant :)

Pros: Tasty, Healthy, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Can get busy
veganmiss
veganmiss

Great Place

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

This place was my all time life saver in Tokyo. It was close enough to walk and they had a take out counter, so I could eat something that I knew was vegan. Brown Rice Cafe had a small cafe as the name implies as well as the take out counter which also had organic, natural products for sale. From my recollection, the food was very good. They have an English menu too.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/11/vegan-tokyo.html

RuzhaTodorova
RuzhaTodorova

Good food, but not entirely vegan

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2011

After reading all the mixed reviews, I was a little apprehensive about going to the Brown Rice Cafe, but decided to check it out anyway. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of dishes, and was happy to try authentic tasting vegan Japanese dishes. We had the bean and vegetable curry, the fried tempeh and vegetables, and the rice and miso meal. The portions were actually quite good, and the food tasted great.
I was a little disappointed to discover that not all desserts were vegan - a lot of them had skim milk and eggs. The same goes for the shop by the cafe. I was lucky to have a Japanese companion who could read all the ingredients for me.

Pros: Good variety of dishes, Authentic Japanese flavors
Cons: Not entirely vegan
elizabeth.harmon
elizabeth.harmon

Good Cafe

3 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

If you are spending a leisurely afternoon in the Omote-Sando area this is a good choice. There is usually a wait and you will need to walk up to the counter and put your name on the list. There are areas to sit while you are waiting for a table. There is an outdoor and indoor seating area. There are menu sets, entrees, drinks, desserts and a separate bakery with items for sale. The wait to be seated can take 30 minutes on a busy afternoon, and then it takes a while for the food. I ordered a iced chai latte and the tofu burger and the portions were small but I thought both were delicious. I brought my parents there, and it wasn't really the vibe for them. They also burn incense and for some people this might be off putting smell with their food.

Pros: friendly, cost, relaxed
Cons: wait, incense smell, portions
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Okay food, small portions

3 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2011

Set at the back of a Neals Yard shop, Brown Rice's very friendly staff served up okay fare in exceedingly small portions. The burger was, literally two bites big. Best thing was the box of delights containing pickles and vegetables was the best thing we ordered. The bill was frightening, a lot bigger than the portions!

Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Expensive, Small portions
jacqui
jacqui

Average and expensive

3 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2010

Reasonably easy to find, it was very busy - had to put name down on list at front of restaurant in order to get a space and waited for about 40 mins on a Sunday lunchtime. Menu was in Japanese and we both had the 2000 yen set lunch. Went with Japanese friend - I think we would not have ventured in otherwise as it did not seem very accessible to tourists. The portions were small and for my western palate was the least enjoyable and most expensive veggie meal I had in Japan. The meal was miso soup, pickles and tofu main dish in some gelatinous substance, followed by a sweet and an iced tea.

Cons: poor value, small portions
Zinnia N
Zinnia N

So good!

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

Yes, it's not cheap and the portions are small (even compared to regular Japanese portions), but it's worth it! It is hard to find pure vegan food in most of Tokyo, and it's a really sweet little cafe. I just got a bento and an onigiri to go, and they were both very good. I had no idea how the made the food, but they made it well; this is a restaurant run by people who actually know how to cook, not just politicos. One downside is, there isn't really anywhere to sit if you just order food from the cafe. I had to go walking around until I found somewhere to eat my lunch.

Pros: delicious, clean and beautiful, healthy
Cons: expensive, small portions, no cafe seating
karenmar
karenmar

lovely cafe and setting

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2010

I ate an early dinner here on a recent trip to Tokyo. This was after trying Crayon House across the road and finding that many of their vegetarian selections actually contained meat or had been cooked in meat.

So I found Brown Rice Cafe and had the tempeh and vegetables - very tasty, although a litle pricey. Service was friendly and helpful. Good english menu.

I then visited the shop next door and bought a selection of sweets and cookies to try!!!! All very good.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, nice setting
Cons: a little expensive
sarastoked
sarastoked

Takeout from the Deli

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2010

Brown Rice Cafe was really easy to find from the directions on Happy Cow. My only regret is not being able to eat here again. Way too many great vegan/vegetarian choices in Tokyo!

On our last day in Tokyo we only had time for lunch. We stopped in at Brown Rice Cafe where we found the wait to be about 30 minutes. That was a bit too long for us, so we left thinking we would have to eat at the airport. Luckily Brown Rice Cafe has an adjacent deli packed with delicious vegan items.

Overall in Tokyo I spent the most on vegan food, but Brown Rice Cafe Deli was the exception, for around 2600 yen we got a beautiful bento box (1300 yen) packed with bites of japanese food. Really yummy and unique. 4 onigiri of different flavors (about 160 yen each), a smaller tempeh and tofu bento box (500 yen), a green tea muffin (300 yen). It was nice to be able to try a bento box and onigiri and not have to worry about whether or not it was vegan.

We took our food over to Yoyogi Park (about 15 minutes) and had lunch under the cherry blossoms. It was by far the cheapest meal we had in Tokyo, one of the best meals, and eating in the park was great, too. Now that the weather is nice I would definitely recommend takeout from the deli and eating in the nearby park.

Pros: good value, delicious food, friendly staff
Cons: busy cafe
backpasher
backpasher

Great Bento!

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

After living in Japan for more than 12 months, this was the first time I'd actually found a veggie bento!! It came in a lovely box and was delicious and filling though not cheap at around 1300yen. I also tried one of their soy cream tarts, which was delicious. My non-veggie friend thoroughly enjoyed her curry.

Staff were very friendly.

Menu looks great - just wish I'd been able to visit a few more times to sample more of the options.

Pros: Great menu, delicious, friendly
Cons: a little pricey
TAS
TAS

great place

5 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2009

we had a wonderful meal and experience at Brown Rice Cafe. The place is small so you might have to wait for a table. The directions from restaurant website and happy cow are very good, the sign for the restaurant is small and you enter through the aromatherapy store in the front. The food was really good, modern veggie food. Place was very clean and service was really good. I think it was cash only.

Pros: food, service
Cons: place is very small
Doomith
Doomith

Great little cafe close to the heart of Harajuku

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2009

My partner and I went to the Brown Rice cafe around 2pm and had to wait 30mins which was fine. The food was really good, although as everyone else has said, the portions are a bit small. I had the Tofu burger which was amazing while my partner had the tofu pockets which I thought were not as good. This cafe is best for a snack or lunch, rather than a big meal. The deserts were also quite small but very delicious. I had the tofu tart and the wallnut and cranberry tart. Overall we were very happy with the brown rice and would 100% go back!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Great service, Great tasting food
Cons: Wait time, small portions
VeganTex
VeganTex

Brown Rice Cafe

3 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2009

Good food, but small portions. I bought some vegan cookies from their store next to the restaurant to fill up.

yinyang
yinyang

Very tasty

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2009

Really like the food, small portion and very tasty...take out price is very reasonable compared to dining in. I also like their little snack corner with cookies and muffins...very tasty and customer service is superb!

Pros: reasonable price, great location, good variety on menu
Cons: not enough chairs to sit outside
Jessqi
Jessqi

Better Options Available

3 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2009

I agree with the other reviews. The food was nice but quite expensive for very small dishes and we had to wait an hour for the table. It seems like it's a super trendy place. Which is not my style at all.

Pros: Nice food
Cons: Expensive, Small Portions, Long waits
Miggi
Miggi

Tasty food, easy to find but overpriced.

3 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2009

Firstly, thank you for the directions. Many of the places listed in Tokyo were really hard to find but this one was fine due to the good directions given.
I'd agree with many of the reviewers who have already written about this cafe. It is expensive considering what is provided.
We had to wait 30 minutes for a table. Once we were inside and struggling to get the attention of staff who - as someone else has said - seemed in a bit of a daze considering the cafe was busy, I wondered if our wait had really been caused by them. However, full marks to them for dealing well with our lack of language skills and we didn't find them rude.
The cafe has quite a nice clean environment with indoor or patio seating and a decent washroom.
The food was tasty and wholesome and there was a good choice of dishes for vegans. I must agree that the portions are quite small and some of the food could have been more inspiring. We tried tofu pockets stuffed with brown rice, ratatouille and beans which came with a good miso soup, and a bean curry which was kind of dull. The drinks were good - nice choice of vegan fancy coffees. And the desserts were fantastically tasty, but TINY! We had chocolate tofu tart. My other half ordered soya ice cream with his and even the ice cream scoop was miniature!
All the food was well presented. The cafe does seem to be in an expensive area, full of designer shops etc. so maybe that's why you get small amounts and a big bill?!

Pros: Good directions, Choice for Vegans, Tasty
Cons: Expensive, Small portions, Slow service
islandveg
islandveg

Good frood but pricey

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2008

Food was good, not large portions. Food for 2 (we each had the burger) and a side of brown rice, with 1 drink (I had soy milk) came out to $40.

Pros: Tasty
Cons: Expensive
selena
selena

Early hours, rudeness

2 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

This place is definitely NOT open until 1030. I have been here around 8 pm on two different occasions and been turned away because "they've already taken last order". They were very rude about it, as well. I called ahead to find out the closing time using the number on this site, but when we arrived they insisted that we hadn't called, but had instead called another place. This has happened twice now. Even though the food is good, I won't be going again.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere
Cons: rude service, tiny, early/incorrect hours
westcornersville
westcornersville

Portion Sizes Way Too Small

3 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2008

This place had good food--just not enough of it (per order)--even by Japanese standards. For example, one of their deserts, the chocolate tofu tort (which was really good) was about the size of a Reese's Peanut Butter cup! If their portions were larger, this would be a great place to eat (if money is no object, I guess order two of everything).

Pros: good food, very clean
Cons: tiny portions
sarahsvati
sarahsvati

Yummy vegan food

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2007

I may not be very picky because I was just so happy to find a completely vegan restaurant, but I enjoyed my lunch at Brown Rice. It was easy to find, the portions were plentiful and tasty, the brown rice was perfect. My one complaint is that the desserts were TINY (and I mean tiny!). Instead, I walked over the Natural House on Aoyama Dori and bought some delicious vegan chocolate ice cream.

Pros: English menu, Tasty
Cons: Tiny and expensive desserts
Sapna
Sapna

Yummy but too expensive.

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2007

Went to BRC for lunch today and first had to wait aout 20 min in a skin care shop on the first floor as the seating is ltd. The waitstaff were nice but way to relaxed for a busy lunch. They were just floating by in a daze. Ordered the veggie burger and it was really really good. Had a glass of "rescue" juice which was 840yen and was basically just carrot juice. My friend had the bean curry which was good if I made it at home but was a bit uninspiring at a restaurant. Dessert was roll cake (plain jane normal cake) for my friend and chocolate tart which was really good. Couldn't believe it was vegan. It was really small for the price though. I enjoyed it so much and was really inspired that I bought a few things from the BRC deli upstairs which set me back about 4000Yen for some sweets, amasake drink and a bento takeout. Compared to the cafe, the deli is much cheaper for many of the same foods. Overall, really yummy and satisfying without feeling that heavy gross feeling; I think they really take advatange of the trendiness of the area, hench the prices and sizes.

Pros: delicious and healthy, vegan chocolate desserts , take out from deli is cheaper
Cons: small, expensive, menu is a bit boring
Veganfriend
Veganfriend
  • non-vegetarian

Yummy but kind of odd

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2007

The food was great! Although there was almost an hour wait to sit down with only an over priced bath shop to stand around in. When we did sit down though the service was nice and they did well with English. The seating area is kind of small and cramped but everything is completely clean. Overall it was nice and easy to find.

Pros: good food, nice staff
Cons: long wait, very little seating
EARTHPEACE
EARTHPEACE

Best Restaurant in Harajuku!

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2007

For VEGAN this cafe is the best restaurant in Hajuku.
All menu here are made by Organic food.

Pros: vegan food&sweets, excellent food, good value
KelseyApple
KelseyApple

Excellent!

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2006

This cafe has the best vegan desserts I have ever had. In fact, I think are the best desserts period I have ever had. I wasn't a big fan of the veggie filled abura age pockets, but I have tried 3 other main dishes and they have all been delicious. The atmosphere is great and there are health food products for sale as well. The price is about what you would expect to pay (800-900 yen for a main). The desserts are a bit pricier but they are worth it. I highly recommend the Sweet Sake Pie!!

Precious
Precious

Great little secret cafe with nice outside patio!

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2006

I really liked the style and big patio and wondows!! There were also many vegitarian and cooking books to read while you wiated! Not a place to go for a big meal,more desserts and snacks or a small lunch.If you want the yummy cheese cake you can actually reserve a piece when you reserve your table.They run out fast and I was disapointed when there was only 1 little piece left for us to share! overall nice atmosphere and good food.There is honey on the dressings and other things so ask before you order!

Pros: great relaxing atmosphere, many vegan options, nice staff
Cons: small portions, small menu, honey used in some things
Baza
Baza

Pleasant enough

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2006

The burger is tiny. The curry is a little more substantial but nothing special. Some of the food contains honey, like the burger sauce so it's best to check. The Japanese set is the most reasonable option.

Pros: Clean, Outdoor area, Mostly vegan
Cons: Small portions

Dear Owner and Manager of Brown Rice Cafe: