Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe and coffeehouse located in the historic Opera House building offering a variety of beverages, including coffee, tea, microbrews, and local wines along with pastries and a small food menu that includes one vegan sandwich. Has wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
108 E Front St
Traverse City, Michigan 49684
231-946-2739

Open Sun-Thur 7am-11pm, Fri-Sat 7am-2am.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by happycowgirl
Mikemotorbike
Mikemotorbike

made due on vacation

2 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2012

I am from a small town. I get it, not a whole lot of demand for our type. No big deal. The vegan sandwich they offer is a wrap in that green frankenstein stuff. Grosses me out. It was basically a salad with hummus. Except for the wrap, I dug it. I got chips and salsa for $4. Ended up being Tostitos salsa. So I'm guessing most of their stuff is processed based on that. From my 1 visit, I can guess they're primarily a coffee shop that happen to make sandwiches. Would I go here again? Probably. There just wasn't much to get in TC while I was there.

The cards with animals on it as the other reviewer mentioned weren't enough for me to like it.

I suppose here's my bottom line: If this place were in my city, I would never go to it. The only reason I would go back is if I go to TC again and need a quick fix. Next time I visit the north, I'm bringing my own food.

Pros: Clean, Friendly, Good coffee
Cons: Most basic of basic vegan sandwich
VeganSally
VeganSally

Love it!

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

What's not to like? I had the Very Vegan. Mine was served grilled. I didn't expect it to be grilled but it was fabulous that way! I think it'd also be good cold. Next time I'm coming in hungry b/c they had a Very Vegan soup which I can't wait to try.

They had baked goods at the counter from Zaners vegan bakery in Traverse City. You can't get any more local than that. I had their molasses cookie and carrot cupcake and OMG they were to die for! Seriously, amazing.buD

They have musical entertainment from time to time. Board games in the back. Etch-a-Sketches. A small bar you can belly-up to in front.

Service was fantastic. A really welcoming environment. This is my new favorite place.

happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Great First Impression

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2012

4 out of the 10 sandwiches they offer are vegetarian. Only one is vegan. That said, they are loud and proud with that one vegan sandwich! And that goes a long way in my book. Moreover, they are completely open to veganizing any of the other sandwiches or their salads.

I didn't have time to ask if any of their soups or baked goods were vegan. If they were vegan they were not marked as such which is unfortunate. At a minimum, they should always offer a vegan peanut butter cookie or something like that.

I loved that after you place you order they give you a card with an animal on it instead of a number. So when your order is ready they call out "Turtle!" or "Sea Urchin!".

It wasn't clear to me whether they recycled and/or composted. I didn't see any recycling bins.

All things considered, Brew is a wonderful addition to the TC veg-friendly restaurant scene. If I could combine the homemade vegan soups and smoothies at The Dish with the Very Vegan sandwich at Brew, I'd have the perfect Traverse City lunch spot.

Dear Owner and Manager of Brew: