Serves meat, veg options available. Vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurant. On weekdays there are in addition to the offers from the card three low-cost, daily changing dishes for busy guests. For vegans, they offer a specially prepared card. All dishes can be read also in the English translation. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, European, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

Movinyl
Movinyl

Wide variety

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2014

The brennNessel offers a wide variety of interesting dishes on their menu. We went for the cauliflower pecan and the sweet potato casseroles. Both were very tasty. Service was also absolutely impeccable.

PinsInMyNeedles
PinsInMyNeedles

Absolutely delicious

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

Perfect place for a nice dinner. Bring enough time, because everything is being freshly prepared. Menu is being changed on a regular basis, so even locals won't get bored with it. Meals are usually very creative, everything I tried was delicious.

Ask for the vegan menu AND point out you would like a vegan option while you order (some dishes have a non-vegan option on the regular-menu, so sometimes staff mixes up things...). Waiters are friendly (yet sometimes a bit stressed out).

Pros: VERY delicious, vegan menu
Cons: stressed-out staff
o0Carolyn0o
o0Carolyn0o

Delicious!

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

Thanks to the Happy Cow app for leading us to this charming spot. It felt like a warm and cozy hobbit's house. We ended up coming back for a second time, it was so tasty. The first night, I had the manicotti stuffed with squash, chestnut, and mushrooms baked in a creamy sauce and topped with cheese and toasted walnuts. It was amazing! It captured the dense, and heavy quality of a german meal, while adding unique ingredients. My german finance had the curry bake with sauerkraut and feta. He said it was very good. For the second time around, i had a soup with pear, squash, and coconut milk. best soup ever, and i make a lot of soups! for the main, i had a pasta dish with gorgonzola and pear. it was good, but the manicotti had more oomph. my fiance had a mediteranean feta bake. unfortunately there was no room for desserts, these dishes are so generous and filling. Reservations are recommended, as both times it was full and luckily each time people were friendly enough to share their table with us. It is also animal friendly, as one of the ladies we were sitting with had her dog with her, which was great. I've seen quite a few other places like this in germany, i wish if restaurants here in Montreal were more pet friendly like this place. My only regret is not having tried the nettle soup. Ah well, next time!

Pros: Unique and interesting flavour combos, Nice ambience, Pet friendly
Cons: reservation highly recommended

HappyFish
HappyFish

Very Good Restaurant

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

Large variety of dishes, with unusual combinations and nice ingredients. Taste was very good. We had a bead root salad as a starter, black lentil curry and gnocchi with dates rosemary feta cheese and dates as main dishes. The curry could have been a bit more flavourful, the gnocchi were outstanding. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere. Good selection of drinks.

Pros: Many Vegetarian Dishes, Good Quality , Prices Ok
Jimbo
Jimbo

Good place to go

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2013

We visited Dresden in May at the start of a very wet spell of weather. Finding BrennNessel wasn't easy as our map was poor and soon got wet, but it was certainly a worthwhile expedition as the restaurant was excellent. Busy when we arrived, the staff made us welcome and found a table, looked after us without fuss and generally helped us to understand what was on offer
We had two veg bakes, big portions and some beer. Excellent food. We noticed that the extensive menu did have a few dishes containing ham (though referred to in the ingredients) but there were lots of vegetarian options available.
We tried to return the following evening but there were no tables. A very popular restaurant and recommended.

Pros: Good choice of dishes, Popular, good atmosphere, Good beer and wine
Cons: Watch out for the ham in some dishes
laurute
laurute

never again

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

I was in the restaurant for the second time yesterday, 12th of May 2012, for celebrating my Birthday with my boyfriend, as the first time we went there the food was quite good. We asked for the vegan menu and ordered something little before the main course. We got not exactly what was in the list, and we noticed that there was butter on it. But, as we ordered vegan, we thought it was margarine. Then, the rest came and it was covered with cheese. That was not easy to change with fake cheese.... The waitress had forgotten to say the chef that everything should have been vegan. That can happen, the waitress was young and probably new. But when you make such a big mistake, you shoul at least say sorry or bring something to kill the time, some bread or something. The manager was quite nervous and almost giving us the blame of what happened. We were sitting there almost 2 hours waiting. And what we got was quite terrible. My course had almost no taste, the gnocchi for my boyfriend had a very strange taste - and for the price, they should have been hand made, but they were from supermarket-pack for sure (I am italian and know gnocchi very well). Anyway we ate it beacuse we hated the idea of another course thrown away. We said anyway the waitress-manager what we thought about the meal and her answer was "you know, it is vegan...." that has made such a bad impression! how can you say such a thing?? if it is vegan then must be terrible??? this is not the answer of someone running a vegetarian restaurant, it is the answer of someone ignorant about food and about dealing with customers. The customers are always right! and we would have been really happy to talk about the meal, but we met a wall in front of us. I am sorry to say that, because the idea of a vegetarian restaurant is very good, but I have a very bad feeling and will never go there again.

Pros: nice place, good idea of a vegetarian restaurant, vegan menu
Cons: unfriendly stuff, bad food, high prices
Ajolote
Ajolote

Separate vegan menu

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

My husband were looking for a dinner place and this happened to be around the corner from the hotel. When we first saw the menu we noticed very few vegan options, so we asked the waitress. She immediately brought us an all vegan menu with pretty good choices.

My husband had gnocchi and I had an asparagus salad. We also had drinks and a bottle of wine and paid 35€ including tips. We will probably go back tomorrow.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Extensive vegan menu, Good wine
Cons: A little on the slow side
andrea
andrea

Veg or Not?

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2010

We went here last month and sat waiting for some time for a server. I asked for a menu in English and the one we got was confusing with very odd translations (I speak a bit of German). While they now claim to be a vegetarian restaurant, I can't verify that. And almost nothing seemed vegan, with some sort of kase (cheese) in the descriptions.

I finally got up and asked the waitress for some help with the menu and she told me to sit down and wait for her. I thought I didn't understand her at first, so I said I just had some questions. (The restaurant was nearly empty and I went up to her at the bar/counter) She was pretty surly and told me again to go sit down and wait for her. I walked back to the table, we grabbed out coats and left.

gasman
gasman

Pub Like atmosphere

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2010

Seemed quite a vibrant place. There were english menu's provided which - although we were practising our german - was a nice touch so we could compare and learn words. Food very pleasant as was the drinks. Place clean and friendly.

Pros: Excellent food, English Menus
Hanna
Hanna

Best experiences in Dresden

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2010

Lovely, cozy place. The food was super good (and the portions huge), as were the drinks. We were served by a waiter who was so friendly and smiling happily all the time. If we ever visit Dresden again, we'll definitely have lunch at this restaurant.

feorag
feorag

A delightful shelter from the world

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2009

This restaurant is located in an environmental centre in a delightful old building close to MItte station. There is a plant-strewn courtyard to the rear, where we chose to sit.

The main menu is over 90% vegetarian and available in German and English ("Kann ich die Englische Speisekarte haben, bitte?"); the separate four-page vegan menu is only in German, but the dishes are nearly all adaptations of the standard ones. There was so much choice it was hard to make up my mind.

We'd been travelling all day, and appreciated the late opening hours. I opted for the vegan soylanka - a rich tomato and gherkin stew with fried tofu, served with bread. To my surprise, my partner did not go for one of the few meat dishes, but had a classic mozzarella and tomato panini. The meat in the meat dishes did look like an afterthought, which makes a change from the usual situation.

Our meal was accompanied by a couple of beers from the small but interesting beer list. It included local specialities and organic beers from all over Germany. The restaurant also has its own wine and herb liqueur. The courtyard was a lovely and relaxing place to be, and helped us get over a day in the hands of the airlines.

This would be 5 cows if it this site wanted to reward and encourage non-veggie places that go well beyond the call of duty (and this is Germany we're talking about, where anything other than a bit of bread and cheese is a blessing), but I'm not allowed to give it the rating it deserves. I had a much better meal here than in nearly every exclusively vegetarian restaurant I've been in, and I've been using vegetarian restaurants for over 25 years now.

Pros: lots of vegan options, late opening, beautiful atmosphere
Cons: slightly hard to find
snappea
snappea

great atmosphere, great food

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2008

quaint, romantic place with a great menu. mostly vegetarian, english menus if requested. lots of variety in the menu. i had a great salad and soup. in a bit of a strange location, but still only 15min walk from historic center. highly recommended if you are in dresden.

Pros: atmosphere, great food, friendly english-speaking staff
Cons: location
Petesternz
Petesternz

Nice place, with good food

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2008

BrennNessel is a (mostly) vegetarian restaurant that caters to vegans. They have a special vegan menu available on request, though it is only in German. The restaurant is beautifully designed, and a treat to visit. It is really cozy, all set out in wood, with a lovely deck if the weather suits. We ate there twice, and the food was really quite good on the whole, though not particularly adventurous for vegans. As a previous reviewer noted, the vegan dishes tend to be the vegetarian dishes minus the cheese. Still, we ate well. The minestrone soup was an excellent one of its type, and it is a huge portion (though it should be given the price). The mushroom and couscous salads were also really tasty. We did not choose the hotter dishes, as they did not particularly inspire. Service was really friendly on both visits. Overall, well worth visiting, and the best vegan option in Dresden we found.

Pros: big portions, beautiful venue, separate vegan menu
Cons: not much vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of brennNessel: