CLOSED: Breakroom Cafe

Oakland all vegan cafe serving sandwiches, side dishes, desserts including vegan cakes, and fair trade coffee drinks. Free Wi-fi. Minimum of $5 purchase to use a credit card. SHUT DOWN NOV 2012. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American
300 13th St (Harrison St, downtown Oakland)
Oakland, California 94612
510-836-3864

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by RxJx
sandykaren
sandykaren

Amazing place

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2012

I was sitting in another nearby restaurant when I remembered this place. I got up (rude, I know, but after 5 minutes and not even an acknowledgment, I didn't feel too guilty) and walked over to Breakroom. Cash only, crap, and me with no cash. So after finding a nearby credit union (thanks, Siri!), back to Breakroom and boy was I happy I went to all that trouble. I asked the counter gal what her favorite thing was and she told me the turkey and bacon sandwich. Something I would never have ordered on my own. But I got it and it was the most delicious sandwich I've ever enjoyed (including in my pre-vegan days). The only problem is that they are only open Mon-Friday 10-3:30. I work in San Francisco during that time, but any time I am in Oakland during the week, you can bet I will be here trying one of their other sandwiches. Loved it! If you are vegan and live in the Bay Area, this place is a must. A little pricey, I admit, but worth every penny.

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, healthy
Cons: limited hours, a litte pricey
Myha Rose
Myha Rose

feels like a breakroom.

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2010

Its a small deli shop, kind of spot. I was a kind confused reading the menu. The meats that are listed are not real meat, i wished they just wrote soy ham or whatever it was in the description. I had a butternut soup, which i enjoyed, but i wish they offered bread or crackers for texture. And I had the sloppy jos sandwich. It was unmemorable, literally. I cant remember how it made me feel, which, i'm not sure if thats a good thing. I might try it again, but not making any plans on it.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, free wi-fi
Cons: menu takes time to decipher
Punk Paul
Punk Paul

New Fave

Posted on 10 / 11 / 2008

I have been hearing about this place for a while, but just made it this week. I have been back as often as possible. Thus far I have had the Club Sandwich- sublime, the Spicy Sloppy Joe- hot and delicious, the Meatball Sub- quite good, could have a bit more spice in the sauce- and the Turkey and Bacon with Swiss on Rye- quite nice. If I worked in Downtown Oakland I would go regularly. Only wish they were open on Saturdays. Oh, had some coffee there the first time and it was kickin, and I am a coffee snob. Didn't love the vegan chocolate cupcake- tasted too tofuey, but it wasn't awful.

Pros: Best Vegeratarian Club Sandwich Ever, Nice Staff, Free WiFi
Cons: Closed Saturdays

vduplessis
vduplessis

great spot for vegan b-fast or lunch on the go

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2008

love the vegan cafe- finally a girl can get a yummy latte & vegan pastries, vegan donuts & bagel w/ tofutti cream cheese!
yummy lunches-- vegan mock meat sandwiches ROCK
don't leave without a vegan cupcake or cookie!

Pros: yummy food, reasonable price, cute little cafe
Cons: funky area (@ night), parking (weekday), not for dinner
EscapeFromSF
EscapeFromSF

Specializing in fake meat--it works!

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2008

The menu causes a vegan pause; it lists all these meats. Then you figure out what the "v" in a circle means, and you see the note at the bottom of the menu that "all meat is vegan."

That said, I ordered the turkey-bacon sandwich. It was excellent.

This is a great place for breakfast, lunch, or an early, light dinner, but the menu is a breakfast/lunch menu, not a dinner menu. This is consistent or even generous with the closing hour on the day I went: 7pm.

Pros: Coffee, WiFi, Repentant carnivore friendly
NaomiStrange
NaomiStrange

Delicious!!

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2008

This place has some really good vegan and vegetarian sandwiches. If you're like me and never had a club sandwich, go here and have the vegan version! It's delicious. It's a small spot but really good.

Pros: Good food, Free wireless internet
tartarugafechada
tartarugafechada

great lunch / break spot in downtown oakland

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2008

this place is great - great ambiance, great vegan sandwiches, great staff. try the tofu with bacon or the turkey on rye. soup of the day is often a good change of pace (my favorite is the seitan chicken noodle) and the vegan cornbread, donuts, and cupcakes are awesome. and a bonus: they have a dj up top spinning ambient grooves on some days during lunch. my only wish - that they would grill their apple and cheese sandwich.

Pros: sandwiches, dj, vegan cupcakes
Cons: non-grilled cheese and apple?
greengirl
greengirl

Great little place!

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

Yummy vegan desserts and reasonably-priced, freshly prepared veg and vegan options. Free wi-fi is a big plus, too!

Pros: wide variety of food, great value, friendly staff
Cons: small seating area
RxJx
RxJx

Finally Oakland is on the map

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2008

This place is great. Ive been vegan for over 10 years and I have always wanted a great place like this in Oakland. Awesome sandwiches and great pastries. There is always a vegan soup of the day. It is very small but very comfortable.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: could have better coffee

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Breakroom Cafe: