Serves meat, veg options available. Vegetarian food items include veggie sandwich, gazpacho, bagels, salads, biscuits with mushroom gravy, crispy potatoes with jerk sauce, and vegan cake. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Western, Caribbean, Non-veg
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, South Caribbean of Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
506-750-0723

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by wendystrebe
aruggiero
aruggiero

Wonderful Food!

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2010

We ate lunch at Bread and Chocolate 2 times last week and it was wonderful. We had the veggie sandwich with salad and the vegetables were so fresh it was AMAZING! The peanut butter cups are made from peanut butter that is made in house and they are wonderful. This is one of the most popular restaurants in Puerto Viejo and for good reason!

Pros: Great staff, Freshest food anywhere, Plenty of vegetarian options
Cons: A bit pricey
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

hot and loud but tasty

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2010

I must have gone on a bad day. No vegan cake for me. I had a tasty veg sandwich, although a bit small. The ginger lemonade was pretty amazing. Prices were way out there though. Nothing is really as cheap as I expected in Costa Rica, this place is definately tourist prices.
We were the only people eating there. The rest of the people just seemed to be hanging out playing dominoes very loudly. Its nice to sit outside but even in the shade it was 41 degrees, celsius. A fan would be a good suggestion.

Pros: nice patio, good healthy food
Cons: noisy, hot
waxnumber3
waxnumber3

Tasty food, nice atmosphere

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2009

My partner and I were recently in Puerto Viejo and visited Bread and Chocolate more than once. We were so excited to find vegan chocolate cake! The ginger lemonade is amazing, as were the women working there.

Pros: friendly staff, vegan cake!, healthy options
Cons: could use more vegan options

wendystrebe
wendystrebe

fantastic place!!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2007

I love the food here... gazpacho, homemade bagels, veggie sandwiches, oatmeal pancakes, all homemade.

Pros: fresh, great choices, healthy
Cons: slow, can be crowded

Dear Owner and Manager of Bread and Chocolate: