Serves meat, veg options available. Pub offers a vegetarian option for many item on menu, of which a few can be made vegan. Try the spicy veggie burger. Food is made-in-house. Laid-back atmosphere with music playing and comfy sofas. Free Wi-fi. Has cinema on premises. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, British, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

Mon-Sat 11:00am-1:00am, Sun 12:30pm-1:00am

First Review by ainjeldust
TrixieFirecracker
TrixieFirecracker

Clearly labelled vegan options and great beer

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2015

Was in for the Pub quiz with a vegan meetup group was was delighted to see that they had several labelled vegan options on the menu; they did always have vegan options but I think the menu had changed a bit since I was last in, so I loved that I new dishes to try.

I had the vegan chilli dog (£9) - which I suspect is Linda McCartney sausages - which comes with skinny fries. Normally I find skinny fries a bit mediocre to wedges/thick cut chips but these were really tasty. Service for most of us was pretty quick, though one of my friends had to wait some time (an hour?) because of an oversight somewhere leading to lack of a matching table number.

I went in that week for a second time opted for the vegan burger. It's a good firm patty and comes in a seeded bun with sauce on top and bottom of the patty - I think a salsa of some kind. Unless it's unwelcome mayo and it's vegan I'm not too fussy and I don't always notice these things! It comes with the skinny fries, and a non-creamy coleslaw.

I'm told by friends that many of the drinks on their menu are vegan - I opted for an Innis & Gunn beer on Monday and today I got a Williams Bros 'Midnight Sun' ; otherwise the beers aren't labelled so if you're bothered about alcohol being animal product-free checking the Barnivore website is often a good bet.

Their soup is labelled vegan, and they have a vegan special (this week was tarka dal) and a dipping platter with a few things including hummus and pesto and flatbread.

The decor is made up of dark red walls featuring movie posters, and both sofa areas and tables with chairs to suit whichever seating area you feel like having. I feel quite relaxed in there and could easily sit with a pint (or two) for an hour. The TV was showing a movie with subtitles, and although maybe a little anti-social, I was pleased to see it as so many times I have seen pubs showing TV programmes or movies with just the picture and no subtitles (or audio) - what is the point in that?!

It's 50p charge if you want to use a credit/debit card, but they do also offer cashback.

PeelyB
PeelyB

Fun, Tasty and Unique

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2014

My boyfriend and I went here one Thursday evening for dinner. We were surprised to see it so busy and exude such a buzzing vibe! There were a handful of vegan options and they have a vegan soup that they change daily! The food was very good and very unique for what you usually see at vegan restaurants....I would call it delicious vegan bar food.It would be a perfect place for a fun weekend with vegan and non vegan friends.

Pros: Very Tasty, Great Pub Scene, Affordable
Cons: Not big enough for the amount of traffic
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Lovely bean burger

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2013

I came here for dinner last week and had a wonderful bean burger with chips and salad. It was lovely to be able to have a pub meal in a place where vegan options are marked on the menu! The food was absolutely delicious although rather more expensive that you might normally expect for pub food at £7 for the burger and chips.

Pros: Several vegan options marked on menu, Tasty food, Good beer selection
Cons: Expensive, Can get very busy in the evenings

kasia
kasia

Makes you feel at home

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2012

My favourite is a vegetarian pizza with roasted veggies and no cheese - love it. They do nice chilli, I think every day there's a vegan curry option. Nice bean burgers. They also do veggie hot-dogs - unfortunately not for us vegans - as they are quorn sausages with cheese. Suggestion to the chefs: if you could do a vegan sausage option (Linda McCartney or Fry's hot dogs) it would be amazing! Also would be great if there were vegetarian wine options. But still, I love this place:-)

ainjeldust
ainjeldust

HIYA!!!

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

Hello Monkeys! Unfortunately our description of ourselves has been ever-so-slightly tweaked....we are just 3 ladies in the kitchen who create yummy homecooked pub grub and are incredibly pleased to offer a veggie version of everything on the menu and many vegan options too. Come down and give it a go and please remember when ordering to say that you are vegan (you guys get special treatment ;))Cheers!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 21, 2012