Branto Pure Indian...

Long-time operating place in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui. Popular among Indians. Always busy so be sure to come early. Try a dosa. From Peking Rd make first right into Lock Rd. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

First Review by JohnnySensible
Stevie
Stevie

Branto, Hong Kong

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2014

I've been here a couple of times now. It's a reasonably priced cheap and cheerful type place. I've had a vegan thali on both occasions and thoroughly enjoyed it. They also do a big choice of dosas and a large selection of Punjabi dishes.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty food
BBanSunWuKong
BBanSunWuKong

Very good indian with fast service

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2013

Went there with an Indian friend. He said it was a very good Indian restaurant. I agree!
We took a masala dosa, a kind of long sheet rolled with some potato and herbs inside, and sev puri like a small snack/entrance a bit spicy.
Overal, seems clean, foods is really tasty, they have a set for around 75HKD. For one person cost = around 50-75HKD.
Totally recommend this place !
If you want vegan, you can ask the waiters for dishes with no cream or milk, still plenty of choice.

Pros: Really tasty, Wide variety of indian dishes, Quick service
Cons: Menu doesn't say if vegan or veggie
samden
samden

Great Indian Food

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

There are not many places where I consider it worth to queue up. But this place is! Great Indian food whit many choices for a reasonable price.

Pros: great food, big portions
Cons: short opening times
Lanky
Lanky

Reliable Indian fare

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2012

The first time I discovered Branto, it was by chance, before I even knew about this website, and it was a fortunate discovery. It became my standby in Hong Kong.
I've always enjoyed my food there, although generally I choose their Dosa and Idly. I havent tried many of the Northern style curries there.
Everything I've tried there has been great, or at least good.
The place gets very busy which is generally a good sign in Hong Kong.

Pros: Food, Price
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

very good thali

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

Vegans, ask to the owner (not the waitress) what you can take. There are 3 thalis, the second is vegan, very good, big portion and cheap.

• samden samden

At least today, the second Thali (Gujrati Thali) came as well whit curd. The two curries which where different to the Sout India Thali where a bit sweet. I could not find any other difference.

watermeloun
watermeloun

Very nice indian vegetarian restaurant

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2012

Delicious indian vegetarian food.
The restaurant has a nice view on the street. The staff is very friendly and helps you to choose a dish if you're not used to indian cuisine.
The food in itself is delicious and traditionnal.

Highly recommended.

Pros: delicious, cheap, well located
mahendra
mahendra

Flooting noodle in burned oil

2 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2011

I visit once during stayed a night in tsim sha tsui with my family after seen all online reviews, we had dose was good and we liked to taste fried noodles but the noodles they served was floating in full tray of burned oil when I showed it to one of the staff and he accept but there's no action from him and billed 49 H$ for his thins and service they don't care about the food is able to eat or not, they don't have basic simple service procedure a single sorry has million $ value.

barefoot hare
barefoot hare

Will visit again!

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2011

It is not visually pretty, but don't let that stop you. I really love So. Indian for a change. It seems most places I visit are more No. Indian these days. So, I dropped in before dark and ate a wonderful dinner before racing down to the waterfront to see the "symphony of lights" on the Hong Kong harbourfront. Since I speak english only, the staff actually took some extra time to make sure I got what I wanted. They did their best to answer my questions. The place was super busy and everyone was still very polite to me. I found the food to be fresh and tasty.

Pros: fresh food, lots of choices, helpful staff
Cons: ambience lacking, busy busy
GPreis
GPreis

Fair and unpretentious

3 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

Very simple place. Food was OK, prices low. Utthapam was tasty. Service is lacking.

Deborah3000
Deborah3000

average

2 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

I had lunch with a friend. The food was not great but I may have chosen the wrong dishes. I went there in March 2011. I am not sure I would go back.

Cons: average food
sglcklch
sglcklch

Good food with reasonable prices

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2010

Came here for dinner with a friend of mine. I've always loved Indian food and everything was very good. They should be pretty authentic too considering all the other customers appeared to be Indians. No English menu but they do have a folder of their dishes with pictures to help you with your selection. Would definitely come back again.

Pros: tasty, reasonably priced
Cons: could be too spicy
larryt
larryt

Best Dosa's

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2009

I have been making Branto a stop for great indian veg food now for a couple of years and it is always consistantly good. The dosa's are the best I have had anywhere in Hong Kong. Nice lunch beffet on Tuesdays also.

Pros: food , service, price
ebayley1
ebayley1

• non-vegetarian

Great selection of Indian Food and nice ambiance

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2009

We went here in June 09 on the recommendation of a friend.

Its a strange place to find, look out for the pink neon 'Branto' sign outside, then you go up a lift to what feels like someones living room, but its a nice ambiance once you get there and very colourfully decorated.

We arrived when it was quite busy but didn't have to wait long for a seat. We sat next to a local girl and her two Korean friends who had been chatting to the indian people at our table previously who recommended the Puri, so they recommended the Puri dishes to us! Nice to meet such friendly people on our first night in Hong Kong.

Anyway, the Puri starter was lovely (once we'd been told how to eat it i.e. make a hole in the hollow cracker-like thing and fill with the sauce) then we ordered a couple of quite hot curries for mains which were very tasty, but spicy (lets just say our digestive systems didn't thank us the next morning!)

There were lots of Indian clientele which is always a good sign. I'd definately recommend this place, but be careful if you aren't used to really spicy food (though the waitress does warn you when you are ordering)

Pros: Great choice, friendly atmosphere, reasonable price
Cons: Can be spicy, be careful!, can be difficult to find
vegcipe
vegcipe

Hard to find

4 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2008

It was hard to find... I'm not even sure if this really was the place I went to. Atmosphere wasn't so good. But the food was wonderful! Great mango lassi.

Pros: Taste
Cons: The building
Jagruti Mistry
Jagruti Mistry

Great place!

4 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2008

I ate at this restaurant just recently (Sept 08) and thought the food was great. Its in a bit of a weird location. When you get there you need to go through what looks like a private entrance, the use the lift to get to the restaurant. Its worth a try!

Jemima
Jemima

Subcontinentl local's restrnt, good for others als

3 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2008

Press buzzer to be buzzed through the security door to go up to the first floor - floor above ground level.
Restaurant has a dinerish ambience, decor is Subcontinental for Subcontinental people. Bollywood or Subcontinental talent shows play on a couple of screens. Seats about 60. Perhaps the ceiling is low or the colours of the decor collude to create a closed/crowded sense but it is not cramped at all and both times I have visited, ample seating available.
Clientele is families at dinner and work associates at lunch of Subcontinental background. Casual enough for singles to dine in, in which case a waitperson may talk to you a bit. Service is casual, fine, space is watched over - casually - by the manager/ till operator. Some wait staff speak better English than others.
Menu has amongst it some South Indian food and three thalis. Ordered wadas, jalfrezi, biryani rice and lassi and second time a thali. Wadas were okay. Jalfrezi was delicious with lots of fresh vegetables, although there were a few too many onions at the expense of other vegetables. They were cooked through just right though. Biryani was quite good too. Lassi was alright but a bit on the thin side. Thali had was alright but much preferred other dishes.
Fair value at $165 for starter, main course, beverage for one.

Pros: Some delicious food
Cons: Closed in? feeling
craigmc
craigmc

great selection

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2007

you have to say this place has a hell of a choice, both north and south indian dishes. the thali selection is great value for money and the food is very tasty.
main dishes start around hk$35, thali's priced between hk$50 and hk$ 75.

Pros: selecton, tasty
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

"Bollywood" on the TV

3 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2007

I recommend the Thali's. Vegans you will have to speak with the owner at the cash counter / not with the waiters - the owner will choose butter / yoghurt / ghee free dishes for you. I have always had good / tasty food there. North Indian dishes tend to be overly heavy with oil & spices. Customers are mostly local Marwari / Gujurati & Jain Indians. TV usually on playing "Bollywood" movie clips. Phone in the evening if you have a group of people. Funky entrance - ring a doorbell & wait to be admitted - either walk up one floor & turn to your right - or go up in the elevator & exit to your right.

Pros: Bombay ambience, Fast service, Fair value
Cons: Waiters watch TV &, dream - sometimes hard, to get their attention

Dear Owner and Manager of Branto Pure Indian Vegetarian Club: