Boxwood Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Local sustainable Canadian cuisine, located in the historic Central Memorial Park in the Calgary Beltline. Vegetarian & vegan choices on the menu. The rotisserie items are served separately from all of the sides. Casual environment. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Canadia, Non-veg

First Review by kimward8
junipearl
junipearl

GF option served on wheat bun, vegan with cheese

1 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

Had an awful experience here. I ordered a salad and specified that I was vegan and it came with cheese on it. My boyfriend who is celiac and vegan asked if a particular sandwich could be done gluten free and was told yes. We ordered it and when it arrived, it was on the most delicious looking GF bun I've ever seen! We asked to confirm and WOOPS no that's not gluten free... if you want gluten free you have to have it without the bun... were we not clear enough that was what we needed? Not to mention there was barely anything IN the sandwich so we would not have paid that price for it without the bun if we'd have known.

Service was slow and unhelpful and we did NOT get what we asked for. This restaurant should not market themselves as GF or Veg friendly.

kimward8
kimward8

So many great vegan options!

3 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

I had the Organic Chickpea Fritters Sandwich with Cilantro Salsa Verde (vegan), and the Warm Lemon Lentil Dahl (vegan without yogurt on top). Their bread is vegan and the sandwich was so good!. It was the best restaurant vegan food I've had in Calgary so far. I was very impressed.

The waitress was very friendly and helpful, she even marked on the menu for me which items were vegan or could be made vegan, which was most of them! Here is the current list of vegan options on the lunch menu: Spiced Chickpeas & Marinated Olives, Red Lentil Hummus, Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Toasted Organic Quinoa with spinach and delicata squash, Roasted Poplar Bluff Beets with shaved fennel and farro. There are also some vegetarian options that can be made vegan: Warm Lemon Lentil Dahl (ask for no yogurt on top), Spiced Chickpea & Wild Rice Ragout (ask for no Chevre Mousse on top).

As you can see, the menu is very vegan-friendly. I will definitely be going back.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Vegan Options, Nice Location
Cons: Serves Meat

Dear Owner and Manager of Boxwood Cafe: