Bouldin Creek Coffee House...

Coffeehouse and veggie food cafe. Offers breakfast all day, salads, sandwiches, hot meals with tofu, veggie tacos, blueberry cornbread, and beverages. Soymilk and almond milk available for chai and coffee. Relaxed atmosphere. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out
1900 S First
Austin, Texas 78704
512-416-1601

Open Mon-Fri 7am-12am, Sat-Sun 8am-12am.

First Review by Masalaflower
Lizziedelrey
Lizziedelrey

August 3, 2014

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2014

I got a to-go order of the sweet potato pecan tamales. My food came out in 5 minutes and was exceptionally tasty! The staff were all very friendly too! I look forward to having a sit down meal there sometime

Pros: quick, tasty, affordable
Cons: crowded
saveur
saveur

Tofu Renedict

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

I came to try the much hyped tofu renedict. I didn't care for the vegan hollandaise sauce so it was a bit of a miss for me. The scramble was decent, though. I liked the ambiance but be warned, get here early for weekend brunch because there can be long lines (and the renedict can sell out)

Moix
Moix

Rockin' yet relaxed veg cafe!

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

Visited Oct 2013. Busy yet spacious with heaps of seating options: sit at the bar, take your laptop to the communal tables, sit inside/outside, whatever! Brick walls & wooden fit out makes it feel warm & homely & the decor is kinda rustic & distinctly Austin. The food is nourishing, whole food vegetarian dishes. I had the tamales & ooohhh they were good! Both gluten free & vegan options available. The servers are friendly & cute & not pretentious! The wifi is free! The atmosphere is relaxed! The prices are reasonable! Go here.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 28, 2013

Updated from previous review on Monday October 28, 2013

Pros: All veg, Fantastic atmosphere, Cool servers
Cons: No more breakfast burritos!?

Lisarose1000
Lisarose1000

Lucky

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

We are so lucky to have this restaurant in Austin. They've been able to keep their prices reasonable while serving a fabulous product. Whenever I'm in that part of town, I try to eat here.

Pros: Prices reasonable
punzelda
punzelda

One of my favorite restaurants anywhere

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2013

A funky, eco-friendly vibe is trumped by outstanding meals at Bouldin Creek. Luscious salads and filling sandwiches are available vegan. We took my husband's elderly parents, who are picky non-vegans, and they absolutely loved it. Anytime we're in Austin we make several trips to Bouldin.

Pros: healthy, yummy fare, reasonable prices, funky vibe
LindaSteel
LindaSteel

The breakfast. Speechless.

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2012

They have the best scrambled tofu I've ever had. I will forever long for having breakfast there again.

Thelatinsamurai
Thelatinsamurai

Great Place

5 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2011

This is by far the best Veg place I have been. The people are friendly and the food is great! I loved everything about this place. Totally awesome!

LuvPlants
LuvPlants

funky place near SoCo

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

We had lunch here - great healthy food, good service, but no really tasty desserts that I could see. Pet friendly outside with doggy water dishes!

Longstride
Longstride
  • non-vegetarian

Royale with Cheese

5 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2011

My wife and I visited Bouldin Creek Coffee House and Cafe in their new location this afternoon, and absolutely loved our meal on the patio. I ordered the Veggie Royale with chipotle pesto and added cheese. The house made veggie patty was incredible, and the pesto sent it over the top as the best veggie burger I have ever had. I washed it down with the locally brewed Live Oak Liberation Ale.
My wife ordered the chickpea mock chicken salad sandwich with asian coleslaw, which was also excellent. The new location has more space and parking than the old, and is very clean and trendy. Highly recommended!

Pros: Dog Friendly Patio, Clean, Delicious
Brooklyn
Brooklyn

Affordable, Vegan Friendly and Great Vibe

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2011

This was an excellent brunch place for vegans! The prices are surprisingly cheap and the food was delicious and plentiful. My biggest surprise was the almond milk option for coffee (delicious). Highly recommend.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Friendly Staff
Cons: Very Busy
mathimp
mathimp

Best Breakfast in Austin

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2010

Every time I go, I tell myself I'm going to order something new, and every time I fail. I love the breakfast sammich so much that I order it every time. But I manage to steal food from friends, and it is all good too.
This is the first place I bring out-of-towners for breakfast, and everyone leaves happy.
they are dog-friendly, they have a new location which is great and the service is excellent as well.

Pros: food, atmosphere, service
crystalbelle
crystalbelle

Love Love This Place.

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2010

From the atmosphere to the food, it is one of my favorite spots. I frequent there most weeks for a delicious cup of organic coffee with just a hint of lavender and the "slackers banquet" is a delicious protein filled dish with a wide variety of veggies. Even my non-vegetarian friends can't get enough!!

Pros: Friendly Staff, GREAT food, GREAT coffee
aneelee
aneelee

hands-down fave

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2010

we sometimes joke that we moved to south austin to be closer to bouldin creek. it's that good and hands-down our favorite place for breakfast with the kiddo, lunch and/or dinner. on our list of most ordered - chickpea "chicken" salad sandwich, cool summer sandwich, veggie royal, all the breakfast plates, rose lemonade, nutella cold brews.

Pros: awesome staff, casual atmosphere, THE FOOD!
Cons: hot days, long waits for food at peak hours, can't eat there every day
bhenrich
bhenrich

Best Breakfast EVER

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2010

Luckily I read all the other reviews before going to Bouldins and had the tofu scrambler tacos. I had the vegan version of "The Neal" which is scrambled tofu, sauteed mushrooms, and some kind of heavenly pixie dust that made it not only the best breakfast I've ever had, but the best taco I've ever had. I'm serious- it was amazing. I won't be happy now until I figure out how to reproduce those tacos at home.

Pros: Tofu scrambles are amazingly delicious, Super cheap vegan food, Great coffee, wifi
pattymonster
pattymonster

Yummy

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2010

very friendly staff, heaters on the patio, loved the vegan choc. chip cookie

Pros: variety for veg and non veg, nice staff, games to play
Cons: small interior
o6caligal
o6caligal

A must visit for vegan

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2009

Amazingly addictive Tofu Scrambler!
Vegan baked goods, interesting teas, and a great place to check out local Austin hipsters.

rvasquez
rvasquez

Best Vegan Breakfast in Texas!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2009

Hands down this is the best vegan breakfast you will find in Texas! The tofu scramble is out of this world and the portions are amazing! A must if you're in Austin.

Pros: Vegan Breakfast!!, Great Portions
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Veg Cafe in the Heart Of Texas

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

I didn't think anyone used more nutritional yeast in their cooking until I ate at this place. The Tofu Scram is literally caked in it! It is an interesting take on the dish, a little dry, but good.

This is a pretty good veg diner. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful to vegans. The food is good, the coffee is good and they have lots of vegan pastries, cookies and such. I will definitely revisit this place when I am in Austin again.

Pros: friendly staff, relaxing ambience, good coffee/food
CFlatt
CFlatt

Good Food/Slow Service

3 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

Pros: Good Food and ambiance (it's a funky place that is super comfortable - like hanging out at home) : )

Cons: Service is slow and whenever I have been - they are not very friendly : (

*Note - the cons bum me out because grouchy vegetarians give the rest of us a bad name - causing non-vegetarians/vegans to say things like "Gee someone forgot to take their B-Vitamins etc.

Pros: Good Food, Ambiance
Cons: Slow, lackluster service
kbdragon
kbdragon

The best breakfast ever!

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2008

This place is great. The people are friendly, the atmosphere is great, and the food is beyond great. The tofu scramble and blueberry cornbread cake are to die for and the potato hash is yummy.

Pros: Great vegan food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: flies by the outside tables, i don't live close enough
Guest
Guest

definitely the coolest coffee shop in austin!

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2008

this place rules; friendly staff, good food, fair trade coffee, and reasonably price! The scrambled tofu is great!

Pros: Cheap, Great Staff, Great food
Cons: busy at lunch
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Awesome Breakfast!!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2008

I typically am not a huge fan of breakfast, but not at Bouldin Creek Coffee House and Cafe. I took the advice of some of the reviews below and opted for the "El Tipico" and my friend got the "Blueberry Cornbread". We shared each meal and we both were pleasantly surprised, as the food was quite good. Their tofu scramble is made with nutritional yeast, but it appears as if they dip it in the nutritional yeast after cooking the tofu - good idea, it was really good! The decor was neat; I liked the bent up forks attached to the overhead lights. The employees were also very nice!

kellycakes
kellycakes

Best Breakfast in Texas

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2008

Their tofu is amazing. My boyfriend and I came back the next day. El Tipico with a side of veggie chorizo is quite frankly the best way to start any day. Their blueberry-corn oven cakes are amazing, as well. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable. Perfect for dining alone with a book or laptop or with friends.

Pros: Amazing Food, Great Atmosphere
dgillotte
dgillotte

One of the best vegan breakfasts in Austin!

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2007

I love the Predictable with tofu. The Bouldin folks led by the aswesome Leslie make a mean scrambled tofu, one of the best anywhere! It's full of Nutritional yeasty goodness! Plus, they have yummy potato hash brown patties and collard greens! Try the Fire for some added delicious heat.
It's a hippy/ punk rock sort of joint, so the service can be uneven and it's not the cleanest joint in town, but the patio is a great place to eat breakfast any time of the day!

Pros: Delicious vegan food!, COmfortable patio seating!, AN owne3r that cares about veg issues!
Cons: uneven service, can be slow-ish
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Good Stuff

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2007

Great veggie and vegan food and coffee. Big menu with lots of variety.

Small counter where you order when you first walk in. Indoor seating area to the right. Small covered outdoor seating area right in front. Beautiful tree-shaded outdoor seating area to the side BUT for some reason it is garbage-smelling stinky there but I could not figure out where the odor was coming from. Great atmosphere, pooch-friendly with dog water bowl and treat station. Small parking lot right in front. If this were my place I would nix the parking spaces (there is street parking you can use) and expand the nice outdoor area in front (where it was NOT stinky). I would have given this 5 cows if not for the smell outside.

Highly recommended but sit inside or outside in front.

Pros: great food & drinks
Cons: smelly by the oak tree
SARAHLYNN
SARAHLYNN

Bouldin is Fantastic

5 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2007

Some of the best vegan coffee in Austin. Try the Soy Benny, a mix of chai, soy milk, and expresso. This restaurant is wonderful if you are looking for some vegetarian comfort food, healthy breakfast, or a small snack. All the egg dishes can be substituted for tofu, and Bouldin's vegan tofu recipe never ceases to amaze me. The blueberry cornbread is the best thing on the menu to me. They have sandwiches, soul food,TACOS!, hearty salads, and more. Don't miss this if you are traveling through Austin!

Try the Neal Taco veganized...

Pros: Open til Midnight, Amazing Food, Friendly Atmosphere
Cons: .........?
Masalaflower
Masalaflower

Hmmm, quaint or redundant?

3 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2007

For those who take comfort in retro hippiness and trailer park fantasy, go for it. I, however, prefer my veggie food in a stink-free environment: there are way too many smokers and cig stubs around Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse... and the vegan desserts can be quite dicey. God bless the old oak tree though.

Pros: easy parking, friendly staff, cool interior paint
Cons: smokers galore, unpredictable cuisine, retro decay
  • Scott Trimble Scott Trimble

Definitely not redundant! There is no other place like this in Austin. I love the fact that their prices do not seem aimed at profits.

Dear Owner and Manager of Bouldin Creek Coffee House and Cafe: