Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse

Serves meat, veg options available. Extensive menu includes some vegetarian options. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by YogaGirl
Malin
Malin

wonderful tea

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

Huge amazing election of teas. I did not have any food, but this place is a must to visit for anyone that lives tea. Just the building itself is worth a visit!!

Poundie
Poundie

Beautiful place, ok food

3 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

This is located in a stunningly beautiful building, with a niceties selection and some vegetarian options. It is a place to go with meat eating friends or to admire the setting or to have tea. You will find some nice things to eat here, though it is not really palace that caters to vegetarians that much. If you go knowing what to expect, you find this place to be Ok.

Pros: great setting, good tea, non veggie friends will be OK with this
Cons: not geared toward vegetarians
DonniP
DonniP

Good for tea, not for food

2 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

The location is gorgeous, and the tea selections are wonderful. However, the veg options are erratic, and the staff are not reliable when inquiring about whether dishes are vegetarian/vegan. The food is also overpriced for the quality provided.

Pros: Tea, Location
Cons: Not veg knowledgeable , overpriced
KasloColorado
KasloColorado

Not respectful of vegans

1 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

I really want to love this restaurant. The ceiling is ornately hand carved and painted in the traditional style of Tajikistan. There is an indoor koi pond and potted trees. The building is surrounded by rose gardens and there is outdoor seating next to a creek. In short, it is beautiful.

However, the staff will tell you that your food is vegan when it is not. On one occasion, my server advised me to order the chickpea kufteh, minus the egg on top. When it arrived, it had a mostly raw egg on top. (Even the "white" of the egg was clear and runny... Isn't that a health concern for people of any diet?). After sending it back, I was served what I was assured was a vegan order of this entree. However, the chickpea balls seemed to be made mostly of egg, so I googled it. The chef at the Boulder Dunshabe Teahouse was invited to post this very recipe on the website of the Boston Globe, and it is mainly egg. The tomato sauce has honey. Still, I've been back twice, both times ordering salad, and asking for no dairy. Both times, the salads came coated with tiny bits of cheese. I've also been assured that the samosas are vegan, although even when I mention that I'm lactose intolerant, they still bring the yogurt sauce and assure me that all is vegan. (when I've pointed out the yogurt sauce, my waiter has responded, "Oh that. I guess yogurt has milk.")

After these experiences, I don't think I can trust this restaurant to be honest about its food. Eating here means never being certain that you aren't consuming animal bits.

Pros: Most beautiful atmosphere in Boulder
Cons: Vegans regularly served cheese, yogurt, eggs
veggoodness
veggoodness

Good place to go with omni out of town guests

3 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

The tea house has gorgeous atmosphere and is truly a unique experience if you have out of town visitors. Really, it probably has the best atmosphere of any restaurant in Boulder. I like that they have vegan options and that is always worth supporting to show restaurants that we exist and we spend money.

That said, I have been here twice and was not impressed with the food. They have a couple of vegan options on the menu but nothing that feels like it was made with love by a knowledgeable person. I would go here with meat-eating guests, who always seem to love the food, but it is not the restaurant of choice for an all-vegan group.

Pros: Beautiful building, Lots of unique and yummy teas, Omnivores love it
Cons: Expensive, Vegan options are not super tasty

YogaGirl
YogaGirl

A Coincidence, an Anomaly, or a Pattern???

2 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2010

I really want to like this restaurant! But after almost 8 months of regularly dining here I am forced to realize that despite having menu items for vegans, this restaurant is not accomodating. I have been served milk chai instead of soy on several occasions, despite being reassured by the servers that they are sure it's soy. I was regularly eating a polenta dish because I was told by a female server it was vegan, even after "checking with the kitchen", only to find out from a newer server that it is made with milk. He checked the restaurant's allergen sheet. However, my biggest frustration with this restaurant is that almost every time I ordered one of their entree salads without the cheese, it inevitably had pieces of cheese in it, even when they would remake it for me. I don't know if the kitchen just has a contamination problem in their prep area or the servers fail to communicate to the kitchen. I have had a few conscientious servers, namely when sitting at the bar. But the serving staff is either careless or malicious when it comes to serving people with dietary restrictions. I wish I could recommend this restaurant to other vegans. They do have a great menu, tasty soy chai & even offer a vegan rice pudding. But after my repeated experiences I don't know what to think. I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to take a risk!

Dear Owner and Manager of Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse: