Bottletree Cafe and Lounge

Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe, bar, and music venue with a limited menu of light fare that includes vegetarian options. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Catering, Non-veg
3719 3rd Ave S (historic district of Avondale)
Birmingham, Alabama 35222
205-533-6288

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by tejleo
noHamInTheHam
noHamInTheHam

Cool place, very vegan friendly

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2013

It's been three years since they got a very negative review here. Maybe they have new ownership or took steps to be more vegan friendly when they read the review.

Yesterday, the Birmingham Vegans meetup group went to lunch there, and they made a vegan dish as the day's special because they knew we were coming. There were at least 12 of us, and I didn't hear any complaints.

There are several options that are vegan as they are on the menu, and more that can be veganized. They have gorgeous salads with organic produce, delicious wraps, vegan chili, and tofu peanut butter pie that rocks. If you went a long time ago and had a bad experience, you may want to give them another shot.

_bean
_bean

Hipster Cracker Barrel

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2010

1. I've never had a good meal here, even though I've tried very hard. It's always too salty or too bland. or both.

2. They DON'T UNDERSTAND VEGAN. On many occasions I've tried to order the food VEGAN. I've asked, "what's in that dressing?" "Is there such and such in this and that?" "Could I get it without dairy/eggs/etc/etc?"
I've been given answers, which were wrong.
or correct . . . but I've been served food with something else that wasn't vegan after I went through the effort to route out the potentially non-vegan things.
For example, I ordered a large salad once and went through the process of 'vegan-izing' it, only to have it come out with parmesan or other cheese on it. seriously?

and honestly, I have to go through this process everywhere else that I eat that I expect less resistance and more understanding from a place that brags about how hip and veg-friendly they are.

Incidentally bottletree is the only place I've ever been where they thought vegans didn't drink beer or eat bread b/c of the yeast. huh?

3. The decor is amazingly tacky. Like . . . for real.

4. The PBR cost $4.

I mean, bottletree brings a lot of shows to birmingham that wouldn't otherwise be around, and I know they're going through financial problems. You SHOULD support the shows. but the food really isn't worth the effort.

lentil
lentil

Good vegetarian food in Alabama!

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2008

I like this place. I had the winky dink not dog & it was pretty awesome. It's a tofu dog topped with mustard & a very large amount pimento cheese. I'm a pimento cheese snob & I thought it was quite grand. The coffee was good. Soy milk is available. Bottletree is mostly a bar & music venue. I'd have to say its the very best food I've ever had at a bar. I also like the quirky atmosphere. I will definitely go back.

Pros: a bar with tasty food, music & ambiance with outdoor seating, good price & portions
Cons: football playing on tv screens

tejleo
tejleo

Not bad...

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2007

I dunno - I just had a vegan reuben there last night, and thought it was pretty good...

Pros: nice outdoor area, friendly staff, alcohol

Dear Owner and Manager of Bottletree Cafe and Lounge: