CLOSED: Botaniq

Upscale organic vegan restaurant with an open bar in the center of its dining room. Previously name Firefly Garden and changed its name to Botaniq in late-2013. JUN 2014 Restaurant is re-modelling for new concept and planning a re-opening in August 2014. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, European, Danish, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Frederiksborggade 26 (Norre Voldgade)
Copenhagen, Denmark 1360
+45-33363330

Open Mon-Fri 8am-10pm, Sat 10am-10pm.

First Review by Bettina
wimvdb
wimvdb

Super DELICIOUS

3 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

Verry quick service
Nice fine foods
Super tastefull combinations

One point i would of liked my soup warm in stead of cold ...

Greatings Wim

Manuela
Manuela

Vegan Food at its best

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

The food is luxurious, incredibly tasty, well presented, with particular combinations. It is the place where an excellent chef experiments with flavours and totally succeeds.
Two different menus for lunch and dinner, equally interesting and mouthwatering. I had "the Jensen" for lunch, this wonderful sandwich with lentils, pickles, horseradish coleslaw between two slices of fragrant bread. And for dinner Green Asparagus, Poched Carrots, Peas Pure and oh my, I could have eaten the whole menu!
A little more expensive and totally worth it.

Pros: Seasonal menù, Palatable light food, Good portions
alx
alx

A high price doesn't make good food

2 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2014

UPDATE:
A friend of mine has worked in their kitchen, and what he described is perhaps THE WORST handling of foods i've ever heard of. DO NOT support this place.

Been here twice, both times errrh... Interesting. First time we had to use a weird samsung tablet ordering system, even though we where the only customers. That made everything go very slow, and we waited for 30 min. for the food - a sandwich. Not good. The sandwich was not bad, but it was too fancy and i didn't get full at all. Consider that a sandwich costs around 120 dkk (at that time). Seems like the place values fanciness and extravaganza over quality and actual filling dishes.
One of my friends got a brunch-plate where some of the stuff was cold (the oat-porridge!), which didn't seem to bother the staff. The staff was unfriendly and cared more about their iPhones.

2nd time i went here the food was better, and so was the service: more smiles, no annoying samsung tablets, more interacting and lower waiting times. The food i got was some kind of filled squash. Good, but again more artsy than food should be. I didn't get full at all, and the price.... I just want to forget it.

On the plus side it seems the place gets a little better all the time and it is super easy being a vegan there, since everything is veg. I hope they continue to do some changes and make everything more down to earth. Less fancy lights, no house music and more real food would do miracles.
If so, i might want to go there again some day.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 25, 2013

Pros: All vegan
Cons: Expensive, Rude staff, Way too fancy
Bergundtal
Bergundtal

Nicely presented but strange interior

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

The 3 course dinner was nicely presented, beautifully to be exact. My main course (cauliflower salad) was a little bit on the salty side. Interior design is rather strange: you bump into the lamps from the ceiling... Since they hang between the tables.. I can only assume tables were originally put in a different way? Would definitely make reservations. All tables were taken by 7 during the week.

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Weird interior design
bj
bj

Vegan up-scale - the new black?

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

Wonderful food. A three course dinner with wine. We went two people and had different three-course menus. Both were good - excellent. However, also rather expensive. The service was ok. Young girls, not the most prof ever experienced - a bit robot-like.

Pros: All vegan, Tasty and well composed, Colorful and nice put on plates
Cons: Price, A bit too Robot-like service, Too cool interior

VeganTrav
VeganTrav

High level vegan food

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

I had dinner with a friend and we were both extremely pleased with the quality of the food. Everything tasted extremely fresh and was perfectly presented. The service was ok but could improve, it is rather expensive as many people have said but it's really worth a visit!
P.S. Take the kale starter, it's super delicious!

Pros: very tasty, original, cosy atmosphere
Cons: service not excellent, rather expensive
AudreyB
AudreyB

vegan cuisine at its best

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

Firefly Garden is a great restaurant to enjoy both vegan and vegan raw food. We enjoyed some delicious raw lasagnes served with fresh fruit juices. First I was a bit skeptical about the combinations offered on the menu, but in the end we were really thrilled by this unique indulgence!

Pros: high end cuisine
Cons: quite expensive
Gudrun
Gudrun

Fancy + delicious

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

Vegan food at its best! Firefly Garden serves surprising, fancy and tasty combinations like "Pointed cabbage and spring onion 'stir-fry' served with asparagus, pepitas and rhubarb, vanilla and ginger relish" or "Beef tomato steak with red pepper harissa, marinated chanterelles, cucumber and fava bean salad, raspberry mustard and kelp chips" or "Ravioli with tomato and chanterelles, served with zucchini, goose berries and sage". Some of the dishes are raw and most ingredients are organic. The food looks fantastic, too. I had a polenta dish accompanied with different sorts of vegetables and a raw "liquorice 'cheese cake' with berries and beetroot". Amazing food and actually quite filling, thanks to the polenta. They also have wonderful fresh juices. The interior is modern and the staff is friendly and professional.

Pros: great food, organic + local, raw options
Elinski
Elinski

Delicious!

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2013

Had two different juices and a lovely raw meal for about 200 danish kr. The meal came fast, it tasted like heaven and I am definetly going back!

Pros: Flavour sensation, Kind staff, Good menu
Cons: A bit hot in the room, A bit noisy when they made juice
Winterdragon
Winterdragon

• herbivore

Fancy and amazing food

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

A very fancy and rather pricey vegan restaurant which serves a lot of (but not only) raw food dishes. Might not be the place one can afford to visit very often, but on a special occasion it is well worth a visit because oh my gods the food is out-of-this-world amazing. Seriously, I fell in love with the fantastic tastes and walked out in a happy euphoria which lasted for days. Their menu changes according to season, and the dishes are usually innovative and interesting. And the tastes, the wonderful tastes! Try their cheesecake, it is indescribably good. Also, they have the best ginger ale I have ever tasted.

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly and knowledgeable staff, Atmospheric
Cons: Expensive
cprisacariu
cprisacariu

exquisite vegan cuisine at a fancy price

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2013

This restaurant is expensive, but it has the most exquisite food I have ever tasted (try the "Everyday roasted ..."). The restaurant is vegan, but not raw, i.e., it serves hot dishes. This is opposed to "raw food" restaurants. This restaurant is for the more high end of food lovers, mainly because of the prices. But the food that you get is indeed very very interesting/good/tasty... The restaurant also has a nice atmosphere and nice staff (that can also advise about their dishes).
A bad aspect of this restaurant (as of other newer style restaurants) is that it has an open bar in the middle of the dining tables; here they prepare their shakes and lattes, and these make a terrible noise. So you go in the quite, nice atmosphere, and suddenly the terrible noise from the bar makes you jump off the chair. Together with the expensive prices, these make the bad side of this restaurant.

In front of the restaurant is a very big food marked with very good and special food and eating places (one of these is also vegetarian). This food marked is a must visit when in Copenhagen; so why not stop and eat at the nice restaurant across.

Pros: very good vegan dishes, nice staff
Cons: too expensive for my taste
Rilbe
Rilbe

Brilliant

5 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

Best food I had in a long time in a restaurant. Friendly staff, good service and excellent food.

mononoke
mononoke

love that place !

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

really good and fresh food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere.
raw food chocolate mousse was not really my taste but they got alot of other tasty desserts.

i went twice there and i was just 4 days in kopenhagen ;)

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Ailia
Ailia

Great food!

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2012

We recently adopted a plant-based diet and so were pleased to find this restaurant in Copenhagen. The food was great, very flavorful and elegantly presented. The spinach salad was wonderful, there were actually a lot of ingredients and the flavors blended well together and the portion was generous. Also tried a soup with raw veggie chips which was also delicious. We chose to have a cookie and apple/pear tart for dessert. Delicious!

The menu has changed and the one on the website doesn't seem to have been updated as of this posting. The prices are less expensive than they were before and the menu items have changed. It is definitely much more reasonable for a night out.

I would recommend this as a good place to bring a date or to have a nice dinner out.

Pros: Great food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: few menu items
JonTurner2000
JonTurner2000

Delights from the Larder on Frederiksborggade

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

Interesting and beautifully presented dishes in relaxing modern surroundings. There were only a few menu options, but clearly a lot of care is put into the food. Service was helpful and friendly without being intrusive.
The restaurant was a little expensive for us - but well worth it.

Pros: Taste, Presentation, Modern
Cons: Limited Choice, Bit Expensive
amurleopard42
amurleopard42

Delicious, fancy, fully vegan

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

This is an excellent place for vegans -- they have a large vegan menu including raw food. We went there for one dinner and one breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed the brunch plate with vegan chorizo, refried beans, "omelette", soy yogurt, porridge with apple sauce, bread, rhubarb jam and a mini fruit muffin. They also have delicious drinks such as fallude, cocoa-carob shake, strawberry lemonade and different smoothies made from what tasted like fresh ingredients. Staff was friendly and prices are ... well ... just ok for the general price level in Copenhagen and the fact that you are in a restaurant that definitely doesn't use animal ingredients (e.g., 350 DKK for two brunches and two smoothies).
Updated from previous review on Monday August 27, 2012

Pros: excellent food, extravagant menu creations, friendly staff
Cons: a tad on the posh side
Ladan
Ladan

Modern Atmospher

3 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

I was in Copenhagen in April 2012 I went there for lunch. It is a great and modern Restaurant. Staffs are very friendly. Firefly omelet was OK,but not so good and it was a small portion. I had also a raw soup, it was OK and coconut juice was also OK. I think price is high.

Pros: Delux Restaurant
Cons: Expensive foods, small portions
vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

delicious!

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

We had two yummy eggplant based mains and shared a raw mousse for dessert. The mains were 155dk each (approx $26.40 canadian each) and dessert was 98dk (approx $16.70 Canadian)

Pros: wholesome, tasty
Sanna
Sanna

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2012

We were surprised to find this new fusion-vegan restaurant in Copenhagen when it wasn't here last summer. I think this is the best vegan/raw restaurant i Scandinavia! The variation of parsnip and the raw pine-nut cheese was amazing! We also went back for breakfast and the breakfast smoothie was super good! Don't miss this place which also is organic, great local organic beer btw.

Pros: Excellent food, great smoothies, new tastes
rolfinder
rolfinder

great place

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2012

we went here last night and were mightily impressed. Copenhagen is an expensive city, but this compared very favourably with London swish vegan places like Manna and Saf. Staff were very friendly and easy to talk to even despite the hi-tech fun ordering system. The raw burger and polenta dishes, the smoothies and raspberry cheesecake were all great. We had wine and coffees too and it came in at 600 kr. You can pay a fortune in DK for an open sandwich and this is a classy, very elegant interior with a lovely relaxed but smart ambience. Highly recommended!

Pros: excellent food, good location, great ambience
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

interesting place

3 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

) Interesting way to order: you're given a mobile screen, on which you "leaf through" the menu and send your chosen items to your "basket" and check out, which sends the order to the kitchen. Tasty, very spicy chickpea cakes, DK69. Served with thinly sliced pickles, a peanutty paste and chutney. No offer of water, no check to see if all is okay, little contact with the waitress.
Also available: smoothies, juices, beer, wine, raw, small dishes, soy almond latte.

Pros: vegan and raw options
Cons: little contact with wait staff
Amy1274
Amy1274

Great service, but not for those on a budget

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

This is one of most "trendy" veggie restaurants that I've been in - and the prices say "upmarket restaurant" rather than relaxed cafe, although the atmosphere is somewhere in between. One of the features is touchscreen ordering, where all ingredients can be read, and help from prompt and friendly staff can be requested. The food quality and service time were great, but I hesitate to call this place fully vegan as honey is included in some dishes.

Pros: choice, service, raw selection
Cons: price
braddersfromtheblock
braddersfromtheblock

Hmm...

3 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2011

We ate here on the last night of our holiday, as we figured we'd have ourselves a treat at a fancy restaurant!

This place is VERY swish and upmarket, lovely understated decor. They have fancy little touch-screen pads for you to order your food & drinks; you can see little pictures of the food, and there are 'service options' for you to call the wait staff should you need anything; a very good idea. I have to say the service at this place was very good.

I had the red curry & my other half had Channa Chaat. The flavours in both dishes were good, BUT the spices in the Channa Chaat tasted a little burnt and the dish was a bit too dry; and the red curry, although good, was a little bit pedestrian. There really wasn't enough variation in the dish and the rice wasn't flavourful. In addition it was tepid, almost cold. I wouldn't normally nitpick like this but when the prices are this high (main dish about 130DKK, beer 50DKK a bottle) you ought to have very high expectations.

Coming from the north of England where curries are plentiful and well done, I felt a bit let down by my dish. I thought it was too expensive for what it was (literally a massive dish of curry)... when we could have got something the same size for about £6 in Bradford. In addition a Bradford curry would have had more different vegetables in the curry - this literally only had sweet potato, pineapple, and edemame beans. It's not really enough considering the price.

For raw foodies this place might be a mecca - they had a bit of raw stuff on the menu. I didn't have any because I'm not into raw food really. If you want something upmarket with plenty of raw food this might be the place for you. However I thought it was slightly overpriced and a bit disappointing - it's not really my kind of place and I don't think I would eat there again.

Pros: Good flavours, Great service, Fancy ordering touchscreen
Cons: Too expensive, Dishes a little bit disappointing
Guest
Guest

Excellent!

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

Absolutely delicious food, in my opinion the best in Copenhagen. Nice, modern decor and English-speaking, friendly staff. A very nice menu, with food even flesh-eaters will enjoy. The only minus would be that it is a little pricey, but otherwise, highly recommended!

Lissa
Lissa

• fruititarian

Only ok - don't think I would eat there again

3 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2011

Not to bash this place, but I went there with my husband and we didn't like it that much. We had the raspberry-cheesecake, and my husband had coffee (he could choose between soy milk and almond milk, which was great). To be honest, the cake really wasn't that good. I highly recommend "SimpleRaw" instead, try their lemon/orange-cheesecake, which is heavenly.

The staff wasn't exactly unfriendly, but we didn't feel very welcome either. I don't know, maybe it was just a bad day but that's how we felt. The place was almost empty at around 3pm. I don't know if it uses to be crowded by noon, but for me that confirmed the rule to eat where it's crowded, because they usually have the best food.

On the good side, the place is very modern and looks great, and they had a digital menu, which was cool.

Pros: modern atmosphere
Cons: Food was only ok
Bettina
Bettina

new organic veg restaurant

4 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2011

Exotic vegan food. Inventive and so tasty you can bring flesh-eaters there. 100% organic restaurant and bar with organic coctails, organic vegan wines and champagne (no ox blood or fish bladder). Greenjuices and rawfood menu as well as cooked veg menu. Coffees, smoothies and "milk shakes" made with homemade almondmilk, buckweat milk or soymilk, like strawberry-coconut, raspberry-orange or banana-chocolate. Try the Firefly smoothie (it think was the name) with spinach, avocado, pineapple, ginger (and more, can't remember all), the lemonade or the cactus detox juice.. highly addictive!!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Botaniq: