Boon Burger Cafe

Canada's first all vegetarian burger cafe. Specializes in an array of all vegan burgers along with fries, sweet potato fries, soups, salads, sweets and desserts. Uses natural ingredients, including local and organic. Offers eco-friendly bike delivery. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Canadian, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery
79 Sherbrook Street (Westminster)
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 2B2
204-415-1391

Open Mon-Sun 11am-9pm.

First Review by Marian M
LorraineJames
LorraineJames

All Vegan, All The Time!

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

Don't expect the burgers to be like the beef or other meat-based burgers. With that said, these are delicious! If you're an open-minded omnivore, you'll like the various burgers created. Many vegans love this place have have their favourites. They serve vegan wine and beer there. Prices are pretty decent. Two locations where the 2nd one is downtown.

Pros: Tasty Burgers, Sells their patties outside restaurants., Soft serve coconut milk based ice cream.
Cons: Sherbrook location is too small, Its veganism scares most others., In need of breakfast/brunch menu.
modog737
modog737

Downtown Winnipeg Boon Burger

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2013

This restaurant has had a downtown location for a while now. Boon burger on bannatyne, just behind the Fairmont Hotel.

141 Bannatyne Ave
Phone: 204-504-5394
Email: info@boonburger.ca
Open Mon – Sat: 11:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Sundays: 11:00 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Our family of four goes to the restaurant all the time because it is so amazing. There are quite a few choices and they are all fantastic, vegan and made with the freshest local ingredients.

Best Vegan poutine ever!

Pros: 100% Vegan menu, Local fresh ingredients, Fun atmosphere
Cons: My wife won't let me eat there everyday
BabyVeg
BabyVeg

Finally my first real vegetarian meal in Winnipeg

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

Finally my first Vegi restaurant in Winnipeg that has great vegetarian meals. I'm not from Winnipeg but travel from city to city. Budda burger is excellent with the house salad and tomato soup. Bone appetite.

Baxter
Baxter

Excellent!

5 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

What can I say that hasn't already been said? I'm from out of town and saw Boon Burger featured on You've Gotta Eat Here...and you do!! Had the Thanksgiving Burger and mushroom soup, which were both excellent. Can't say enough good things about a place vegans can go to where they don't have to quiz the server about what is and isn't in their food. Just great!

the_vegbrarian
the_vegbrarian

YUM!

4 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2012

I rarely visit Winnipeg, but when I do, I always request that we go to Boon Burger! It is so nice to have a variety of choices in patties and toppings. The milkshakes are absolutely to die for. Not diet food by any means, but a totally delicious treat!

Pros: great selection, yummy!, MILKSHAKES!
Cons: too small, not enough seating, prices a little high

redrabbit33
redrabbit33

Favorite casual restaurant in the city

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

Been going to the Bannatyne location since it opened and have been loving it there! Went to the Sherbrook one a bunch as well and it's great too.

The food is fantastic and has been good everytime I've gone. Went vegan about 5 months ago now and it's a vegans dream. Vegan ice cream, burgers, bacun, cheese, different kinds of patties. Awesome stuff.

Last thing I had there was the new Buffalo Burger and it lived up to my expectations. If you're from Winnipeg or just visiting, you MUST check it out.

Pros: Tasty Food, ALL Vegan, Lots of Variety
MarciaM
MarciaM

Fantastic!

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

What a treat to be able to go into a burger joint and order whatever you crave and know that you are going to dig into whole foods, made from scratch, totally vegan. My hubby and I went to the Ballantyne location of Boon Burger Cafe last night and both really enjoyed it. So much that we are going back today for lunch. Wish they would open one in Victoria, BC and Toronto, Ont. Great concept worthy of franchising.

Pros: Vegan, Whole foods, Wheelchair accessible
AngelikaDiana
AngelikaDiana

Best... burger... EVER!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2012

Saw Boon Burger on Food Network, had to try it when I was traveling to Winnipeg for the weekend from Vancouver. It was beyond my expectations in taste! Oh my God was it delicious! I am having withdrawals! Ate there twice, had the Thanksgiving burger but did sample the other burgers that my 5 carnivore friends had. I am vegetarian and my meat-eating friends were all worried about the new experience of vegan dining. They scoffed at the thought of eating tofu and threatened me that they better like it. Well...all 5 of them were in heaven after tasting their burgers and swear they will return for more.

The staff was friendly, the place is a bit small but the burgers are without a doubt, the best I've ever eaten. The bread was great too but because of the texture, a fork and knife is highly recommended. Food is filling so come on an empty stomach. Boon Burger needs a franchise in Vancouver! We crave healthy living on the West Coast - this restaurant would fit in perfectly.

Pros: Tasty burgers, excellent value
Cons: limited seating, not in Vancouver :(
ViVi
ViVi

MY FAVORITE!!

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

I am so glad that winnipeg finally got a place like this. If you havent tried it yet, please go! I love the Budha burger with sesame fries... I could eat that everyday. Yes it does fall apart as others say but its all worth it :-) go check it out!

nephaline
nephaline

Fresh Vegan and mainly Organic

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

Service was friendly and we didn't wait long for our food. I had the Buddha burger which has a curried chick pea patty, the patty was yummy but very squishy, as was the home made bread. As other reviewers have stated, it's easier to eat with a fork and knife and I would have preferred a much firmer burger.

My companion picked the Joe burger which is the simplest burger with the mushroom rice patty, he appreciated the freshness and the zippy condiments but found the flavour of the burger kind of plain, slightly mushroom. I had a couple of bites and agree that the buddha burger was much more flavourful.
We shared the fries with sesame, I enjoyed them but my companion would of preferred them to be fried over baked for crispness.

Seating is at large communal benches inside or tables on the sidewalk in the summer, so not a lot of privacy if that's what you're looking for.
We will stop in again to try some of the other burgers on the menu.

Pros: organic wholegrain bread, Healthy, good portions
Cons: squishy burgers, communal seating
  • tlf1967 tlf1967

I think to get firmer chickpea burgers you'd have to put in a binder which would mean an egg or such, and it wouldn't be vegan then. A lot of people then wouldn't get to enjoy the vegan item. I am not a vegan, but do enjoy knowing the healthful ways the food is made so I embrace the mess :)

mcgyver68
mcgyver68

A fine lunch it was.

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

I got here around 1245 today (Wednesday) and the place was full, but I found a seat right away. I ordered the daily special which was a vegan "turkey" burger, made Indian style, with a bit of curry and spice. It was quite delicious.

Other reviewers have mentioned the communal bench seating. I didn't mind it at all. It reminds me of some of the funky, veggie places I use to go to in San Francisco back in the early 90's.

The bread was extremely fresh, but the sandwich itself was prone to falling apart. Best to use your knife and fork. The salad next to the burger was a nice combination of greens and blanched/seasoned carrot and beet shreds. Dressing appeared to be freshly home made, a type of honey mustard vinaigrette The spicy aioli spread really brought the whole thing together.

A nice experience, and something I heartily endorse to anyone passing through town.

Pros: Creative Burger variety, Freshest bread, homemade salad dressing
Cons: busy at lunch time, can get messy
J-9
J-9

Been to Boon yet?

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2011

Boon Burger is a welcome addition to Winnipeg's alternative restaurant scene. The burgers I've tried have all been delicious, although my favourite has to be the Budha burger. Their chili fries are also incredible, topped with their vegan chili, non-dairy cheese and gorgeous guacamole. The service is always quick and friendly. Open-minded omnivores will discover a new world of possibilities if they give Boon Burger a chance.

Pros: Delicious!, Healthy!, Generous portions
kkrista
kkrista

Good Food

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2011

I've been a vegetarian for almost 30 years and in Winnipeg 30 years ago it wasn't easy! I love to tell the story about being at a Chinese restaurant where I requested a vegetarian meal. When my meal arrived, there were clearly bits of meat in it when I pointed this out to my server, he relied "pork not meat".
Its so awesome to be able to go into a restaurant and order anything off the menu, without going into qualifications and detailed discussions about animal stock.
I've added Boon Burger to my ever growing list of great vegetarian places in Winnipeg. Their sesame fries (no gravy required, savour the taste of real potatoes people!) and burgers are really good. The quality of their take out is the same as eat in (thanks!). What is special about Boon is that I'm confident that my carnivorous friends enjoy it as much as I do!

VickySF
VickySF

• non-vegetarian

Delicious!

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2011

We've tried many of the burgers available at Boon, and we've never been disappointed. Anyone who thinks that veggie burger = dried up tasteless hockey puck needs to visit here PRONTO. The burgers are moist and delicious, the buns are fresh, and I would walk a mile in Winnipeg in January with no shoes to have some of their fries and gravy.

eme
eme

Yummy

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2011

Just had a Euroburger (with bacun) and fries for lunch. Yummy. The only complaint is that their buns are so fresh, that they tend to fall apart halfway through eating and you need a knife and fork to finish. Not a huge deal, considering how good it tastes!

Dano
Dano

LUV IT!

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

Consistently great food and service. If you haven't been, what are you waiting for?

JM PEN
JM PEN

Boon!

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

Boon is a welcome addition to the ever growing mutitude of treats that make Winnipeg fantastic. Everything on the menu is as delicious as it is tempting, and therein lies my only cautionary advice- the portions are more than generous, and sometimes sharing a meal at Boon is sufficient.
The staff know their stuff, and have a binder at the front with the ingredients of everything on the menu, should you have any other intolerances (soya, gluten etc).
The bike service is a nice touch, and is reflective of Boon's commitment to both environment and community.
A solid core of regular menu items is regularly spiced up with festive and/or creative new culinary ventures.
Though new, Boon is already classic Winnipeg fare. Check them out online and on Facebook.

Pros: Food, Service, Bike Service
Cons: Not enough space for their popularity!
tani
tani

the boon-iest

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

we luv this place! the food is delicious, (poutine is amazing) communal style eating is nice, and my kids really enjoy the experience as well. highly recommended!

Dandee
Dandee

Just what Winnipeg needed!

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2011

I'm always pumped about any 100% vegan food joints in Winnipeg. And this was sure to be a success the moment I heard my former bosses were opening up this great place. They're constantly trying new recipes and features on their menu and are always trying to offer items for people with all kinds of allergies and food restrictions without sacrificing taste. Great vegan poutine and the Thanksgiving Burger is my favourite with the cranberry sauce and candied yams. YUM!
Updated from previous review on Monday January 24, 2011

Pros: locally owned and operated, 100% vegan, eco friendly
Naomi Wiebe
Naomi Wiebe

Burger Love

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2010

I love Boon Burger. They started out vegetarian, but have since become totally vegan due to popular request. They always listen to their customers and adapt their business accordingly. Everything I've eaten there has been delicious.

Since they make their buns fresh, I suggest having them toasted, considering they are generous with condiments and the patties are moist.

Also, they have one of the best salad dressings in Winnipeg.

All in all, they make food that I actually feel good about eating!

mltmlt
mltmlt

Boon Burger

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2010

Excellent taste, texture, and variety of burgers. Fries were great. A surprisingly good mango lassi (yoghurt drink). Mostly impressed by the variety of good quality burgers. Quite a line up in ther summer while we visited.

Ken4057
Ken4057

A must-go-to restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2010

They are, according to them, the only all-vegan burger joint in Canada. About a dozen burgers on the menu.

Located in the hip Wolesley area, they have three tables outside and bench seating inside.

When you order, instead of a plastic order number sign, you get a rubber animal. Very, very cute.

I had the dinner platter with a Greek burger ($14.95). It came on a beautiful wooden platter and was utterly fantastic (though I'd been cooped up in a hotel for three days drinking little else but Vega shakes).

The sesame fries were the star of the show. Fresh cut, covered in what seemed like some kind of thin glaze and white sesame seeds, sitting on a light, sweet gravy. Heaven.

As someone else said, the burger was very soft. The bun needed a bit more toasting, and the patty was extra soft but delicious. The tofu feta and olive tapenade toppings were perfectly blended.

I sat outside on a sunny day. At one point a man walked by and told me I should try the 'gopher gravy', which needless to say was not on the menu. It was 'good enough for the Clampetts' he added.

Guest
Guest

Yummmmm

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2010

I have been here several times, everything is very good. Soup is a bit salty for my liking, other than that I loved everything. The portions are very generous and reasonably priced. The burgers are huge, and for something like 13.95 you get a burger,fries,soup AND salad, perfect for sharing!!

Cons: limited seating
Geo
Geo

excellent

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

We have had every burger on the menue. Not one will dissapoint. And the poutine is fabulous. We are strict vegans and only eat at vegan restaurants, this is quite vegan enough to say the least. They say on their facebook page with will be turning 100% vegan very soon. Some might complain the burgers are a little mushy, this is because all patties are baked. The buns are home made too. Very comforting that all if fresh and hand made.

Pros: vegan, homemade, fresh
Cons: wish they were larger restaurant
dgordon
dgordon

Boon Burger - Boon Appetite

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2010

The baja burger and buddha burger were very yummy. The fires are amazing. Healthy food, healthy recipes, relaxed atmosphere. If you bring your own container they give you a coupon for $0.25 off your next visit. My one request would be the coupon be worth more. A quarter doesn't go very far when I have to take the container home and wash it myself. I will definitely be going back for seconds.

Pros: Fries, Healthy food, Atmosphere
Cons: Reward coupons not worth enough
Marian M
Marian M

Excellent Burgers

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2010

Although vegetarian, this restaurant can make everything vegan using vegan mayo or cheese. The mushroom-rice burgers were excellent. We also enjoyed the minestroni soup and the garden salad. Casual dining and good value for the price.

Pros: healty, excellent foot, sizeable portions
Cons: very casual

Dear Owner and Manager of Boon Burger Cafe:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Winnipeg page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/01/12