Bookworm Cafe

The first cafe in Hong Kong serving organic vegetarian cuisine with relax atmosphere. Advance bookings are highly recommended on weekends and holidays. Ferry from Central Outlying Island Piers No.4 Yung Shue Wan. Price: Moderate more-less
Organic, International

First Review by JohnnySensible
Gavin Jones
Gavin Jones

Good and fresh

3 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

I've been coming back to Lamma for many years and the Bookworm Cafe is always a great place to stop off for good, healthy food at a reasonable price. It's popularity does mean you have to queue some times during festivals or peak hours but it's worth waiting for. Check out the nearby organic health shop Just Green.

bonn93
bonn93

Slow service

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

The Bookworm Cafe is very easy to find when getting off the ferry in Lamma - just follow the Main Road for about ten minutes. I had a bean burger with fries and salad, which was average (but a nice break from the mock meat-heavy Chinese veg food) and a fresh ginger, apple and lemon juice, which was really nice. There is one vegan dessert on the menu, however it was unavailable on the day that we went. The only problem was the very slow service - we waited a very long time for our meals, and our drinks only came some time after our meals. We also saw the waitress turning a number of other customers who arrived after us away, despite there being quite a few empty tables, which seemed a bit odd. So perhaps consider making a booking.

bluepaper
bluepaper

Highlight

5 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

After arriving with the ferry I saw a sign with a hint to this restaurant. After following the path on the island we almost ran into this restaurant. It's really easy to find. The offered food is gorgeous, they sell used books for very low prices and you also can exchange them.
The atmosphere is really nice. Next to the Bookworm Café is just a small shop with organic stuff.
Really nice place!

Pros: organic, delicious, easy to find
Minni
Minni

Nice atmosphere

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2013

I stopped by for some vegan chocolate cake and drinks. The atmosphere was very comfortable and cozy, menu in English and staff spoke English adequately. A bit expensive for my taste, but then Hong Kong is much more expensive than the mainland. I'd come again!

Pros: nice atmosphere
Cons: a bit expensive, not vegan
Pitaya
Pitaya

Closed on Wed, even though supposed to be open

2 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2013

I was really sad to find this restaurant closed on Wednesday (13th March) when we travelled to the lovely Lamma Island. There were huge ads of the restaurant everywhere and they were telling the restaurant to be open every day (from 9am to 9 pm) except on Thursdays, but we found it closed at lunch time on a normal Wednesday and there was no explanation for that. But luckily there was this fabulous organic/ecological shop "Just Green" http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=12200 very close to the Bookworm (same street, number 75) and we could buy some picnic food there (vegan cheese and chocolate etc.!).

+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

Vegan = without milk

3 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

Western food (not asiatic). I took a breakfast and a delicious shake with dates, banana, almonds, spiruline. Be carreful because when it's written vegan it means without milk but it can have egg !!! I was during the chinese new year and i didn't appreciate they charge me 20% instead of 10 because it's open during this period and it isn't written ... I'm not sure it was legal ... in more, it's expensive !

beerzuki
beerzuki

Lamma Island's hidden treasure!

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2011

I has lunch on a Sunday and it was packed out which was great to see! English menu, friendly staff, cosy atmoshpere and very good food. It is down the end of the narrow street, pretty easy to find past Deli Lamma. I took the ferry from central to sok kwu wan ($25) and walked to yung shue wan (about one hour 15 mins) - this way i built up a healthy appetite and you have more choice of ferries to take home ($20), but it doesn't really matter which way you go.

A bit further into Yung Shue Wan keep an eye out for the charity shop supporting abandoned animals on the island. They have a donation box inside and also a good selection of bargain books and cd's.

As you can see, it was a fun trip!

(Just one more comment on Bookworm: I would have like more asian and vegan options but I was really happy (and healthy)with what I had (large fresh juice, delicious soup and huge vegan salad bowl, I felt good value at $140HKD-organic used where possible)

Pros: healthy, vego on lamma!, english menu
brucecannon
brucecannon

A portal onto Bolinas

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2010

If you just need to crawl into a hippy cocoon for an hour or two, this is the place. Food is great, portions generous, atmosphere is nice inside or outside.

Pros: Tasty, Ambience, Value
Cons: Indifferent service
Jemima
Jemima

Break from Chinese food and HK island/Kowloon

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2008

Signposted on the right as you walk down the Yue Shung Man Main street path, with further outdoor sheltered seating on the otherside of the walk way.
Casual cafe with a laid back vibe, books stacked on one wall with a couple of the day's newspapers available next to a computer with internet access. Staff are pleasant, speak English fluently and are on top of it but not stressed despite being very busy.
Menu is in English and is quite extensive with breakfasts, salads, burgers, soups, mezze plates, pizzas, substantial dishes such as sheperdess pie, juices, hot beverages...It was so difficult to choose!
Ordered the full veggie breakfast with side of hommos and beetroot, lemon, spinach and celery juice. Breakfast was a massive heaped plate with mushrooms, baked beans, scrambled eggs (possible to get them any way you want), wholemeal toast, "bacon", veggie burger (lentil/bean type) and tomato. Wouldn't recommend the "bacon" and the mushrooms were hydrated dried Chinese ones, but other than that, accurate rendering of what would be in a Western cafe. Hommos was good and juice was great, cold too. Not only that, it is largely if not all, organic!
$94 for more Western, organic food than I could finish, renewing environment and free internet use. Totally worth it!

Pros: Organic, Decent Western food, Relaxing environment
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

Great atmosphere - I eat there often now -

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

Take the ferry from Central on Hong Kong Island to Yung Shue Wan Harbour on Lamma Island & walk for 10 minutes to Bookworm. The other ferry stop on Lamma is Sok Kwu Wan - this is a 2 hour walk from Bookworm over the mountain. I really like Bookworm - it is a "hippie" style place with a good percentage of vegan dishes on the menu. Super relaxed atmosphere. If you are in a hurry ask the staff which dishes can be prepared quickly. Even the salads take 15 minutes to prepare - they are worth the wait - super fresh & well combined. "Fair Trade" coffee's & teas available to buy. No longer connected in any way with "Life" in Central.

Pros: Happy hippy vibes, My generation, Really nice staff
Cons: Grim toilet outside

Dear Owner and Manager of Bookworm Cafe: