Bonnys Vegetarian and Organ...

Restaurant, bakery, and take-out counter. Food is mostly organic and includes items like spicy faux "tuna" (not real tuna) made with tempeh and seaweed, lasagna with tofu ricotta, soba noodle stir fry, black bean chili with quinoa, vegan desserts, and more. Gluten free options. Fully vegetarian and vegan friendly since late 2009. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, International, Beer/Wine
1748 Notre Dame St W
Montreal, Quebec
514-931-4136

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by tragedia
JonJon
JonJon

Cozy vegan-friendly restaurant

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2014

This restaurant is a cozy place where vegans can find something good and fresh to eat. Food is organic, homemade and usually tasty. I had a lentil burger, japanese noodles and and rice pudding as a dessert. I found the whole a little pricey but consistent with homemade and organic food. It could be nice if they can offer still more vegan options.

Pros: good, organic and fresh food, pleasant and cozy place, vegan options
Cons: pricey, could have more vegan options, location
dalesturgess
dalesturgess

Tasty food, good value

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

Nice cosy restaurant in Griffintown neighborhood. Daily special was lentil loaf with mushroom gravy. Nice salad with home made broccoli, potato and leek soup. Carrot cake for dessert. All vegan, made to order and delicious. Recommend this place. Omnivore hubby even liked it too.

Pros: vegan, fresh, cosy
ajl902
ajl902

Small Vegetarian Restaurant

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2011

Great soups and sandwiches. Fully licensed so you can enjoy a glass of wine with dinner. Seitan "smoked meat" and lentil soup are our favourites! Good amount of vegan options.

Pros: Healthy, Vegan options, knowledgeable staff
Cons: Basic menu (variety not exciting)

Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Great place to eat

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2011

Between my girlfriend and I we got the Bruschetta as an app (actually it came after our meals because we ordered the vegan empanadas but then were told they were out), the Black Bean Chili with quinoa, vegan Reuben, brownie with soy ice cream and the chocolate mousse. All this came to about $60...you can decide if that's too much or not...felt a little expensive to me. The bruschetta and brownie were not labeled vegan on the menu but I was told they could be (or were) made vegan for us. The bruschetta came late but it was the highlight of the meal. The chili was really good too...a little bit of a kick but not overwhelming. My gf loved her reuben and the chocolate mousse (although it was more like chocolate pudding than mousse...very tasty). The brownie with ice cream was ok. The service was very slow but it was what we wanted...the ability to chat and sit around...if you're looking to get the service going more quickly, just ask as the server (there was only one) was very nice and helpful. Overall it was a great experience...the food was very good, the place is cozy and the service is warm and friendly.

Pros: Good food, Cozy environment, Friendly service
Cons: A tad expensive, Service is more on the slow side
Chizetta
Chizetta
  • raw

Lovely food, lovely place!

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

I have eaten in this resto more than 10 times and took all of my friends there and I was never tired of their food! Service could be a bit slow, but the food is great and the place is authentic - so no problems to wait a bit. Reasonably priced and very worth a visit! Do not forget to visit ERA Vintage Wear just next door!- Jean-Paul Gautier shops there too!

Pros: great food, nice authentic place, fairly priced
Cons: a bit off the path
Poppy Seed
Poppy Seed

Eh...

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2010

This place was not very convenient to the metro, but thought we'd try it anyway. There weren't very many vegan things on the menu. The most exciting was the lasagna. I have to admit it was extremely yummy and the bread it came with was delicious. I even got a frozen lasagna to go. The price for the portion size was a little expensive. The service was poor as the waitress completely forgot about our drinks. Check out the lasagna if you're in the neighborhood, but there are better places to go for vegan food.

Pros: lasagna, atmosphere
Cons: poor service, lack of interesting vegan options, inconvenient location
GEORGE RITTER
GEORGE RITTER

simple, delicious and very very clean

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2010

If you are a veggie, or want to try, Bonny's is the Queen of the crop. Prices are okay, food very very good, ambience just fine. I am on my way back there now. Thinking about the menu has made me hungry.

Pros: very good food, okay prices, nice place and hood
Petesternz
Petesternz

I wouldn't....

Posted on 10 / 11 / 2009

We had a particularly bad experience here, which can happen. We arrived for lunch when the restaurant was completely empty. Nonetheless, it took forever to get served and then our order took around 30 minutes to arrive. We had a hummus plate which came with four tiny squares of pita. And this was the highlight of our meal! Next up was a veggie burger which we ordered without cheese, as we are vegan. Naturally, it came dripping with cheese. We sent it back, and given how long it took to arrive, decided to leave. We also had a salad that was bland and boring. To top it all off, they tried to charge us for the burger, which we adamantly refused to pay for. Very poor experience, and we won't be back.

Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything
M. Davis
M. Davis

Much Improved

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2009

I've been here a few times, most recently last week, and was quite impressed with the food and service which has definitely improved with time. Can't complain about the portion sizes. Home cooked, and healthy organic are tops in my book. Yes, a little out of the way, but worth it. If you work nearby, great place for regular meals.

Eve Love
Eve Love

nothing special but SO comforting

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2009

I went once in 2006 and thought it was a nice restaurant. small and warm place with a nice open kitchen.
home made food, nothing special but comforting.
i had a good stuffed pepper with brown rice.

cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Ok

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2009

This place is ok. It's a bit out of the way and the prices are high. They do have some wonderful choices like vegan lasagna though.

In general, I find the dishes a bit bland and two or three bites too small, but healthy and nice.

They also close now and then to take holidays so call ahead. There is nothing else anywhere near there if they are closed.

Pros: healthy, friendly
Cons: expensive, bland
jrm212
jrm212

tasty

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2009

Did a takeaway order for a small group of people trying different things. Some quite bland (samosas, carrot cake, nachos), some quite good (veg burgers, hummos). Wish they had more vegan options...

iansnyder
iansnyder

Meh

Posted on 02 / 24 / 2009

My wife and I went out of our way to try this place out and were pretty disappointed. The menu selection for vegans was pretty slim, but that was okay, so I ordered something like a sloppy joe and my wife got a mushroom burger. They didn't have tops to the buns, which was a little weird, and not very satisfying. Generally the portions were small; most of the plate was taken up by a boring salad.

The menu items are not clearly marked as vegan, vegetarian, or non-vegetarian, so make to ask for clarification if that's an issue for you.

All in all not so bad, until I got the bill, which ended up being over thirty dollars for two people (and we were still hungry).

I would definitely recommend ChuChai or Aux Vivre over Bonny's.

Pros: Healthy, *, *
Cons: Can be expensive, Forgettable service, Forgettable food
sally anne
sally anne
  • non-vegetarian

nothing special

Posted on 11 / 19 / 2008

I visited this restaurant in the summer of 2008, on a Saturday or Sunday evening (can't remember). Service was friendly but not exceptionally professional or fast. There were only two other parties in the restaurant (a total of 9 customers).

Food was unremarkable, both in terms of menu items value for money. The menu items (bugers and a few vegetarian standby's like lasagna) were not terribly original and don't seem to feature the instrinsic qualities of the ingredients or flavors. It left me with the impression that this was vegetarian cooking struggling to compete with non-vegetarian food.

Most disappointing was the price. I paid almost 20$ before tax and tip for a meal consisting of a small salad, sandwich and a dessert.

This restaurant seems to appeal to those who want to support vegetarian restaurants because they exist. Any vegetarian e.g. Indian restaurant can easily outdo it for the value and diversity in flavors. <

The decor is cool, but the location is not really worth the hike.

I too, was overcharged! I ordered a special that included a salad. The waitress brought it to me with something else on the plate (chips I think), so I ended up ordering a separate side salad, for which I paid almost $5 -- for something that was no bigger than a small side salad.

In sum, the establishment does not seem to try very hard to please customers. It is though they assume they will just come and that they can charge anything they want.

Definitely will not return!

Pros: d├ęcor, healthy food, offers vegan food
Cons: un original menu, low bang for the buck, un professional service (over charges)
bete_noire
bete_noire

glad i finally stopped by

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2008

i remember walking past bonnie's and saying to myself "i should really check out this place sometime". i'm so glad i finally did. the service was excellent from the entire staff (two waitresses in this case)and the food heavenly (even my non-veg boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed it). i had the boca burger platter and my boyfriend had the vegan lasagna. both dishes were quite affordable (under 12$) and delicious. for desert he had a rice pudding which was so-so and i had a really tasty piece of black forest cake, mmmmm...
the lights were nicely dimmed and the decor quite warm, intimate and unpretentious. in all, a very charming evening out. i'll definitely go back.

ps. i would give this restaurant five happy cows, but because there is a tuna sandwich on the menu it is considered non-vegetarian and the highest score i can give is four happy cows. :(

Pros: atmosphere, ethics, price
elicaha
elicaha

Fab

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2008

Wonderful food, service, and restaurant. Perfect for your Montreal vegetarian/vegan experience. I remember having an amazing tofu lasagna which was out of this world. You won't be sorry.

Pros: food, service, atmostphere
Cons: location
philjdomm
philjdomm

intimate

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2008

awesome place to eat after a good bike and rollerblade route

kennyp353
kennyp353

This so-called vegetarian restaurant serves fish

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2008

I wrote a very positive review of this place in late July but returned and was very sad to see fish on the menu - if a place calls itself a vegetarian restaurant but serves fish, I suddenly get wary of its vegetarian credentials and find myself worrying about what non-vegetarian ingredients it might be using. My second visit was disappointing even before I noticed this. First visit had an excellent waitress; second time the different waitress was just OK. Each time the main course from the special of the day was quite unpleasant - first time a Canadian version of a Ukrainian delicacy, cabbage and tempeh instead of the more usual bacon wrapped in pastry and served with boiled onions and salad, second time a portobello mushroom served as an open burger with feta and salad that had a rancid aftertaste. First time the soup was exceptional, second time it was just OK. Coconut creme dessert was excellent both times. Just to add insult to injury, the special is priced on the menu at 11.95 but charged at 12.95 - "oh yes I suppose we should update that".

Pros: nice rest rooms
Cons: in a sketchy area, fish
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Great find!

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2008

Casual and cozy, a mostly vegan restaurant with lots to choose from and awesome-sounding desserts (I was too full to try). My non-veg*n bf had cheeseless nachos (with salsa and avocada) and a spelt/kale/cheese empanada. I had a vegan tuna sandwich and was amazed. My boyfriend assured me it was quite realistic. If I lived in Montreal I would go back very soon.

Pros: good selection, lots of vegan desserts, good price
ginger
ginger

awful / over rated

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2008

if your not fimillar with vegan/ vegetarian cuisine or your not a big cook you might find it good. i didnt like it at all. i went twice. once a ate plate of raw potatos ( no other veggie) another time mushroom kamut pasta there must of been (4 mushrooms in the dished ) they are very cheap,the meals are small.you get a cup of soup (my coffee cup is bigger), then the meal.your better of going to the grocery store and picking veggie pate or humus, tomato some healthy bread and make your own some lunch if in montreal there are much better choices of restaurants. les vivres excellent!

• LoveFood LoveFood

The only part of the above review that I disagree with is that Aux Vivres is better than Bonny's. I would not recommend Aux Vivres either. Otherwise, however, the reviewer is pretty bang-on about Bonny's.

flygyrl
flygyrl

Disappointed

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

The food was so amazing and wonderful, however ambiance is a huge part of the dining experience. Unfortunately, I was treated really badly by waitstaff and do not feel comfortable to go back even though I want to. I wrote to Bonnie and she never responded.

Pros: excellent food, exciting menu, good music
Cons: staff rude, dirty tables, no concern for repeat customers
Miyuki
Miyuki

Satisfied !

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2008

I went there last thursday evening for the first time. I orderd soup, lentil burger and chocolate cake with chai latte! everything was great! better than anywhere else!!
and I took out this spicy lasagna, and it was good too! I dont live close but I'm sure I go back!

Pros: great food, friendly stuff, nice atmosphere
Cons: not cheap, far from my place
Nigel
Nigel

Disagree

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2008

I disagree with "Guests" comment about vegan fare. I asked the staff the same question and was told exactly what was vegan, how they make their food vegan (that is not already). My friend who can't eat gluten also had a full explanation on what they can have and what they can't. Over all my friend and I were extremely pleased.

Pros: Informative, Fast , Clean
Cons: None so far
Philippe
Philippe

New Location - Even better!

Posted on 11 / 27 / 2007

Bonny's has move to a better, larger location. The menu options are excellent, and Bonny and her team are extremely friendly. Now serving wine and beer. This is definitely a place to visit while in Montreal.

Pros: Food quality, Friendliness, Decor
Deano
Deano

super friendly

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2007

Bonny's has a new (larger) home - but that doesn't mean it's suddenly got too big for its boots. This place must have some of the friendliest staff in the city. On our two recent visits the waiters chatted to us like we were old friends. Bonny joined us for a natter too, as did a crazy Croation chef. The atmosphere is terrific and the food doesn't let it down.

Pros: great staff, good food, new location
tragedia
tragedia

Tiny place with big heart

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2007

This cozy little restaurant at just a 10 minute walk from downtown is a great bet. Although not all menu items are vegan, Bonnie and her fellow chefs will gladly "veganize" them for you. Their salads are delicious and portions are very generous. The service is impeccable and staff is knowledgeable of all products.

Pros: Friendly staff, Large portions, Seasonal variety
Cons: Food is sometimes bland

Dear Owner and Manager of Bonnys Vegetarian and Organic Cuisine: