Cooperatively run vegetarian restaurant in the Bonnington Square Community Centre open since the early 80's. Changing chefs. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, International

GloomBaby
GloomBaby

Different every time!

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2014

Places like this are the complete antithesis of go to veg staples like Maoz or Hummus Bros, and that's a really great thing.
The different chefs and eclectic cuisines make each visit unique whilst the place itself is charming and set in a lovely bit of Vauxhall I didn't know existed.
Food and portion sizes may vary (last time I visited I got enough food to feed two I think!) but you contact the chef to book and can ask any questions then if you don't like surprises.
If it's a quirky, enjoyable London veg experience in a cosy relaxed atmosphere you're after then check it out.

Pros: Cute location, lovely staff , Food safari!
edwilson
edwilson

Very Disappointed

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

I do not know they have high reviews.

Very casual place which I do like. Menu is a blackboard with 4 items on it. Food came out very fast. Unfortunately it was horrible food. The lentil soup looked like paste, Moroccan chickpea tagine was bad, not much flavor and portions where odd size, other people got more or less. For the cost you can go to a much much better place.

Maybe I came on a bad day or bad chef but I will not be going back or suggesting it to others.

Pros: Relaxed Setting
Cons: Bad Food, Limited Options, Cost
Vegan Hobo
Vegan Hobo

A Secret London Gem

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

I lived in London for 7 years and this was one of my favourite restaurants, for the whole experience of eating here as much as the food.

Do not expect upmarket surroundings or polished service but go here if you are interested in honest, hearty food in a relaxed and welcoming environment.

I have never had a bad meal at the Bonnington Cafe and the prices are ridiculously cheap for the food and the privilege of eating here.

A unique experience for London.

Pros: Variety - different chef each night, Extremely good value - also BYOB, Supports the community

MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Visit!

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

I love both the concept and reality of this place. Good food, friendly people and a charming venue. Looking forward to future visits.

Pros: Friendly, Good Food, Inexpensive
jollypig
jollypig

Brilliant Concept - support it!

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

I love this place. Other reviews have nicely summarised the concept; I can only add that I love the quirkiness of it. You could eat here every day and have a different experience each time - it just depends on who is cooking. I've never had a bad meal at the Bonnington Cafe; it's ranged from average to amazing. With this in mind, don't dismiss it first time if it's not great. Go back on a different day and find the chef you like best.

One other thing I love about the place is that you can bring your own booze. The food is good value too.

Make sure you book in advance (check the website as you need to book directly with the person cooking on the given day).

Definitely recommended.

Pros: Bring your own booze, Changing daily menu, Great atmosphere
Cons: Quality can be hit and miss
sXe_22
sXe_22

disappointing

Posted on 11 / 21 / 2013

I received lots of good feedbacks before going, but unfortunately it betrayed them all. atmosphere is casual... too casual probably (and I am all but posh). menu was poor: obliged choices for vegans, quite small portions and simple plates for an unfair prize. maybe I picked an unlucky night, but next time i will surely go somewhere else.

YaraCoelho
YaraCoelho

A very special place

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

This is a very special place in London. A community restaurant serving amazingly healthy and delicious vegetarian and vegan food, with different chefs rotating each day.

Each one of the chefs brings a new vibe and menu, so you can have Mediterranean inspired food one day, Mexican another, Italian on another and so on. There´s never boredom and the menu never stops surprising you.

Having known the chefs for so many years now, I personally know how much love and energy they put into making this space a very special one, where not only the food is healthy and great, but the atmosphere is also important.

The service is excellent, very friendly and attentive, the decor is also different from everything you might have seen in London and the price is great, allowing everyone the possibility to afford lunching or dining there.

Make first a reservation, so the chefs know how much food to make and then enjoy your meal!

Pros: Delicious egan options, atmosphere, dedication by the chefs
Cons: nothing
beenie
beenie

Great food, cheap prices, nice atmosphere

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2012

We went here for dinner on a sat night and loved it. Wasn't quiet sure what to expect from reading the reviews but we will def be going back. Make sure you make a reservation as its really busy and we saw lots of people being turned away without a booking. Check out their website before booking for some great info on the chefs and which nights they work. Also its byob with no drinks to purchase

Pros: veggie and vegan , great atmosphere, cheap, byob
Cons: small menu
Jemima
Jemima

*Belated review!* It was a lovely evening

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2010

Disclaimer: visited about a yr bef this review...
This is a building which allows a number of different chefs to use it on various days to run their own restaurant. Their website lists which chef is on which day and sometimes the chef provides more information on their cuisine. You need to book so the chef knows what numbers they have. I booked late on the day for a Sunday which was when Anat was on and he was totally fine with it.
We got a bit lost at first, if you haven't been before it might be a good idea to check a map. Once you see the giant hand at the Pleasure Garden you're on the right track and just keep going round until you reach it.
Colourful leaflets/ signs peeked out from a townhouse. Inside it was a rustic/ shabby chic? and charming.
We were early so their waitstaff were just setting and organizing tables for reservations and they let us choose seats at the front window.

Anat's menu was gourmet. We had two choices each for starter, main and dessert. I had a broccoli and a grain I think for main and the person with me had the other option which was a quiche/ pie I believe. I think it was the lesser chosen option as while my portion was normal sized, his was massive. The food was fine. For dessert we shared chocolate balls. They were light tasting. We had homemade lemonade and with dessert, Turkish coffee.

Service was mainly by one very busy but competent woman who was also very friendly and made us feel very at home and welcome.

At under GBP10 for the three course meal, value was fantastic.

From our early arrival it turned in to a lovely candlelit evening with piano music and singing. The whole night we were shown sincere, thoughtful hospitality that made us feel very welcome.
To use the toilet I had to go up about four storeys in the house and find my way to it. This added to the feeling that we were guests in someone's home.

Pros: Atmosphere , value, service
amsy
amsy

great!

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2010

This place is the bee's knees if you don't mind fuss free waiters and not so fancy furniture. It's quite cosy with great, hearty food. You can choose to have a 3 course meal for about £10 and bring your own booze. They have different chefs there with different menus all the time so all the more surprising when you taste the food.
You may have to share a table with others (or reserve a table)as it's not too big but very well worth it.
The restaurant is a little hidden so take a map as it's down what looks like a residential street, but very well worth the find.
Loved it totally!!

Pros: different food, homely/relaxed, cheap
Cons: small restaurant
Akane
Akane

Interesting neighborhood veg co-op

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2010

I love the idea of this place - a different chef every day and vegan Thursdays. My friend highly recommended it, but said the food is hit or miss. We went on a Tues, and it was just okay (also not very hot). It's a cozy little place in a residential neighborhood. There was a piano player that night played a lullaby for my friend's baby, which was so sweet.

Pros: co-op, cozy, inexpensive
Cons: food was just okay
hella
hella

cool

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2008

vegan is thursday and its organic! couldnt believe it... so yummy. the cook also uses food from his garden and buys from farmers market!... as for other nights? some good, some not so good...:(

spent a week trying each night. keep an eye on website and BOOK! as i couldnt get in on the thursday and ate on street.

loved weds and fridays night as well, even had an accordian player on friday.

they all change their menus often you are never sure what will be on!

rare find and its a coop!!! wow!

also amazing community gardens near by! check it out!

Pros: cool maps on ceiling, cheap, friendly
Cons: hard to find, variable, when not good, really not good
  • hella hella

forgot to say was here three weeks ago! now in berlin checking out the scene! apparently cooks change like hot dinners there!

JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Long & sweet history - loved by many of my friends

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2008

My HappyCow blog post here - http://www.happycow.net/blog/?p=145

The Bonnington Cafe is "different" - study their website before planning a visit - Google for more info - it takes time to get to know The Bonnington - if you have the patience it may well become one of your favorite places.

• JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

Look for "Anya" days - she's the raw food chef working under the name "Raw Fairies" -

RAW FAIRIES' creations are also available at Bonnington Café on the 2nd, 4th and 5th Sunday of the month (only evenings, from 6.30pm). Please check details on www.bonningtoncafe.co.uk. Please book in advance by sending an email to anya@rawfairies.com or calling 07879 246 501.

Dear Owner and Manager of Bonnington Cafe: