CLOSED: Bombay Cafe

dsparakh
dsparakh

Good choice for vegans

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

Small place with a vegan menu. Food was good though not exceptional (for example, my veggie burger was mostly a pan-fried piece of tofu) - but hey, it is a small village in Guatamala so who's complaining!). Multi-cuisine restaurant - Indian, Indonesian, burgers, etc., etc. An interesting aspect are the people who walk in as you are eating and try to sell you something, or sing songs or otherwise perform. It threw us off at first, but when we realized that it was normal in these parts, it only added to the charm of the place.

felipel
felipel

Great food, staff and customers

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

It's a cute little place with a nice assortment of dishes -- many being Vegan. Just in case you expect Indian food because of the name, there is one Indian choice.

I have eaten there maybe 6 times in the last few weeks and each time I end up in an interesting conversation with at least one of the other customers.

Pros: vegan choices, good variety, great staff
Cons: not open for breakfast
katja_3107
katja_3107

fantastic food, smoothies, juices!!!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2011

Bombay Cafe was a welcome stop during my trip to Panajachel. They had great food (I got the falafel which was the best i have ever had!) and the smoothies and fruit juices were amazingly fresh and tasty!The prices were ridiculously cheap and the service was very good.

Pros: great food, great drinks, great service

RachelMacNair
RachelMacNair

What a Find!

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

This is one of the reasons I am most grateful to have happycows.com, because knowledge of where to go in places like this can make a huge difference in the quality of the whole trip. This was a charming place, easily found, with friendly people and an all-vegetarian menu with a wide variety of options. I would have been able to go several times and get something new each time had I been staying there long. As it was, we were there only one day in June, 2009, and because we had been gone for lunch because of a tour on the lake (and we found a place that had hummus and filafel, of all things, in San Marcos), we just needed something wrapped up for supper quickly to take on the ride back to Antigua. They made it up from scratch but packaged it nicely, and I had a good hot Indian-spiced tofu and vegetable sandwich in a whole-wheat pita. An all-veg restaurant that allowed for good variety and convenience -- it added a great deal to the quality of the day and of the trip. I didn't have to put up with white bread and salad, as I did after I got to the conference in Guatemala City, but had real food, and in just the right spot. The wait there while they were fixing it was also pleasant; it's not a large place, but nice.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Vegan in Pana!

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2008

Great spot! We were surprised to find that they have a decent amount of vegan dishes which are clearly marked on the menu! You gotta love that. Try the Tofu pan sandwich or the Pepian Negra: a traditional Guatemalen dish of veggies in a sauce of cinnamon, pumpkin and sesame seeds with rice. Very good!

Pros: good vegetarian restaurant IN GUATEMALA!, Friendly service, Great atmosphere
Cons: Closed Tuesday
leonesspurr
leonesspurr

You Must Go Here!

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2007

This place ROCKS! I was so happy to find this restaurant. Their food is excellent, the staff is friendly, and the owner is super-nice.Try the seitan dinner special---it is spectacular!The portions and presentation are right-on.They even have a deicious home-made ginger ale that is to die for. The tables next to the street are charming. I can't say enough good things about this place.If you are in Pana, you don't want to miss this one.It is as good or better than anyplace I have been in the States.

Pros: Great food & ginger ale, Wonderful atmosphere, Impeccable service
Cons: Not open for breakfast

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Bombay Cafe: