REMOVED: Body Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Small cafe with a menu that is mostly vegetarian. Has raw food cuisine. Part of a spa and boutique. Removed due to poor options. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, International, Non-veg

First Review by maynard7
John Kevin
John Kevin

Good Food/Snobish Staff

3 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2011

A nice spa retreat with small retail shop and restaurant. As a visitor, this appeared to me to be a local haunt among S.F. health-conscious people. The menu was unusual and offered appetizing choices. The waitstaff and cashier all had an air of snobbery. In spite of that, it wasn't a bad meal (vegan soup with chips and salsa).

Pros: Diverse Menu
Cons: Aloof staff
greenshakti
greenshakti

• raw

No longer a place to go....

1 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

Body used to be a sweet little cafe, at one time 100% vegetarian, and then offering some fish and chicken. Now they went as far as putting baby sheep (lamb-burger) on the menu. It is no wonder why people feel sick eating there, because you may end up with pieces of lamb in your raw dish! Body is a Yoga studio also, and advertise to be a place where vegetarians can go, but do uphold this. I do not recommend supporting this place.

Cons: careless, deceitful, unconscious
Taos Vegan
Taos Vegan

Exceeded our expectations

4 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2011

Finding a place to eat vegan is hard enough, but finding raw goodies is even harder. I was looking forward to this and Body Cafe exceeded my expectations. There were so many vegan & raw options, I'm sorry that Happy Cow sees fit to only let me give it 4 stars because there are a couple of chicken & salmon items on the menu. This place really is gift to those of us to have a hard time finding a place dine out.

Granted, the dining room could use some work to enhance the ambiance. The waitstaff was competent, but not particularly inspiring, however she did steer us in the right direction, and ceased the litany of meat based specials once we advised her we were vegan. We did not get any rudeness or attitude as experienced by other reviewers.

My husband and I both had all raw dishes: starting with the "Creme" of carrot & celery soup. It was served in a small warmed bowl and was not cold, so it was a pleasant surprise. I had the enchiladas which had Green cabbage, red bell pepper, corn, red onion, chile Colorado sauce, pine nut sour cream, in a red bell pepper wrap and my husband had the pizza containing zucchini almond crust, sun-dried tomato marinara, olives, pine nut ricotta cheese, basil pesto, with salad.

For dessert, we split the raw vanilla 'cheesecake' (based on nuts) and ordered the additional coconut creme/raspberry sauce. Sublime would be an understatement.

All this came to $42 and change, along with the $8.00 tip made this a pricey lunch for our budget - but well worth it. As we travel to Santa Fe from Taos, every 6-8 weeks for shopping & errands, we will be sure to treat ourselves to this wonderful eatery again.

Pros: Great menu, Beautifully presented, Everything was delicious
Cons: Room needs work, A little pricey for lunch, Has a couple of chicken & salmon items
jbgreene28
jbgreene28

was it really vegan?

2 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2010

we were told that the muffins were vegan and the next day we were told by another server there was buttermilk in it. The food was good, but overpriced. the rice pancakes were very tasty,but they forgot the blueberries and we left hungry.

Saul.Kravitz
Saul.Kravitz

Excellent

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2010

Got there tonight just before they closed. I had a delicious "collard green burritto" -- they used a steamed or sauteed collard green instead o the tortilla. Extremely tasty. I'd go back again.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value

raysinger
raysinger

Body Cafe

4 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2010

This is the best natural foods restaurant in Santa Fe. I have been macrobiotic since 1985, and vegetarian since 1969, and have eaten in restaurants all over the USA.

I recommend this restaurant for all eaters - they also have some meat options. This is my #1 choice for eating out In Santa Fe. I have a Ph.D. in a health-related field, and serve as an expert witness in toxic chemical litigation - so I know about evidence. I think I also have pretty sound taste in food.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Cons: portions have been reduced
Dazzle59
Dazzle59

My fave restaurant in Santa Fe

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2009

I am a vegan who has lived in Santa Fe for 10 years. Despite Santa Fe's reputation of being a "new age mecca," our dining scene isn't particularly vegan-friendly. You can get an ovo-lacto vegetarian meal just about anywhere, but organic vegan is more difficult. I'm not a fan of our only vegetarian restaurant, Annapurna (I find the food expensive and bland) - but I LOVE Body Cafe! It's my go-to place for a yummy, freshly prepared meal at least once a week. Although the cafe serves organic chicken and wild salmon, its menu caters to vegetarians, vegans and raw foodists. My favorites are the raw Caesar salad, the Buckwheat Soba Noodles (with tofu, grilled vegetables and a yummy ginger sauce), and the fabulous raw vegan desserts (the strawberry mousse, blueberry mousse, chocolate ganache and apple strudel are all excellent). Body Cafe also has a nice selection of organic wines (by the glass and bottle) and organic beers. A recent change in management has resulted in better service, as well as vegan Thai dinner specials on Saturdays. Prices are a bit high but nearly everything on the menu is organic, with most produce locally grown. Portions are generous, and half-orders are available of many entrees and salads, which allows you to try more than one dish without breaking the bank. The cafe is open daily from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Here is a link for cafe information and menu: http://www.bodyofsantafe.com/body_cafe.html. Must dash - I'm off to Body Cafe for Sunday brunch!

Pros: Healthy, organic, tasty cuisine, Friendly waitstaff who remember you, Calming, Zen-like atmosphere
Cons: None!
  • Dazzle59 Dazzle59

Hi greenshakti, thanks for your note. I do agree with what you said and am bothered that there is flesh being served at Body. In fact I am bugged that there is flesh served at Whole Foods, and La Montanita, and the Farmer's Market ... I would give my eyeteeth for an organic vegan restaurant in Santa Fe. Has Annapurna reopened? Not my favorite place (I find it expensive and bland) but will try it again if they are open. I have been to the Tree House, but didn't realize it was totally veg. Blessings and thanks for the info. dazzle

• Gio Gio

Hi, in the happy body menu they have had lamb for the last year. They called it "lamburger"

• greenshakti greenshakti

Hi Dazzle:) There are two wonderful vegetarian restaurants in Santa Fe... The Tree House, and Annapurna. Both are listed here on HappyCow. If we want to support the vegan ideal, we may want to support those, rather than sending the message to baby-sheep killers that it is ok. Blessings.
    PS. your food from Body most likely is contaminated with animal products. The roots & greens was one of my faves too, but I prefer to know that there is no dead flesh in it so I make it @home now!

• Dazzle59 Dazzle59

Hi Gio - thanks for your comment. You are right - ever since the change in management last year, Body Cafe has served more animal foods (including lamb). With no veg*n restaurants in Santa Fe, though, Body remains one of the only places that serves organic raw and vegan food. The service can be unpredictable and very slow in the dining room, so I mostly order and pay at the counter and eat in the self-serve dining area. Meals are delivered to your table but you get your own water, tea, coffee etc. My new favorite entree is the Roots and Greens (steamed yams, kale and marinated tempeh with ginger sauce). Best regards - dazzle

cynthiaab
cynthiaab

• raw

Raw Menu Items

2 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2008

I've eaten many of their raw food dishes and every time i do my stomach gets upset. It is not because i'm not used to the raw foods. I will not take a chance on them again.

Pros: atmosphere, nice owner, clean
Cons: raw food menu
ahaus829
ahaus829

Expensive food, snotty waitstaff

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2007

But the food is quite good. Try the raw dishes, even if that's not your thing. We would come here every so often and really enjoy the food, but our bill and the lack of service would keep us away for the next while.

Pros: Raw food, Organic
Cons: Over-priced, Snotty waitstaff
maynard7
maynard7

A great healthy choice in Santa Fe

4 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2007

Although it's not 100% vegetarian, it's probably 95%, and the food is very good and healthy. I warmly recommend this place. They have a huge menu with items in all price ranges. Wraps are $6.50, entrees $8.95 and raw entrees $10.50. I had the raw Pad Thai, which was good, although not really similar to Pad Thai which you would get in Thailand. Open 7 days from 7am to 9pm. The restaurant is located inside the "Body" building on Cordova near the corner of Don Diego Avnue.

Pros: Extensive menu, Mostly vegetarian, Something for everyone
Cons: Parking difficult, Limited table service

Dear Owner and Manager of REMOVED: Body Cafe: