Bodhi Tree Vegetarian Cafe

Vegan restaurant 3 blocks from the pier. Offers an extensive menu including a range of Asian dishes using mockmeats. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Chinese, Asian, Take-out

First Review by juliotnunes
VeggiePattie
VeggiePattie

terrible pad thai

2 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

I had the worst pad thai ever. The noodles were so overlooked they are sticky and falling apart, like the Ly had been reheated over and over again. I had two bites and shared with my waiter and they neither offered to bring another dish nor take it off of my bill. Had they done that, I would be willing to give them a second chance. Save your money, there are much better options for vegan Asian cuisine in Orange County.

Cons: bad food, bad service, expensive
DrewAnne
DrewAnne

Great Food!

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

I ate there last wednesday and the food is great, the "fake" meat was very cool. Also the fact that it is completly VEGAN really satisified me! definatly returning!

Pros: fast service, yummy food, friendly
Cons: bathroom
biodcel
biodcel

Really good food

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

I've been coming here for years, the food is delicious and very nice service. The desserts are good like the bread pudding. Noodle soups very large and satisfyIng.

Pros: Vegan, Relatively fast service, Varied menu Choices
Cons: None , None, None
lnmagnee
lnmagnee

Lunch by the Beach

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

The waitress was friendly, but a little hard to understand. I ordered fried rice with tofu and sesame walnut sauce and a jackfruit smoothie. The bathroom was in a hallway shared with other businesses. You need a key to open the bathroom, but another person with a key can open the door after you're inside.

Pros: all vegan, good location
Cons: shared bathroom
erp
erp

fresh veggies, so-so mock meat

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

The fresh spring rolls are light and delicous though the rice paper wrapper is a bit thick and tough. Comes with a tasty dipping sauce. I ordered a salad topped with "chicken". While the salad veggies were crisp and fresh the mock meat was dry and bland. The chicken didn't add anything to the salad in fact it was more of a detractor. The prices are moderate. My appetizer and salad were less than $20 for lunch.

Pros: good variety
Cons: too much fake meat, repetitous flavors/ingredients
FinalTwilight
FinalTwilight

Pretty Good

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2009

I haven't been here very much, so keep that in mind. I've had the spring rolls appetizer, the spicy chicken baguette sandwich, and--i forget the exact name-- but some grilled fish wraps that's like $15 or something, a big dish i split with someone else. Oh, also the pineapple smoothie with boba :) And that drink has whipped cream on it that is the best vegan whipped cream I've ever had. So, those things are all really, really good. Like, really good. I've had part of some pork dish that wasn't that good-- I think most vegan dishes are better with "chicken," seems the easiest to pull off. Though those grilled fish wraps here are REALLY good too.

So, I think there's probably a number of things here that aren't super good, but the items I listed above are definitely good and worthwhile. Oh, and cheap :) The sandwhich is like $5.50, and it's quite enough food, I think. And you can split those grilled fish wraps with someone so that's like $7.50. Really, really good food for the price.

As for the place itself, the restaurant is nothing that special, just kind of a room with some tables, but the whole front of it is windows, so at least there's a lot of light. And it's in downtown Huntington Beach, right by the pier, so you can go be social outside on weekends or walk to the beach/pier. Pretty nice location for a little vegan place.

Though, some of the drinks in the drinks case are not completely vegan, so... I'm not 100% sure if they're more on top of that as far as cooking ingredients go. I have not inquired.

Pros: food mostly cheap, the good items are very good, location good
Cons: atmosphere inside not that great
spidey
spidey

good place

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2009

I tried bodhi tree a few years back when i was working in lab on the weekend and i got someone to bring me back food from here and it was really good.....unfortunately it took me like 2 years to actually make it to the restaurant itself and have dinner there a few weeks back with two of my friends. The food itself is very very good, i started with a roll appetizer and it was delicious...but i have to say that when i got my main dish, it was literally the size of my appetizer...again i wasnt expecting a huge plate but i think for the prize its definitely a bit small. But then again they are in dowtown HB and im sure its what they have to do to survive. In terms of the food it was definitely delicious and both my friends enjoyed it as well. Give it a try if you are around and if you can find parking.

Pros: good food, relaxed environment
Cons: prize/portion, parking
miss-mischief420
miss-mischief420

Winner winner

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2009

Why go anywhere else?! Variety, service, desserts... The shrip rolls. The lunch specials! The ginger candy!! The dishes are all good, I've had almost all.

A word of caution...this place is popular. Service can be slow at busy times so plan accordingly. Also, due to location, parking is a you-know-what. If you're not a local and don't know where to park...become a local or order to go.

Pros: price, variety, menu
Cons: location, service, slow
Kyle
Kyle

Delicious, authentic, and 100% vegan

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2009

I had dinner here a little while ago and I was very surprised at how good everything was. I have been to one other Vietnamese Vegetarian restaurant but this place is much better in my opinion. Most of the food here is Vietnamese (and it is all very authentic). My only complaint was that it was kind of expensive (for dinner at least), but next time I come here it's going to be at lunch so I can get the $6 lunch special.

Normally I don't like faux meats (and they usually give me a stomach ache), but I saw a lot of positive reviews on the lemon "chicken" so I decided to try it, and it was amazing. The "beef" pho was very good, too.

Oh and everything here is 100% vegan (it clearly says so on the back of the menu).

Pros: 100% vegan, big menu, nice atmosphere
Cons: somewhat expensive (for dinner)
kittyque
kittyque

Fabulous

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

The food was excellent, delicious, home made and very fresh. Friendly staff. It was an amazing value. I will go back whenever we're in the neighborhood.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly staff, 100% vegan
Andrealv
Andrealv

Lemon Chicken

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2008

I used to have to wait until I went to San Francisco to have lemon chicken at Golden Era. The lemon chicken here is deep fried and not exactly healthy, but sooo good! I have been here several times and have liked everything I tried, with the exception of the pad thai, which was very different than what I am used to pad thai being like.

I too have been overcharged on the bill. I have had them charge more than what it says on the menu then argue with me when I pointed out the price on the menu! But besides that, it's a good place to go. Their lunch special is a good deal. Just look closely at your bill. I don't usually, but I know I have to when I eat here.

Pros: lemon chicken
Cons: overcharging, parking
val
val

Good vegan restaurant, but beware ....

3 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2008

I love the Bodhi Tree Cafe. Their food is VEGAN not just vegetarian. No animal products are used in any of their foods. My favorite dish is the Fried Fish with lemongrass. They also have a delicious sizzling pot of mixed vegetables, tofu and rice (I forget the exact name). Their thai iced teas are yummy too, and if you like boba, the boba thai iced tea is good too. The only thing I didn't like was the wontons (appetizer) that looked nothing like wontons, but tasted really good. I guess I was expecting it to look a little like wontons. Their fried calamari is unbelievably "calamari-like" but totally guilt free as no animal was harmed in making that dish!

Update: I wrote the above review a couple months ago. Since then I've been to the Bodhi Tree several times, and I've noticed one thing every single time: They hand write their bill and frequently make "mistakes". They've either overcharged me for drinks I didn't order or double portions of rice that I didn't order. This has happened several times. When I point out that there are more items on the bill than what I ordered, they say that it was a mistake and remove the item but the tax remains the same. I know it sounds like I'm being petty but when it happens a few times in a row, it makes me wonder if they are doing it on purpose. I'll still go there for now because the food is good, but I don't know if I will keep on going if they keep billing me for food I didn't order.

Pros: Good vegan food, Reasonable prices, Good location
Cons: Woman server is unpleasant, Over billed for food several times, Is their whipped cream vegan ?
Heroelux
Heroelux

Lemon Chicken!

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2008

Every time I go to the Beach, or am remotely close to HB, I come here. They have a huge menu and everything is delicious. I highly recommend their Lemon Chicken. They have great desserts as well.

Pros: Big Menu, Decent Priced, Iced Tea
Cons: not a lot of seating
KaseyB
KaseyB

My favorite vegan place

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2007

Everything on the menu is delicious. No joke. I have become quite the regular at Bodhi tree because their prices are great and the food is amazing.

If you are cautious, go during lunch for their lunch special, which includes soup, rice, noodles and a dish of your choice for $6.

The service is outstanding, they are very friendly and knowledgeable about their food.

Pros: great prices, great food, great service
Cons: it's downtown HB
hcatloved
hcatloved

just ok

3 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2007

i got the yellow noodles when i went there, and the food was ok. i didn't really like the soy meats. the service was not so good. our waitress only really seemed to be attentive to the men who went into the restaurant..

Pros: cheap
Cons: service, so so food
juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Bodhi

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2007

Very friendly staff and lots of food to chose from. Very tasty. Would go back again. Sit down restaurant and felt cozy.

Dear Owner and Manager of Bodhi Tree Vegetarian Cafe: