Bodhi Choi Heung

Offerings such as curry sang kung, gluten, Szechuan bean curd skin rolls. Try the Buddhist style veggie stews and stir-frys. Staff always ready with suggestions. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by philjdomm
mcgyver68
mcgyver68

A mixed experience

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2012

I decided to try Bodhi Choi for dinner last night. I arrived just past 8pm. There was only one couple inside and they were getting ready to go. I saw no posted hours and when I entered the lady at the front end seemed surprised. I asked "are you still open? I never got a straight answer, just a suggestion: "this is to go, right?" I can take a hint, the only thing worse than being alone for dinner out, is being the last guy in the place too. So to-go, it was.

I ordered some fried oyster mushrooms with a gluten type stir fry. The waitress said it came with mixed vegetables and broccoli. I asked if they could prepare it with Gai Lan, which is a Chinese style broccoli that I am partial too. She seemed very surprised that I knew what that was let alone asking for it.

Sometimes I think I startle people at these places, especially if it is after work like last night. I'm a fairly big guy, work clothes and steel toe boots. Due to my status with the rental car companies, I always have some high performance car sitting out front. Guess I must look like I'm lost, more often than not the first thing out of their mouth is "you, umm, know this is vegetarian, right? It has no meat." It must just be a weird sight.

Anyway, we got past those formalities and I was offered some hot tea while I waited. The food came pretty quick and I promptly took it back to my hotel room, 45km away in Surrey.

The fried mushrooms were unfortunately soaked through with oil. I put them on a napkin and in a few minutes it looked like the Exxon Valdez had parked on my desk. I *think* maybe they were shutting down for the night and had to re-heat the oil real quick. I wouldn't be surprised. Could only manage to eat a couple of them. Probably shouldn't have done that.

The dish was OK, but bland, most Buddhist places won't use onion or garlic at all, should have asked for some chili sauce. But the Gai Lan was perfect, fresh and crunchy, so they got the job done.

Leaning towards 3 stars, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that I came at the wrong time. An hour earlier probably would have been a 4 star report. I will try them again one day.

Pros: Real Chinese vegetables, Nice staff
Cons: Way too greasy, could use more spice
hsandmb
hsandmb

Worthy of Many Repeat Visits

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

This place is incredible. We drove up from Bellingham looking for a great vegetarian foodie experience and totally found it in Bodhi Choi Heung. The food is served in the authentic "family style" fashion typical of many traditional Chinese restaurants, which appealed to me considering that my mother is Chinese, and the staff made us feel very much at home. The menu is huge, the prices were great, and there were choices suitable for any person looking for a non meat-based culinary adventure. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to any of my vegetarian friends - and those who dabble in the realm of eating hearty yet healthy.

Pros: great taste, large menu, welcoming
scocasso
scocasso

Good Chinese Veggie Food

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2009

The same family had a restaurant in a really BAD part of town near Main and Hastings called Bodhi. It was great food though, and when I started eating vegan food, it was one of the few places to get good cheap vegan food. For $18 I'd STUFF myself with a dinner for two. It was great. I was sad when it closed, but happy when another reopened by the same family in a better neighbourhood. I always thought their vegetarian duck was really interesting (taro rolled in soymilk skin). I still go here at least a couple times per year (remember, Chinese restaurants are closed on Tuesdays). I always go at non-busy times, so haven't had any probs with service etc. Really good tasty food. Similar to other vegetarian Chinese food, but different.

Little video on it here:

Pros: Tasty, Reasonable Prices, Good friendly service
Cons: Not on my regular travel routes
Hydrargyrum
Hydrargyrum

Tofu and mushrooms! Hurray!

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2008

This is the best restaurant I've tried in Vancouver so far. The food is delicious, and you get a good value. Four of us ate dinner for $26. There are well over a hundred things on the menu, so it's hard to choose. The atmosphere is nice, too. It's clean and the staff are friendly. Unfortunately, it got a little crowded toward the end of my meal when two large noisy families came in for dinner. It's kind of got an open layout rather than partitions like most restaurants have.

Anyhow, if you like tofu, this is the place to eat. They cook tofu very well here. Also, it's a great place to eat if you like mushrooms, they put all of the good ones in your food, like enoki and shiitake and oyster, and those black and white fungi that aren't technically mushrooms at all but they're still tasty.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Great value
Cons: Noisy
philjdomm
philjdomm

not so impressed

2 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2008

another mock food chinese restaurant. what's the point when i'm vegan. defeats the pupose of veganism! too far for my taste.

Guest
Guest

Great variety, excellent taste and inexpensive

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2007

We go to Bodhi Choi weekly and have never been disappointed. We end out comparing other Vegetarian restaurants to Bodhi Choi and the variety, taste and prices surpass any other place we try. The set menus are an excellent way to try numerous different dishes and figure out which you like best. The Spencers.

Pros: great menu, affordable, nice staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Bodhi Choi Heung: