Boca Fiesta

Serves meat, veg options available. Located in the Sun Center, this tex-mex food offers veg choices for burritos and tacos, such as tempeh, tofu, textured vegetable protein, and vegan queso. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by aadams1217
ashfnm
ashfnm

Casual, Fun Restaurant and Bar

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

I've been eating here ever since it opened a few years ago. The vegan options are great and the vegan queso they make is really quite good. I love their hot sauces, the guacamole and the fresh veggie tacos. They have a vegan breakfast burrito on the weekends too. This is a great place to go for the night - have dinner on the porch under the string lights and then stay for drinks, music, ping pong or pool on the back porch. Service is friendly but can be slow so relax, order a beer and settle in for the long haul here.

Pros: good vegan options, great atmosphere, good prices
Cons: can be slow
RachaelSera
RachaelSera

Hearty and Delicious! 5 Stars!

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

They have 4 vegetarian filling options, and they're easily converted to vegan by eliminating the cheese or subbing it for the vegan queso (but, be warned, the queso has quite a kick to it, so subbing it in makes them quite spicy). And there was no upcharge for the substitution! They also had a raw taco, that I hadn't noticed on their online menu, that contained vegan cashew cheese. Fyi, the veggies in the "Stir Fry" option were cabbage, onions, and carrots.

I tried the TVP burrito and the Tempeh burrito and subbed the vegan queso for the cheese in both. Also got the beans and rice. Both of the burritos I tried (the TVP and Tempeh) were super, super delicious!

TVP-Ground beef style
The TVP was seasoned just like what I imagine spicy taco meat to be like (it made me think of a chili-cheese burrito). It was extra spicy because of the queso, but I was informed that it's still a bit spicy on its own as well. It was filled with lettuce, tomato, onion, whole black beans, and rice (and a TON of the TVP--it was overflowing). I think I will be dreaming about that TVP until I go back there. I love places that offer hearty, flavorful, meat-substitute options.

Tempeh--w/acovado
The Tempeh had a great flavor as well. The texture of the tempeh wasn't overly apparent, but it did add a great flavor (and the flavor was distinctly different from the TVP), but the tempeh wasn't overflowing like the TVP was. The avocado isn't incredibly prevalent either; everything kind of melds together inside. So if you're dying for some guac, I'd suggest ordering an appetizer of it. I was told that the Tempeh is not spicy on its own (but it was quite spicy because of the queso). It, too, was filled with lettuce, tomato, onion, whole black beans, and rice.

The black beans and rice (side) were very good as well. They had your usual south-of-the-border type flavors (cilantro, etc.), but the preparation was unique, because the beans were whole black beans, and the rice wasn't Spanish rice. They were very tasty. They appear to be the same whole beans and rice that are in the entrees. I really enjoyed the chips and salsa, too. The chips were super thin, crunchy, and not salty. The salsa was slightly fruity.

The potions were quite filling, too. The two of us got 2 burritos and 2 sides and were completely stuffed (with leftovers).

The service was great, too! They are very veg friendly!

Pros: vegan-friendly, hearty, quality
  • RachaelSera RachaelSera

Just wanted to update that I was there again recently and they had a vegan tempeh empanada on the menu that I don't believe was there before. It was spicy! But delicious! (and vegan!)

aadams1217
aadams1217

• non-vegetarian

De-lish-us

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2010

I'd heard of this place before and knew it had an indie reputation and offered some vegan plates.

Let me just say that I'm so so glad that I went even though I didn't know much about the restaurant beforehand.

The ambience is casual and everyone is chatting and having a good ol' time. The service is relaxed but good. I would say that if you go here, don't expect speedy, push-button service like any other chain restaurant. The servers all help each other out and give you plenty of time to take in the ambience, talk to your friends and enjoy the amazing food.

I ordered a tempeh burrito with veggies, avocado and vegan cheese. I was so pleased to see vegan cheese offered on the menu. Everything tasted wonderful. I will definitely be going back.

Pros: tasty, fun, relaxed

Dear Owner and Manager of Boca Fiesta: