CLOSED: Bob Trollop's

Serves meat, veg options available. Previously 100% vegetarian restaurant, but now serves meat in addition to the 7 main vegetarian menu. Drinks available include non-veggie beer, and non-veg wines. All dishes home made using local produce. Allows groups to hold free bi-monthly mid-week evening meetings in the back bar. NOTE: JAN 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED by happycow members. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie
newcastlevegan
newcastlevegan

its gone for good

1 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

Bob trollops is no more.
The new owners have refurbished and its now part of the Red House. The food is all pie n mash now and I could not see any veggie options at all

221B
221B

Character & Charm

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

I've visited Bob Trollops on more than one occasion and agree that the experience does tend to vary, I'm actually not completely positive it's still open. However, what it does always provide, or has done for me, is real warm, filling, pub food; it completely negates any stereotypes about vegetarian food and I find it's a great place to take non-veg friends and family. I've taken a number of non-veg friends who have tried a veg alternative even when Bob Trollops has offered non-veg meals from the conjoining pub next door. Apart from that, the location and the building itself are lovely, near the quayside where there's a lot happening and it's not too much of a trek away, lots of art galleries nearby also. The building is like something built by Tim Burton and described by Roald Dahl, so much character about it and a little bit dark. For me, the food has always been good and the staff have always been delightful, hopefully this hasn't changed.

Pros: Location, Character, Tasty Food
Cons: Varies, Difficult for vegans
TheVeggieBlog
TheVeggieBlog

Not the same

2 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

I visited Bob Trollop's back in the autumn last year, whilst staying in Newcastle with my sister. I reviewed it on my blog, I really enjoyed my meal, it was great veggie pub grub. However, I visited just last week on a Sunday and was really disappointed. The menu was no longer vegetarian only, had no vegan dishes labelled, the building seemed run down and atmosphere was just not the same. I had to ask what could be suitable for a vegan, which seemed like a bother to the staff. I ended up having a veggie burger, it was fine, but it wasn't what I was expecting from Bob Trollop's. I was so impressed with them back in the autumn. This is such a shame as I'd previously given such a great review.

Pros: Five veggie options, Quick service, Cheap
Cons: No vegan dishes labelled, Building run down, Bad atmosphere

SandraR
SandraR

Dissapointed and horrified

1 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2012

Bob Trollops has gone from bad to worse lately. Over the last year Ive tried a few times to get a vegan meal.
First they started to close the kitchens really early and a number of customers were complaining when I arrived, on the 1st occassion, as we were unable to order food. I tried again another time after being informed the new owners were now serving in the evening again, but again customers were moaning at the bat as the kitchen has closed.
On my last visit the kitchens were open but meat was on the menu. I did of course complain to the staff and was told the manager thought it was daft the veggies & meat eaters couldn't set together when eating.
Sadly Bobs has had a hard time over recent years with the original owners going bust and then a few different firms owning the company. Many of the regulars have been put off with issues in getting food and the place is looking really scruffy lately.

Cons: nolonger veggie, vegan options reduced, no veggie beers or wines
cprisacariu
cprisacariu

Uau! Vegetarian authentic English pub

5 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2011

This restaurant/pub has a nice atmosphere. The vegetarian food was very good.

Friendly staff. And good location.

Has local ales and many other beers and drinks.

What more could one want. Aa! It is also not much difference in prices from other restaurants, i.e., not too expensive. (But also not cheep like take-away and not too extravagant)
What the hack, it is an English pub where one can eat vegetarian and good food.

The perfect place.

Pros: local ales, english pub, nice staff
Cons: none
Caryne
Caryne

Great veggie pub grub

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

Firstly it's not really a 100% veggie pub as this place is two pubs in one, one serves the veggie food and the other side the meat. This obviously means that the kitchen is not 100% veggie and I think people need to be aware of this.
However, the food is briliant. Lots of choice for vegans for both starters and mains sadly no vegan dessert (except soya ice cream) but overall I was really impressed with the place. I had Mushrooms on Garlic Bread for Stater (vegan) and my husband had deep fried brie (vegetarian). Both were very tasty and the only complaint is both were served on side plates and the large portions kept falling off as we tried to eat it! For main I had a veggie curry, very tasty and as the Naan Bread wasn't vegan(at least they knew) I had chips as well as rice. My husband had a veggie lasagne.
This place has real character and friendly staff and I recommend it for anyone needing to eat cheap and cheerful pub grub in a very convenient location of Newcastle.

Pros: Good value, Good vegan starters/mains, Interesting Decor
Cons: Not a veggie kitchen, Small plates for starters, Lack of vegan desserts
trinitybourne
trinitybourne

Welcomed haven in Newcastle

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

As a vegan myself, meeting up with family (who are not veggie) this was a wonderful and very welcomed eating place in the city with something for everyone. Pub food and ample choice available. We had a great time happy. The pub had real character and great service. I really appreciate the authenticity and unpretentious energy.

If you are looking for something posh and fancy this probably isn't the place for you - but if you want good sized home cooked veggie and vegan food I can totally recommend it. We would be happy to return.

Pros: Good value, good choice, tasty food
lastx
lastx

Great pub food and unique building

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2010

I'm vegan and I went here with my friend and her daughter (who are both omni) for lunch and we were all delighted we did. The food is basic in style but eminently edible and the portions are large and excellent value for money. Vegan options are extensive and are well highlighted on the menu. The building is highly unusual - very old-fashioned and full of nooks and crannies. Very atmospheric. In all, refreshing to find and well worth a visit.

Pros: Great value for money, Good pub-grub, Atmospheric
Cons: A bit dark inside
hack_man
hack_man

Cheese Fest

2 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

Great to see a typical British pub doing 100% vegetarian food but there is a strong element of cheese and eggs here. It's a bit dingy and smelly as being on the bustling quayside of Newcastle it gets frequented by hundreds of party revellers each weekend. The food I would describe as being pub grub a la veggie. You know the score: bangers and mash, sunday roast, lasagne, jackets tats, macaroni cheese, omelette etc. If you're a veggie, then give it a go - it'd be rude not to.

Cons: dingy, poor beer, too much dairy
Alyson
Alyson

Hearty food

4 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2009

Ate here with my vegan Mum for family visit to city. Had food in evening (serves till 7pm I think) and she ate here one lunchtime on her own too when I had left. Food is hearty and tasty, although they didn't have our first choice of meals.

Pros: vegetarian, informal, tasty
NorthernSeafox
NorthernSeafox

Better than it used to be

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2008

First went here about 4 years ago and was disappointed - the menu was very limited and there was nowhere smoke-free to sit. Went back a year ago (post smoking ban) and was much more impressed - large plates of food at very reasonable prices and plenty for vegans. Like others have said, they should extend the serving hours. It isn't true that this is Britain's best pub for veggie food though - 'The George' in Brighton wins that title hands down.

Pros: Great value, Location, Good honest vegan pub grub
Cons: Limited opening hours, Could have better choice of beer, Shame it isn't bigger
khb
khb

Decent food, but skip the puddings

3 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

The cashew nut burger and the bangers and mash were both pretty good, but nothing special. Prices are low, and vegan dishes are marked on the menu. But they don't have soya ice cream or custard, and the only vegan pudding - the apple crumble - was gluey and flavorless. Still, for 1.50, it was worth a shot.

Pros: veggie pub food, low prices
Cons: no decent vegan pudding, don't serve food at dinnertime
MrFalafel
MrFalafel

Excellent brunch

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2008

Quite possibly the best veg breakfast i've ever had. MrsFalafel wasn't too keen on her lasagna, however. Vegetarian beers are available in bottles.

Pros: Veg pub food, Lots for vegans
Cons: Stop serving food too early
Stevie
Stevie

Bob Trollops - Newcastle upon Tyne

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2007

Bob's is part of a complex of 2 pubs side by side run by the same people; one of the pubs (Bob's) has a 100% vegetarian food menu while the other isn't geared towards the veggie market. Bob's is well established and has won national awards in the vegetarian pub food category. They boldly claim to serve, "the best vegetarian pub food in the country (probably)". I certainly haven't seen a better choice of veggie pub food on offer anywhere else so far.

The location is very central in The Quayside pretty much right below the Tyne bridge. The menu has a wide selection of choice. There is now a decent selection of offerings for vegan vegetarians and they are clearly marked on this menu.

It's a shame that for a vegetarian eating place they let themselves down by selling non vegetarian beer. It's also a shame that they stop serving food so early.

Pros: Fairly wide choice menu, Vegan veggie items marked
Cons: No evening food

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Bob Trollop's: