A small cafeteria style eatery in the corner of a shopping plaza, originally Bo De Tinh Tam Chay but switched to a smaller, separate entity and kept only the "Bo De" in its name. Vegetarian/vegan Vietnamese cuisine. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Buddhist, Take-out

First Review by Stardust
chobesoy
chobesoy

• herbivore

bustling, charming place, great food with a smile

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2014

A little gem that is easy to miss sandwiched between two shopping plazas, this place serves plenty of customers especially during the lunch hour. The front counter has combo specials available for take out, veggies and an assortment of mock meats, or you can grab a seat where the owner David will likely drop by to say hello and check in on you to see if everything is to your liking :) Super friendly, we sat down with him as the crowd died down a bit and he took a breather to chat with us about how he ended up buying the place as the original Bo De Tinh Tam Chay outgrew the location.
I'm always on the lookout for a good veggie soup, and I was very pleased with my order. My carnivorous date also enjoyed his meal, which is always a plus. We both ate everything in front of us, including a sample that David had brought us to try. No doubt everything there is just as well made and tasty as what we had, but the real gem is the effort they are making to have an asian establishment that not only treats its customers well, but also its staff. It's typical for an asian place to have delicious food but horrible service and miserable workers, but since David is trying to reverse all this, the food is all the better.

Pros: friendly, homey, delicious, authentic, affordable
Craig N
Craig N

favorite vegan Vietnamese restaurant

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

While we enthusiastically try new vegetarian/vegan Asian restuaurants, by far this is our favorite Vietnamese/Southeast Asian vegetarian/vegan restaurant. We always come back to Bo De.

Even though I am an anesthesiologist, nutrition is my passion these days. One of the big plusses to this place is that since under new ownership, they are very open to working with our requests of less salt, oils and no fake meats. Isolated plant protein are not healthy, i.e. soy chicken, ham, beef, etc... Bo De is more than happy to substitute more vegetables for the fake "meats." This is a win win situation because it is healthier for us and less expensive for them. The fake meats come all the way from Taiwan and are quite expensive.

The new (part) owner David, caucasian Catholic guy with the shaved head, is very friendly and has done a few minor changes to make this place more presentable. They are trying to attract the dinner crowd. Students from kindergarden to college can get a free meal if they bring in a perfect report card. David has asked my kids if their report cards are perfect. I appreciate the fact that he has gone out of his way to reenforce the importance of education to my young children.

We ALWAYS eat here and always order the Bo Bia or Jicama rolls. They are even tastier than their meat containing counterparts. We also get requests to bring these rolls to parties and potlucks. They are even a big hit with my carnivorous friends. Because we eat so much of these rolls other family members now order the Bi Cuon or Imitation pork skin spring rolls for a change of taste.. The toasted rice has a wonderful flavor.

We also like their hot pots, especially with more veggies and no fake meats. One can even ask for the different broths with different vegetable platter combo. I like the thai broth with the "combo" veggy platter. The broth is a bit too spicy for the kids. Their "egg" or yellow noodle soup dishes (with more veggies and no fake meats)are also very good.

Bottom line, this was once a little hole in the wall that serves the best vegan Bo Bia and Bi Cuong rolls around. Both rolls are better than their meat containing counterparts. We also like their hot pots. They are more than happy to substitute the fake meats for more vegetables. Lastly, they no longer charge for ice water.

Pros: great food, willing to substitute more veggies
Cons: bathrooms are substandard
H
H

Awfully Rude

2 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

Before I even ordered the man behind the counter had a really bad attitude towards me. I had eaten her once before and the food was ok, mediocre at best, but this time the service was so rude that I just left.

[edit by staff]

Cons: Guy working there a total jerk., Mediocre food., Hard to find.
westcornersville
westcornersville

Big Selection, Improved Service

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2011

I've been to this restaurant several times, and when I went recently, their service improved (had a good waiter this time), versus before when they'd sometimes close early, run out of a lot of menu items, etc. Anyway, they've got a big selection--I have a menu with me and can count 84 entrees and 12 appetizers! They have pho (noodle soups) and other soups, bun (vermicelli dishes), hot pots, rice dishes, noodle dishes, porridge, mixed veggie dishes, salad entrees and specialties. More than half their dishes have mock meats. Lots of beverages, though no alcohol. I think their food tastes pretty good (and, of course, they have all the main Vietnamese sauces, minus the fish sauce, at each table for extra spicing), and it's cheap. Worth a try--it's at the west end of the mini mall--wasn't ever too hard for me to find. They do still charge 50 cents for tap water, so remember to bring your own water!

Pros: huge menu, tasty, cheap
Cons: not too much atmosphere, still charge for tap water
Shalex4
Shalex4

Meh...

2 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2010

This resturant is O.K. For the price the portions are good, though they charge for water. Its a nice atmosphere and it is clean. The food is not great. I went there w/ a group of 6 people and none of us were blown away by the flavor. It isn't gross or anything, but there are so many other great vegan asian restruants near by it doesn't make me want to go back.

malcontent
malcontent

Pretty good

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2009

Look for the waiter statute that's outside of the restaurant when you're driving along the side of the mall in the parking lot. I came here craving for pho but their duck noodle dish turned out to be wheat noodle instead of rice noodle in what is like a wonton soup stock. They seem to have very few noodle soup dishes. However, their other dishes aren't bad at all. I went back just a few days ago for some shedded tofu and broken rice and it was extremely tasty.

Pros: Quick, Authentic
Cons: hard to find
Guest
Guest

One of my favorite Vietnamese joints

5 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2009

I had a bit of trouble finding this place at first, but I'm glad I did. It's joined together with a few other places, right by the mall, and is tucked away inside a large cafeteria-style room. I usually can't place an order there without getting the dumplings, which are always cooked just right and have massive amounts of flavor. The ginger chicken comes in a soupy-type style that has a lot of kick to it. But my favorite dish is the bamboo with chili and little slices of fake meat - I wish I could remember the name of it from the menu. All the food is good but that gets me every time. I highly recommend this place, especially if you are looking for a wide variety of flavors for decent prices.

Pros: huge variety, good prices
Cons: insane parking on weekends, hidden
seeUsoon
seeUsoon

Hidden Goodness Vegan

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2008

This restaurant is hidden from the main Bolsa Ave in Little Saigon. However is it across the popular mall in L.Saigon. You will find it once you get into the driveway parking lot. My husband and I must have tried all Vege food in the area... So far this one is my favorite. It's very casual with a friendly atmosphere. The food stays true to Vietnamese tradition. It's not americanized. I'm not a fan of mock meat but the way Bo De prepare their food just took me by surprised. You also find dishes without the processed stuff... They don't over use it as other restaurants and you always get lots of fresh vegetables with all your dishes. My favorites are the rice noodle soup and the broken rice dish. The smoothies are below $3 and tastes like they used fresh fruits... You get a lot of food for what you paid... Very affordable... noodle soups are mostly below $7 and most dishes are below $8... There are also already cooked food you can get to go in hot trays, less than $3 per items... Great deal and fresh food. Ignore the casual look of the restaurant b/c the food will stand out.. I love it!

Pros: vegan, tasteful, affordable
Cons: little english, hidden
Stardust
Stardust

Nice Casual Restaurant

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2007

This restaurant is very casual, fast food type. The food is very affordable. I especially love their noodle soups, like the "bun rieu" or "bun bon kho." If you are near the Little Saigon area and want a quick good vegie meal, this restaurant is a good one.

Pros: affordable prices, quick service
Cons: could be cleaner, noisy, crowded parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Bo De: