Bo De Tinh Tam Chay - Beach...

Vietnamese vegetarian food restaurant. This is its second and larger location. Features extensive food and beverage menus. Nice Asian bamboo decor. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Vietnamese, Buddhist, Take-out, Catering
15352 Beach Blvd (McFadden Ave, in Orange County)
Westminster, California 92683

chobesoy

• herbivore

At the top of my list!

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2013

This veggie oasis jumped right to the top of my list of veggie joints from the first day. Yes, it's an asian restaurant, so you have to immediately dismiss any factors on service. With luck, you'll get a waiter who is nice and speaks english, but really, authenticity is usually negatively correlated with customer service and english is bonus. Just bring a friend who can speak the language if it's a huge concern.
That out of the way, the 50 cent charge for water didn't phase us. I think everywhere should, and it would hopefully remind us it's not an unlimited resource. Since the portions are huge, just see it as a price for the food.
As for the food, I couldn't order enough. It's veggie, it's delicious, it's great vietnamese food (with a few pan-asian items). The best sign is I saw monks happily eating here or getting take outs and that usually makes my day. Go with a large party and share as much as you can. The birds nests seem especially popular as they were on most of the tables that I could see. I loved the soups I've had there as I'm always on a quest to get good veggie soup,(we've tried the noodle soups, wonton soup, mixed mock seafood and meats soup), and very importantly, non-herbivores are pleasantly surprised at how much they enjoy the mock meats. Yes, there are people out there who are not fans, but the beef was complimented and mentioned as a favorite. If you prefer the tofu and not-mock type of proteins, they have them here as well. Lots of vegetables, everything was delicious and fresh. Sad to see the comment below about MSG since I usually don't care for it, but if they do indeed use it, I couldn't tell so maybe it really was just a little. I'm usually crazy thirsty if it's in there. I'm a bit surprised though, since popular-with-buddhists places usually don't add enhancers like that. Hopefully that was only in a few dishes or they decided not to continue using it?
That said, get an assortment of appetizers, main dishes and if you're up to it, some of the colorful sweets at the counter to end your meal, and again, bring others with you or just order a ton to take home. The prices were very reasonable and we all had leftovers to take home. The ambiance is great, it's always packed with folks, and omni/carnivores will be fed to the brim as well. Lucky for me, my last visit had friendly staff who got by just fine in english, so don't let the gamble stop you from what will definitely be a great and satisfying meal.

Pros: large shareable portions, delicious, huge selection
Cons: sometimes pretty packed
VeggiePattie
VeggiePattie

amazing

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

This place is absolutely amazing. Every dish you get is sure to please. I've had my meat eating friends try it and they have all been so pleased. It is truly a hidden gem in the middle of some strip mall in Westminster.

Pros: price, variety, quality
Cons: parking
jerseygirl58
jerseygirl58

• raw

too many drawbacks

2 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

I rarely review restaurants. However, since I feel safe when patronizing a Happy Cow restaurant and had several bad experiences in one visit, I felt inclined to tell my story. Poor service is not unusual;I became quite thirsty since my waiter left me alone for quite a long time and eventually went up to the counter and got in their face for more water. But when I felt that strange slightly paralytic sensation I get when I have ingested MSG, I decided I needed to review this restaurant and warn Happy cow people who may have very strong opinions about MSG. When I politely mentioned the MSG to the hostess, I am pleased to say that she admitted that they do use "a little" MSG. This is disappointing because these days MSG in Asian restaurants is much less common; My hope would be that with real Vietnamese in the kitchen, perhaps even experienced vegetarian/Buddhist cooks, that good flavor might be obtained without MSG use, sadly, not so here. Another unpleasantness was likely a condition difficult for the owner to remedy. My table was near the back and halfway through my meal i began to smell an unpleasant bathroom smell. Any of these things alone would have been OK but I was hoping to take a vegetrian friend here, now I will find another restaurant. Too bad. Nice try, BDTTC, but too many black marks. Try harder and challenge your cooks to get rid of the MSG. We appreciate the all vegetarian oasis.

Pros: extensive menu-easy to find grain-free , better decor than most in 'hood
Cons: disinterested service, poor ventilation-bathroom smell in DR, MSG used
lasquizee
lasquizee

Great food & ambiance!!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2010

Great food and ambiance. If you don't speak Vietnamese, then they will find someone who speaks English for you. This place is authentic so expect to not only eat authentic food, but to have a Vietnamese experience! This restaurant is now my fave!

Pros: Authentic food
Cons: Charges for water
DaveDave
DaveDave

Bo De Tinh Tam Chay-Charges for Tap water!

2 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2010

They don't speak English very well and will charge you for a glass of tap water on top of a $30 bill($1). The waiter brought us the wrong food at one point and expected us to accept/pay for it. The food was OK. I won't return here, though; unfriendly atmosphere.I really feel this place deserves 1 cow but it won't let me do that...

Pros: ok food, pretty decor
Cons: charges for water!!, dirty/sticky floor, unfriendly, poor English.
cjlombardo
cjlombardo

Absolutely Fantastic!

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2010

Bo De Tinh Tam Chay, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways... Delicious food at very affordable prices, the staff is ALWAYS friendly and helpful! Also the interior is very interesting - a fun place to hang out with some good friends and enjoy a wholesome vegan meal.

Pros: Curry Bread, Vermicelli dishes, Atomosphere
Cons: More booths would be nice...
flytheorient
flytheorient

really really really BAD

2 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2010

Pass on this place people..Never had anything so bland in my life..Over priced and the staff wasn't that friendly.

There are many other great vegan places in the area.

Pros: nice clean place
Cons: food is terrible, overpriced
max123
max123

We had a good experience here, This place has a gr

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2009

the staff is friendly and The environment is incredibly beautiful and the food is incredibly good!I highly recommend this place for family dinners,lunch, going with friends, etc.
The price is very reasonable, they definitely have food presentation in mind, They do a great job of creating traditional fleshy Viet dishes for the veggie denizens of the OC. Try com Phu Chuc Ca Kho To,Vege. fish stew wiht rice and Banh mi carri, French bread with vege. carri SOOOO GOOD LOVE IT!

Dear Owner and Manager of Bo De Tinh Tam Chay - Beach Blvd: