Blue Sage Vegetarian Grille

Small restaurant with nice atmosphere and white tablecloths. Reservation suggested for dinners, especially on Friday and Saturday. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International
772 2nd Street Pike
Southampton, Pennsylvania 18966
215-942-8888

Open Tue-Thur 11:30am-3pm, 4:30-9pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-3pm, 4:30-10pm.

• Reservations required

First Review by elisabethdean
kuddy831
kuddy831

So Much Flavor!!

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

Again I'm a falafel junky and their falafel wrap is the bomb, even the next day cold from the fridge. Haven't had a bad meal here yet!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Huge portions
Cons: Small establishment, A little on the pricey side
JAnneGreene
JAnneGreene

Disappointed

3 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

Not terrible, just mediocre and overrated. Food preparation not very sophisticated.

Pros: cute decor, friendly staff
Cons: food only fair
moolene
moolene

A must see!

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

I love Blue Sage! Very accomodating for a small restaurant. I wish they were bigger, I think the area could support it! Menu is awesome and I have never had any complaints. The whistlestop sammy *frid green tomato sandwich* is to die for!

Pros: Good food, great menu, You get what you pay for!
shoshana
shoshana

Yummy

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2011

I wish I were in Philly so I could go back there. It is at the top of my list for places to eat whenever I return. The veggie sliders are amazing!

Betht
Betht

Great food! Knowledgable about gluten free.

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2011

I've been to the popular veg restaurants in Philadelphia area, but this one in Southampton is my favorite. The appetizers are what my husband & I like the most. The staff is wonderful about gluten free (they even have GF desserts). The food has a very unique flair.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 21, 2011

Pros: creative, great staff, gluten free
Cons: busy, need reservtion on weekends, close tables
snowy11480
snowy11480

Highly Recommended!

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2011

I've gone here several times now and continue to be pleased with the place. I live in the Philadelphia area - and if i had to pick one vegetarian place to go in the area - this is definitely it. All their food is so fresh and very tasty! I've tried many menu items and love trying new dishes.

Two awesome appetizers - blue corn asparagus tacos and the buddha crunchy tacos. both are great but the buddha tacos blew me away with flavor:) !! I'm also dying to try the green curry summer rolls (looks good!).

Main course - i adore the sonoma sampler. Its massive and easily shared between two people (as most all of the entrees are!). But this platter has so many delicious treats on it and the flavor rocks!

I've also tried the green curry sheperds pie - its very good but i was slightly disappointed because it wasn't quite as expected. It is actually more like a stew. Very good but i wasn't expecting a stew but a veganized sheperds pie. While it was tasty, I wasn't blown away and missed my sonoma platter ha. Im anxious to try more entrees.

Dessert - you cannot go wrong with the Hazelnut Toffee Basket!! I have this every time and can't bring myself to try another other dessert this one is so amazing!

I love that this place is a BYOB too - keeps the cost down. Speaking of cost, I feel their prices are more than fair, especially considering the huge portions.

A few things to keep in mind - its very small. If you want to go, make a reservation. I've never even attempted to walk in this place without one. Additionally - the place is not marked well. It is small and hard to see from the road, particularly in the dark. They need a larger sign i think.

Pros: Wonderful options, Very fresh food, great staff
Cons: Tiny place!, hard to spot from road
greenbluegray
greenbluegray

Savory vegetarian and vegan

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2010

It's my fantasy to start something like this locally so people can see that being a vegetarian is not about deprivation. Blue Sage offers savory, hearty, flavorful food that is simply wonderful cuisine. It seems to attract a diverse crowd who cannot all possibly be vegetarian. I plan on dragging all my friends here, because I cannot cook like this and wonder how they do it. I try to scope out the vegan dishes but could not resist the Wild Mushroom Risotto with goat cheese. This is not spare cooking nor is it low-fat. We were stuffed with 2 entrees and a soup.

Decor is warm and earthy and elegant, and the service is friendly and excellent and non-intrusive. Reservations are needed; we saw people coming in the whole time, and there is not much room to wait. In fact, there is not much room at all, and my one wish is that there was more space between the tables to give you a bit more privacy. Unless you are a supermodel, you will be brushing many tables on your way to the bathroom. Maybe they will expand some day.

It's funny to see people dressed in dinner jackets alongside people in hoodies. I am getting a little bossy here, but I think one's dining experience is improved by fancying up just a bit to honor the occasion.

It's amazing that Blue Sage is BYOB, which cuts your bill in half if you are a wine drinker. Entrees are about $20 each and well worth it, though you can order from the more casual section where dishes were around $12. I'd also love to get a sampling of their amazing appetizers sometime. I wish for the day when people will get a craving for vegetarian like they do for sushi or Indian.

• Betht Betht

I like that you see people dressed up and people dressed down. It is accepting to all and doesn't have that snobby trendy city feel to it.

aeclarke
aeclarke

Great Place Outside of Philly

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2010

My husband and I went here on our anniversary weekend. The portions were huge and the soup was delicious. I had the Khorma, and it was delicious! I wish we lived closed so I could have had a doggie bag! We made every attempted to have one of the amazing sounding desserts offered, but were just too full to try one. But it will give up a reason to come back the next time we are in Philly!

My only complain about the place is that it's a little small and the tables are close together so you can feel a little crowded sometimes. Also, definitely make reservations!

thomasmagee
thomasmagee

Delicious!

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2010

I was just there with my mom for lunch. It was a cozy place and our server was very pleasant. The food was delicious and affordable. I would recommend the Serrano!

Pros: delicious food, affordable, nice staff
Cons: place is a bit small
cardensphoto
cardensphoto

Love it

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2009

I used to live in the southampton area and LOVE this restaurant. I moved about 2 years ago very far away and every time I come back to visit and visit here everytime. The food is fresh, yummy and awesome. Their dressings are to die for and I could safely eat anything on the menu and be totally happy with it. Nice, cozy place to eat in as well. Best time to go is with a reservation or call ahead.

Pros: Fresh , Innovative, Interesting menu items
Cons: Have to reserve if you plan on eating in, dinner can be a little pricey, none
Yoshi
Yoshi

Amazing place...

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2009

The best vegetarian restaurant in the Philly area. I've never been dissapointed by anything I've ordered off of their unique menu. Many items are, or can be made dairy free. Lunch and dinner menus are similar, although lunch is much cheaper. A great place to go for city quality food without the drive into Philly. As other reviewers have mentioned, reservations are highly recommended for dinner. Definitely a safe bet to take your non-veggie friends.

Pros: Great food, Non-veggies will love it, Great food
Cons: Can be very crowded/loud, Tiny parking lot
Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts

My Non-Veg, Skeptical Parents Loved The Blue Sage

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2009

This is probably my favorite restaurant ever. Not only are the dishes diverse and creative, they're indisputably delicious. Service is friendly, the owner shows visible delight when you compliment his food and staff. BYOB. Make sure to make reservations. Space is limited and they're always busy.

Pros: Delicious food, friendly staff, artistically presented
carolynpsu
carolynpsu

Love it!

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

The food is delicious and the prices are reasonable. Soups are fantastic and sandwiches and salads are large. BYOB saves some $ as well. Staff is courteous. Make dinner reservations well in advance. My first visit wasn't as good as my subsequent due to short staff and cold dining room, but every visit since has been great.

Pros: awesome soups, tasty food, good value
Cons: dining room small
KATHLEEN W.
KATHLEEN W.

Great place in Bucks County!

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2008

I love Blue Sage. The food is awesome, and the people are very friendly.

Pros: Great food, Vegan items, Location
Cons: Too small, Not many new items on menu, Closed on Sunday
marybheine
marybheine

A favorite place

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2008

How fortunate we are in Bucks Co, PA to have this delectable restaurant in our neighborhood. One can share just the falafel with one other diner, and it is enough food. The potato and corn chowder is so good, that it's become a recipe I make myself at home. However, to order the soup plus an entree is WAY too much food. It's best to go when they first open for dinner, as the place is very small, and fills up quickly. Reservations are a must. I also adore the salads as an entree. Tasty sun-dried tomatoes and interesting polenta croutons. I brag about this restaurant all the time. Always nice staff, knowledgeable about the food, very earthy type people working there.

Pros: tasty food, falafel sandwich, quaint atmosphere
Cons: very small space, only one location
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

Vegan "super-friendly".....

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2008

From - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/food/20080717_Memorable_Vegan_Meals.html

........ vegan choices like sweet, chewy, crunchy Green Curry BBQ Summer Rolls and the Cubano Supper, which features plantain pastries stuffed with sunflower seed and red pepper pesto,......

melindashaw
melindashaw

Good, but Expensive

3 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2008

I recently visited this restaurant on a family vacation to Sesame Place. The menu was very unusual but the food itself was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty the food was. I especially enjoyed the quesadillas (sp?) with soy chesse instead of dairy cheese. The only drawback was that it was a little expensive, although it did have nice size portions.

Rurob
Rurob

Healthy, tasty and good for you

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2008

The food and wait staff are so good. My taste buds have never tasted such interesting ways of preparing vegetables. Delicious and good for you. I wish I could eat my lunch and dinner there every day, not just once a week.

Pros: Tasty ways of fixing vegetables, healthy cuisine, excellent food
Cons: noisy when a lot of people are there
elisabethdean
elisabethdean

Highly recommended!

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2007

This seems to be one of the few REAL restaurants in the area that caters to vegetarians FIRST. I follow a vegan diet, and it is always a nice change to go into a restaurant and not have to scour the menu to find one or two suitable things to eat (and also not to feel like a freak for asking them to leave off cheese, sour cream, etc.)! The atmosphere is great and the there is a wide selection of vegetarian dishes that can be made vegan. Reservations are often needed. Bring your own wine. It is also nice, because it is a true restaurant--not just a small cafe/juice bar/deli. It is a place to bring out of town guests and they won't feel at all deprived at being "forced" to go to a vegetarian restaurant. (Also see "Natural Village" Chinese Restaurant listing)

Pros: Caters to Vegetarians!, Lots of choices!, nice, sit down atmosphere
Cons: reservations often required, can be crowded

Dear Owner and Manager of Blue Sage Vegetarian Grille: