The Blue Plate Diner

Serves meat, veg options available. Diner offering breakfast all day, has a vegan chili plus breakfast burrito, pita and hummus, salads, drinks. Older style diner set up with art on walls and old items. Vegan items are marked on the menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by Roethke
Navegante
Navegante

Pretty Good......but not great.

3 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

I went here on a Sunday with my kids. The parking was a bit tricky because pulling in right by the restaurant on the South side leads to a dead-end with only a few spaces (all were taken). There is street parking, but we found a lot on the North side of the restaurant had the best open spots. The place was very busy and extremely loud. It was difficult to hear my kid sitting next to me. If they give you an option, sit inside where you'll find all the great decor. The enclosed patio area is pretty dull. The menu lists some vegetarian and vegan options, but they aren't clear, or all together and there isn't a symbol to point them out. The menu is on their website - so you can see what I mean. I asked the server, who helped me find a few options. For vegan breakfast, I had the option of pancakes, breakfast burrito, or tofu scramble. I went with the burrito. The wait for the food was a bit long, but they were swamped. My burrito was a tortilla filled with black beans, some tofu, hash browns, and topped with salsa, guacamole, peppers and olives. It was pretty good, and a good size. My kids got pancakes (not vegan) and hashbrowns - which were good. The staff are young, hip, but not the best or most attentive. Our water was empty and didn't get filled, and we had to flag someone down for a straw for my toddler. Not a huge deal, but not a great experience either. I spoke with the manager to verify the information listed on the Happy Cow website, and he wasn't very friendly. Overall, it was OK - but not great. I would have liked a few more vegan options, better customer service, and a quieter environment to eat in. If you want a busy, funky-decorated, with hip servers, this might be the place for you. For me, I'll drive to Vertical Diner next time. :-)

Pros: Cool decor, Young hip staff, Food tastes pretty good
Cons: Staff not attentive or overly friendly, Diner is very busy and really loud, Not tons of vegan & no kids vegan menu
LollyDuRand
LollyDuRand

order the bannana pancakes! skip the tofu scramble

3 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

Blue Plate Diner has a unique atmosphere with license plates from around the country hanging up. The staff was friendly and they have old fashion soda pop.

The vegan menu items were clearly labeled and the staff was knowledgeable.

The pancakes were great and you can order them with fruit built right in. They also offer Earth Balance butter.

Only complaint, my husband ordered the "tofu scramble with toast", but it wasn't you're standard scramble, it was cubes of tofu with sauteed mushrooms and broccoli and an asian sauce on the side, and toast. Seemed more like a stir fry than an all american faux egg breakfast. recipe needs tweeking.

Pros: huge portions, classic roadside diner feel, many vegan options
Cons: menu lacks descriptions
lindsloulou
lindsloulou

Love this place

4 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2012

This is one of my favorite restaurant It not only has great food but the atmosphere is fun and friendly.

Pros: Good food, friendly servers, outside dinning
Cons: small building
ceciface
ceciface

Unlucky Breakfast

1 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

It might have been a freak unlucky occasion that the first time we were to visit this establishment, that our order ticket was somehow lost and we waited for over an hour for our meal as we watched countless others sit after us, eat and leave before we even smelled our orders. The owner came and apologized and offer to complete half of our meal and 30 minutes later we got our order. Our group included two vegetarians, two vegans and a omni and we had similar experiences with the final meal. The veggie plate and sma (spinach, mushrooms and avocado) Benedict were enjoyable for the vegetarians; they both finished their meals. But the vegan options were disappointing. I ordered the vegan pancakes with blueberries and it came with home fries. The pancakes were bland and undercooked despite the added fresh blueberries, while the homefries though a large portion were under seasoned. The other vegan dish was the tofu scramble with vegetables, which more accurately should be labeled tofu stirfry with vegetables. It was also a large portion with few cubes of tofu accompanied with a scallion soy sauce dressing, hardly a scramble and very much a basic stirfry. The waitress and owner did attempt to redeem themselves for the hour wait for our food with apologies and offering half off our meals but they miscalculated the check and since half of our group were mathematicians, we asked that they recalculate the check.

Pros: Decent portions
Cons: Bland vegan options, Poor service
solarkismet
solarkismet

Great vegetarian diner food

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2010

It's not Vertical Diner (all vegan) but it's a good alternative with lots of veg options. Tasty and fast.

Pros: Lots of choices, Breakfast all day
Cons: Not pure veg
VeganNikki
VeganNikki

Vegetarian Great, Vegan not so great!

3 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2009

They have a few really good meatless options but nothing is absolutely fantastic. I love the hummus and pita bread. The vegetarian chili is also really good. For Vegans I would recommend the tofu breakfast burrito.

Pros: Really Cute Diner, Friendly staff, Yummy coffee!
Cons: Not that many Vegan options, Some things are bland, Pretty cheap
Roethke
Roethke

Bland and pricey

1 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2007

Bland. I didn't know it was possible to ruin a portabello mushroom burger. You've got to be seriously committed to not seasoning anything to make that inedible. My meaty friends love it, but from now on, I'll eat beforehand and just get a coffee.

Pros: cool decor
Cons: noisy, pricey, bland

Dear Owner and Manager of The Blue Plate Diner: